The UK Airshow Review Podcast

Announcements from UK Airshow Review and our partners
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Re: The UK Airshow Review Podcast

Post by Wissam24 »

UKAR's very own Andy Evans (boff180) joins us this week! Andy has volunteered at Scampton Airshow and RIAT the last few years and we picked his brains about what that involves. We also take the opportunity, as if we needed it, to reminisce in RIAT memories!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

This week we break out the bagpipes and get a haggis on the stove as we're talking about Scottish airshows with UKAR's own Gordon Duncan. He takes us dirty southerners through the legacy of the famous Leuchars airshow, what made that show so special and so world-renowned, as well as the other display venues found north of the border. We also have a little chat about photography preferences and the retirement of the British Airways 747s.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

EGL

Post by EGL »

Wissam24 wrote:
Sun 18 Oct 2020, 12:54 pm

This week we break out the bagpipes and get a haggis on the stove as we're talking about Scottish airshows with UKAR's own Gordon Duncan. He takes us dirty southerners through the legacy of the famous Leuchars airshow, what made that show so special and so world-renowned, as well as the other display venues found north of the border. We also have a little chat about photography preferences and the retirement of the British Airways 747s.
Really enjoyed listening to the latest episode - has made me very nostalgic! Sounds like I'm of a similar age to Gordon and enjoyed many of the same Leuchars airshows he mentioned. Few other notable highlights for me from various years not mentioned were the Dutch F-27 displays especially the flypasts with one prop feathered, F-111 display and one particular year sitting in massive queues to get out, darkness setting in and watching the MH-53 which had been in the static starting up. I was looking through the Scramble reports to jog my memory on various years and hadn't realised that some of my other memories were all from 1991 - Russian Knights, Gulf War theme (I even got my picture in the front of a Tornado with John Peters, John Nicol doing the photography since he was the less famous of the two then!), US Navy in the static (A-6, F-14, F-18) and a large USAF participation (as you discussed). I also remember the year with the terrible weather - one of the few items to get of the ground was the Sentry which kindly did some circuits for us.

It's prompted me to buy a slide/film scanner and start scanning in some of my old pictures and will give me a good excuse to get out my old albums and go through them - if they're any good I'll post some up here.

Real shame it's gone and we don't have anything like it north of the border. East Fortune and Ayr are good shows but they do miss out on the static side. I found East Fortune got a bit samey but that changed once Air Tattoo Event Services got involved. Usually managed to get some interesting items and unique formations. Hoping the guys behind SIA can get something sorted out wither with South Ayrshire Council or elsewhere. With the crowds to see the An-225 and the Reds visit there's definitely a demand. I did hear of people travelling a fair distance for the An-225 so maybe they'll realise it's not that far to come up for an airshow. Ayr is a great location as it's only 40 mins on the train from Glasgow and it's the same line as Glasgow Airport so can easily be done without a car.

Interesting discussion also regarding the geography of airshows. In the past I'd been to various airshows in Blackpool (the airport not the sea front), Woodford and Breighton which from Glasgow were do-able in a day driving (3-4 hours each way). Even more recently Duxford in a day was also possible with cheap flights to Stanstead and train/bus but with less frequency on Glasgow or Prestwick to Stanstead it's much less of an option. Any airshows do usually need a couple of days (which was easier to get away with before kids) unless I can manage to plan them round family holidays - or it the other way round :smiley:

Thought it would be interesting to see airshows mapped out - Flightline does have a page but unfortunately groups them if you zoom out too far - https://www.air-shows.org.uk/2019/01/uk ... ion-guide/

Euan

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I'm really glad to see the memories its brought up for you - it was very cool hearing Gordon talk about Leuchars which is a show that always seemed to garner such huge praise and one I always wish I'd been able to go to.

It's awesome that the podcast has prompted you to get a slide scanner too! Can't wait to see what you've got 😃

Meanwhile, our latest episode today talks about Flying Display Directors!

The role of Flying Display Director is one that is absolutely essential to the airshow world, one that most enthusiasts are aware of but that most people probably don't really know what it actually involves. We spoke with Dave Walton, director of TSA Consulting Ltd, who has been a Flying Display Director (FDD) for many years and has been involved in the global airshow industry for even longer, for a genuinely fascinating chat about what the position entails and what an FDD does over an airshow season as well as picking his brains on the state of many aspects of the industry.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

We're going on a holiday this week!

At exactly the time when people are really feeling the lack of going on holiday we thought it'd be a good idea to bring it all up again. We're chatting about the hobby overseas this week, especially the foreign airshows which have become increasingly common on a British enthusiast's calendar as the domestic market has shrunk. Sam also tells us about some hairy encounters in Russia.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

What's interesting? Why do we find particular planes interesting over others? Why do we like aviation full stop? We make an absolute hash of answering these questions and more in episode 24 where we try and work out exactly what creates interest for us in the hobby. We also chat about the new "Russian Spitfire" out of Hangar 11 and discuss our lockdown quizzes.

The Republic of Artsakh's Zenith STOL CH 701s!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Just the two podders in this episode. Because the rest of us are all flakes, Sam and Dan talk about aviation museums - what makes a "good" aviation museum, their particular favourite examples both in the UK and abroad, and Sam's favourite aircraft registration of all time!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

We give our thoughts on the last year!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

New podcast!

I’m not in this one, but the guys tell me it’s a corker, so, like me, stick the kettle on, put off the household chores this weekend and get it in your ears:

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Tommy wrote:
Sat 22 Jan 2022, 11:06 am
New podcast!

I’m not in this one, but the guys tell me it’s a corker, so, like me, stick the kettle on, put off the household chores this weekend and get it in your ears:

enjoyed that! especially about the double glazing stands and gypsy which you get at every airshow

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Another episode for you to enjoy then - we spoke to Eskil Amdal about his piloting career including as part of the Norwegian test programme for the F-35. He also told us about his 2020 crash in WG655

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Nige joins a slightly smaller team for this episode to chat about our favourite airshow memories.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

New podcast! Sam, IanG and I talk about airshow news, discuss the question of too many props at RIAT, Swedish rumours, and Cosford Airshow comms:

Skyraider262

Post by Skyraider262 »

Hello,

Thanks for making the effort to post another podcast. I look forward to them and learn something as a result. I've been going to airshows regularly for over 25 years so I am pleased that there is always something I get from them.

If I can make one point on an element from your last podcast. Try not to get too frustrated with the negative comments about a line up for a show. They tend to be voiced by a minority even if their voice can be loud. Most people enjoy them even if they had reservations before.

Please keep them coming as, so far, you have inspired me to go to Europe for a show this year. Who knows where else I will end up after having the benefit of your insight.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Noted - grateful for the feedback!

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Enjoyable listen that! FWIW the last IAC flying display at an event held in mainland Britain was Leuchars in 2005 where they flew the PC-9 four ship.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Skyraider262 wrote:
Tue 31 May 2022, 7:15 am
Who knows where else I will end up after having the benefit of your insight.
Next episode Wonsan Air Festival retrospective confirmed

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

Been listening to the back catalogue. Enjoying them a lot. Looking forward to the next ones!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Latest episode has some rather exiting news about our very own Dan Ledwood!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

It's our Cosford Air Show episode!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

We give our thoughts on Top Gun Maverick, but most importantly, the FRIAT price hikes.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Hyped yet?

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

It's the one we've all been waiting for - our episode reflecting on RIAT. We look at our highlights, discuss how good it felt to be back and chat about that vibe RIAT has.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Just caught up with the podcast. Waiting now who is that guest in the next one, Peter Reoch?
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

aviodromefriend wrote:
Tue 02 Aug 2022, 6:44 pm
Just caught up with the podcast. Waiting now who is that guest in the next one, Peter Reoch?
Nope, a few clue, he’s a pilot not from the UK
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale