Another one has left the nest.....

ZD241_VC10

Re: Bruntingthorpe Closure?

Post by ZD241_VC10 »

Burleysway wrote:
Mon 27 Jul 2020, 12:07 pm
BBC covering the VC10

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-53528017
BBC News actually offered to come and film a piece at the aircraft; sadly they were not given permission to be on site.

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

ZD241_VC10 wrote:
Mon 27 Jul 2020, 2:33 pm
Burleysway wrote:
BBC covering the VC10

BBC News actually offered to come and film a piece at the aircraft; sadly they were not given permission to be on site.
Hardly surprising in the circumstances.... I suspect Cox won't even like this now making BBC website let alone making BBC TV..... :smirk:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Why assume everything is the fault of Cox.......
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Post by 106500 »

One thing I would like to see is an inventory of jet aircraft which have been present in say the last 20 years at Brunty? Quite a list I’d imagine (how many Jet Provosts for one!).

Maybe this could indicate which of these as a minimum have run their engines?

Take for example the Sea Vixen; now I recall about 10 or less years ago seeing one engine being run up. Sadly I think that’s as far as things got for one reason or another and it is just one of the many disappointments that we probably won’t ever see it fast taxy 😢

Also another challenge might be to have a top 10 of memorable public moments over the years there - e.g who can forget XH558s visit/departure or 3 Buccaneers starting up at the far end of the runway for a fast taxy, the Lightning streamed pairs etc, etc and of course dare I say it, the last flight of the Victor 😀. The list is endless - just a thought!

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Anatoli with his Su27 paired display gets my vote!
Got to love Russianhardware

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

106500 wrote:
Mon 27 Jul 2020, 7:36 pm

Take for example the Sea Vixen; now I recall about 10 or less years ago seeing one engine being run up. Sadly I think that’s as far as things got for one reason or another and it is just one of the many disappointments that we probably won’t ever see it fast taxy 😢
Then I must have been dreaming or delusional when I went there only a couple of years ago and took the fake video on my phone of the Sea Vixen running its engines and unfolding and re-folding its wings.....
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

106500 wrote:
Take for example the Sea Vixen; now I recall about 10 or less years ago seeing one engine being run up. Sadly I think that’s as far as things got for one reason or another and it is just one of the many disappointments that we probably won’t ever see it fast taxy
Well it certainly has moved under its own power?
This from 2014 as an example:

Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

Post by 106500 »

hunterxf382 wrote:
Mon 27 Jul 2020, 9:58 pm
106500 wrote:
Take for example the Sea Vixen; now I recall about 10 or less years ago seeing one engine being run up. Sadly I think that’s as far as things got for one reason or another and it is just one of the many disappointments that we probably won’t ever see it fast taxy
Well it certainly has moved under its own power?
This from 2014 as an example:

That’s a useful update and I’d overlooked that the airframe had made some slow runs more recently. I suppose though that the end result is the same i.e. that engine runs will cease completely (I’d speculate that in future the only aircraft with any prospect of turning their engines over might be the Lightnings). Does anyone have any thoughts on whether there is any prospect of the Vixen moving elsewhere?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

The main strap-line I noticed from the Beeb article is the following:
Bruntingthorpe's owners say however, no aircraft is to be scrapped.
This seems to me to be contradictory to everything else we’ve heard?

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

For all the 'Walton bashing' elsewhere online which is pretty shameful, my understanding is DW is paying - from his own pocket - to clear the pan behind the Q Shed with a view to laying extra concrete to give a hardstanding for many resident aircraft - some of which he owns, some of which he doesnt.

The whole Cox business decision was made by the Walton Family but DW is the aviation face of the company so he has unfairly taken all the flak whilst the rest of the family haven't. He is a terrific bloke and as I've said before - have faith in him - he was the motor for providing a home for many many vintage aircraft over the past 30 odd years and didnt charge the owners a bean for keeping them there. I'm sure he will do all he can to come up with a compromise given the business decision made by CW Ltd to lease the land to Cox.

Whilst fast taxy runs may be out, engine runs haven't been ruled out and the Cox lease is for ten years.....

TT

Mike

Post by Mike »

What's the situation with the Beech TT?

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

Hi Mike,

I'm not so involved up there as I was mate, I believe she has been sold, I suspect the Cox situation will result in her being moved on sooner rather than later as well as G-CPPM. TOMC has been mothballed for some years, though the FB is progressing well.

ATB

TT

Archer

Post by Archer »

Burleysway wrote:
BBC covering the VC10

There are two useful points that (in my view) should be added to this story:
  • The statement that no aircraft will be scrapped may not relate to the VC10(s) as these are not owned by DW.
  • David Walton is indeed doing his best to set up a separate area to store aircraft, but based on the notice that the VC10 group have received, the VC10s are not included in this deal.
Apart from that, I hope that the BBC's coverage will at least support the fundraising efforts.

ZD241_VC10

Post by ZD241_VC10 »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Mon 27 Jul 2020, 6:02 pm
In this case it was Cox who denied permission for the filming of a minor news piece covering the efforts to move at least one VC10 to a new home.

ZD241_VC10

Post by ZD241_VC10 »

Archer wrote:
Tue 28 Jul 2020, 2:24 pm
Burleysway wrote:
BBC covering the VC10

There are two useful points that (in my view) should be added to this story:
  • The statement that no aircraft will be scrapped may not relate to the VC10(s) as these are not owned by DW.
  • David Walton is indeed doing his best to set up a separate area to store aircraft, but based on the notice that the VC10 group have received, the VC10s are not included in this deal.
Apart from that, I hope that the BBC's coverage will at least support the fundraising efforts.
They had that detail available. The most recent statement came out the same morning permission was refused to film on site; in fact it was a BBC contact who passed the news of that statement to the group.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Can anyone clarify for me.....

Did David Walton own the whole sight? Or was it thathe merely had shared ownership with other members of his family?
Got to love Russianhardware

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

ZD241_VC10 wrote:
Tue 28 Jul 2020, 4:57 pm
Brevet Cable wrote:
In this case it was Cox who denied permission for the filming of a minor news piece covering the efforts to move at least one VC10 to a new home.
Fair enough in that respect.

How much can be laid at the door of the Waltons, though, for appearing to have caused the situation in the first place?
After all, by all accounts Cox are merely leasing the land from them...so if the Walton family had any concerns for the aircraft you'd have thought some clause in the land lease would have been included to prevent the current situation arising.
아직도 숨어있다

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

The great British Blame Culture rears its ugly head again.

In the words of a certain commentator about a certain tin triangle:

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

I was a fairly regular visitor to Bruntingthorpe but wonder how many castigating both parties ever actually supported the events.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Bit slow on the uptake there, that started about a week ago.....or didn't that count as it was posters blaming Cox for everything......
아직도 숨어있다

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Wed 29 Jul 2020, 7:41 am
Bit slow on the uptake there, that started about a week ago.....or didn't that count as it was posters blaming Cox for everything......
Not that slow - just thought I'd keep quiet (for a change, some would say!). How's the home brew? mega one being prepared for Fairford '21 I hope.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Wed 29 Jul 2020, 6:27 am
ZD241_VC10 wrote:
Tue 28 Jul 2020, 4:57 pm
Brevet Cable wrote:
Fair enough in that respect.

How much can be laid at the door of the Waltons, though, for appearing to have caused the situation in the first place?
After all, by all accounts Cox are merely leasing the land from them...so if the Walton family had any concerns for the aircraft you'd have thought some clause in the land lease would have been included to prevent the current situation arising.
Business is business.
David Walton isn't getting any younger, and he is the aviation enthusiast from what I recall, and I'm not sure how much interest his family have in that......I suspect not much.
I would guess when he passed control of the business over to the family when he 'retired' that's the point at which, things started to change. Maybe they were not as keen on working for a living as he had been....and so with the aviation side of the business on site coming to nothing because of the locals objections, the family have taken the easy way out and leased the site and let someone else do the car business, and Cox probably thought this would be an easy out by just serving some letters and all that old crap would be gone in 6 months.

No one person is to blame.....you only have to look at whats happening with FHC in Seattle now Paul Allen has gone to see what can happen in situations like this.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

iainpeden wrote:
Wed 29 Jul 2020, 7:56 am
How's the home brew? mega one being prepared for Fairford '21 I hope.
Grapes still growing, so no wine yet this year.
No home brew yet, as still working my way through what I've already got....including the supplies for this year's non-RIAT.

Rest assured I'll have sorted out one or two brews for next year, possibly including a lager :cowboy:
아직도 숨어있다

rob68

Post by rob68 »

Bruntingthorpe moments,
XH558 delivery
XS904 delivery
Tristars delivery in the dark
Standing mid way on the runway with the other Lightning, nose in air about 15' away, chute popping and dropping in front of us, the Lightning disappearing from view
Watching someone walking up to a Lightning after a run, getting too close and burning nose
Walking past a parked SU27 and going, meeahh, its just that again
Last flight of Nimrod
Last flight of VC10
Getting sponge cake from upstairs in the main building at the 1st Lightning photo shoot in 89 when you had to pay extra to photograph