Blackburn Beverley anyone?

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
Berf

Re: Blackburn Beverley anyone?

Post by Berf »

The Last Remaining Blackburn Beverley Is Saved from Scrapheap

The last remaining Blackburn Beverley, has been saved from the scrapheap, thanks to an anonymous benefactor and Condor Aviation.

First built in 1952 by Blackburn in Brough, East Yorkshire, the 49 built Beverley aircraft were some of the largest planes in existence, with a wing span of nearly 50m and capable of carrying more than 90 paratroopers at any given time.

On his decision to save the Blackburn Beverley, Martyn Wiseman, Managing Director of Condor Aviation, said: “The Blackburn has had an esteemed history, and as a fan of radial engine aircraft, I couldn’t bear to see this go the same way as all the others.

“Working with a benefactor who shares my passion, we secured the XB259, along with a large number of artefacts relating to its history, from Fort Paull when the heritage site was auctioned off in late September.”

Plans are afoot to move the plane to Birchwood Lodge, a private airfield in Yorkshire, just a few miles up the road from where the Beverley was built and will remain there until its final days. Members of the public will be invited to visit the plane at its new site, and there are plans to create a library and exhibition of some of the additional artefacts purchased with the plane.

Condor Aviation has until June 2021 to move the huge plane, and that in itself will be a major engineering feat. But, with some of the best aviation engineers on their staff, and a wealth of experience in restoring historical aircraft, Mr. Wiseman doesn’t think it will be a problem, other than the sheer costs involved:

“The first stage in moving the Beverley to its forever home will be to dismantle it and move it in parts. With a wingspan of nearly 50 metres, equivalent to two tennis courts end-to-end, and a fuselage so large you can fit a single decker bus inside, it will be an engineering feat in itself to move it. We anticipate the dismantle, move and reassembly to cost in excess of £100,000.

“We’ll be moving the plan in as few pieces as possible to preserve its structure - ideally each wing individually, and the main fuselage as a single unit. There are a number of moving options we’re exploring at the moment, but no option is cheap.”

To support the move, the team has launched a crowdfunding appeal to raise the funds needed to dismantle, move and rebuild the aircraft. With a range of incentives available, supporters will be able to benefit from their own generosity in a variety of ways.

“Any donation, however large or small, will help us towards our fundraising targets,” said Martyn. “You can donate £1 and become an owner of one of the 440,000 rivets that hold the beast together, or donate £259 for a historical guided tour of Yorkshire by air in our own 1939 radial engine aircraft; we don’t want to let this icon go the same way as the others.

He added; “The long-term plans for this aircraft are incredibly exciting, and whilst it’s too early to say anything in confidence, we hope this to be the first stage in providing a haven for veterans emotionally or physically affected by conflict. That’s why, anything above and beyond our target will be to work with and donate to Help for Heroes.”

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

There do seem a lot of mixed messages coming out.

A fan of radial engines, great, then apparently the engines will be up for sale, mmmmm.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Fuselage as a single piece in the move?

Wow, ok, i see the idea behind that, but does anyone know just how big the fuselage is? Will it fit under any bridges en route? Bridge standard is 16ft 6inches (clearance)
Wiki has the height as 38ft 9inches, which i would imagine is to the top of the tail fins standing on its undercart. Anyone know the height of the fuselage without tail and undercart?

I wonder if a 1 piece move with the fuselage on its side is possible if it fits within the 16ft 6inches bridge restrictions (dont forget the height from the road of the top of the flat bed trailer needs to be added and that must be around 2-3ft i'd have thought).

If possible that would be an impressive move.
Got to love Russianhardware

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

On a personal note I find it quite interesting that a much discussed six-figure estimate for the anticipated move cost, has now been committed into print!
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

Good luck to him and, as has been said, no one else has stepped-up to save the aircraft so it’s his to do what he likes with.

I’ve just had a look at the Crowdfunding page and it suffers, as so many of these appeals do, from a lack of clarity and vision. It’s not clear who anyone is donating their money to or whether or not this is a good cause or not. It’s all a bit vague. Who owns the aircraft? Is it Mr Wiseman or Condor Aviation? And who is the anonymous benefactor and does she or he have a stake in what’s going on? Is this a plan to save a unique aircraft or are donors simply subsidising someone’s plan to convert an aircraft into a BNB business?

There’s mention the aircraft and it’s surrounds will become a “haven” for veterans and that there is (or will be) some link with Help for Heroes. Nothing seems to have been through, though, and it’s not clear if the ‘veterans’ haven’ is the main thrust of the project or if it’s a commercial letting enterprise and vets will just get a discount when they book.

He says was looking at buying the aircraft for over a year, so I’d have hoped the plan would have been more fleshed-out by now. In my experience, if you’re asking for public contributions, you need to offer up a bit more info than at present if you’re to be successful.
Ken

Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

NAM Updater wrote:
Thu 12 Nov 2020, 10:31 am
On a personal note I find it quite interesting that a much discussed six-figure estimate for the anticipated move cost, has now been committed into print!
It says: “ ... in excess of £100,000”. That’s the same price as HS2.
Ken

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Or one of these
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54901982

Is the Super Guppy the new Cubbington pear tree though?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Ant.H

Post by Ant.H »

The quote about transporting the fuselage as one piece sounds a bit odd and optimistic. When she was last transported it was cut into top and bottom halves to make it roadable.

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Ant.H wrote:
Thu 12 Nov 2020, 12:19 pm
The quote about transporting the fuselage as one piece sounds a bit odd and optimistic. When she was last transported it was cut into top and bottom halves to make it roadable.
And isn't that why it's now got to be moved in one piece, as I seem to remember reading somewhere that it really wouldn't survive another chop up for a move?

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

just looking on googlecearth for a decent route from Paull to Birchwood Lodge it looks feasible to avoid low bridges.
some through town messing about looks probable, but it does, if my old eyes dont deceive me, looks as thiugh it could be shifted as 1 piece.

Mind you, would more people visit it at Birchwood Lodge? that doyen of historic aircraft attractions? Thats the other question..... but its his aircraft / air BnB now, so that question is moot i suppose.
Got to love Russianhardware

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Reading this alongside the Bruntingthorpe thread I'm wondering if all those who are saving historic airframes at the moment are going in the right direction.

First of all it's great that people want to save the Beverly, get a museum going at Bruntingthorpe and get a few Spey Phantoms together. However, certainly for the Beverly and the Phantoms wouldn't it have been better to link in with an existing museum to ensure adequate footfall to fund preservation if not conservation.

Lots of politics and funding I know but one of the Buccs has gone to somewhere near Burton where it will be the only attraction (as far as I know).

Just my thoughts.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Andover

Post by Andover »

Pledges coming in...not much time to reach the target though. (Link below)

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/save-the- ... y-aircraft

cometguymk1

Post by cometguymk1 »

Probably lost alot of goodwill from the Historic aviation fans after revealing the airbnb plans.

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Not sure the tone of the guy is making a hugely convincing case to donate, tbh.
"If we got £5,000 that's probably being generous. We have had no support from any charity, museum, the RAF, nobody.

"Everybody has an opinion, but if you are not prepared to help financially you have no right to pass comment.

"If we don't get the funding there's two options, to chop it up or leave it where it is. It's a shame, I think it's fantastic, such a monster."
It would indeed be a shame. And it’s a shame that there is no support or grants from the large museums or local/central government.

Mike

Post by Mike »

It’s also a shame that the guy bought it as a business proposition, didn’t do his sums properly, now expects others to pay for his lack of due diligence, and is already playing the blame game for the project’s failure.

Why would anyone expect there to be museum or government funding available for a private glamping venture?

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

Having heard some of the issues encountered when it was originally moved to Fort Paull I personally always felt that moving the Beverley again was a huge undertaking for any museum or individual to take on - the main requisite being very deep pockets to fund the dismantling, move and reassembly.

Challenging times!

purple_95

Post by purple_95 »

Here we go again, failed crowd funder, airframe at risk of the scrap. This situation is unfortunate enough but when one remembers it has come about as a failed attempt by the airframe owner to make a few quid using it for glamping a very ill advised plan to say the least sympathy runs out.

Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

Mike wrote:
Fri 22 Apr 2022, 10:28 am
It’s also a shame that the guy bought it as a business proposition, didn’t do his sums properly, now expects others to pay for his lack of due diligence, and is already playing the blame game for the project’s failure.

Why would anyone expect there to be museum or government funding available for a private glamping venture?
He said he had been “assured” people would come forward with the £100K to put the airframe back together again.

Assured by whom? They would seem to be the people to blame, not the people who chose not to donate their money to a private business.

And, I’m sorry, sticking a fundraising page on a website and expecting donations to come flooding as if by magic; it just doesn’t happen. You have to do a lot of legwork to make a Crowdfunding campaign work, engage with potential donors, have a convincing plan for the future, etc. I don’t recall hearing much from Condor Aviation in that regard.

It’s a shame - last surviving Beverley. It deserves better, although you could have said that about the one at Hendon, the one the RAF Museum didn’t care much for either.
Ken

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

It seems everyone but Wiseman saw this coming. After the fracas of a load of us from multiple museums volunteering to help with the move, then deciding not to get involved after his true plans came to light, I'm not surprised.
The thing that gave away that they really didn't have a clue what they were doing was the live interview they gave BBC Radio Humberside, claiming the airframe would be moved as an underslung load under Chinooks and we'd have the opportunity to see the Bev flying over the Humber Bridge...
Meteor WS788/ Chippy WK640 Restoration Project, YAM
Shack WR963, Coventry
Other types meddled with by request!

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

Blue_2 wrote:
Sat 23 Apr 2022, 6:34 am
....The thing that gave away that they really didn't have a clue what they were doing was the live interview they gave BBC Radio Humberside, claiming the airframe would be moved as an underslung load under Chinooks and we'd have the opportunity to see the Bev flying over the Humber Bridge...
Not heard that one before - priceless!!

Are you over for the Aeroboot/Aerojumble next Saturday, if so we need to compare notes?

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Blue_2 wrote:
Sat 23 Apr 2022, 6:34 am
It seems everyone but Wiseman saw this coming. After the fracas of a load of us from multiple museums volunteering to help with the move, then deciding not to get involved after his true plans came to light, I'm not surprised.
The thing that gave away that they really didn't have a clue what they were doing was the live interview they gave BBC Radio Humberside, claiming the airframe would be moved as an underslung load under Chinooks and we'd have the opportunity to see the Bev flying over the Humber Bridge...
:rofl:

But yes, none of this is a real surprise to anyone, well not anyone with half a brain cell of knowledge of the subject.

richw_82

Post by richw_82 »

Mr Wiseman's attitude problem and ignorance is what will kill the Bev. Loads of people offered sound advice about how to carry the move out and where to get funding, but all he wants is the chequebook out from anyone talking to him, and its seems to still be so.

"Everybody has an opinion, but if you are not prepared to help financially you have no right to pass comment."

Well, sorry, but no. Thats not how it works, and I can pass comment as pulling the tail feathers off (and engines off for sale.. ) hardly makes you the saviour, or give anyone confidence.

First and foremost its ignorant of the fact that most other heritage groups having big projects and Covid recovery ongoing. I've got my own big aircraft move in the offing, as have a few others in recent years, so you're unlikely to see my money.
Secondly if you're being an arrogant sod now, you're not really going to accept advice after being given cash anyway.

If he's not going to do the job, stop the bluffing and put it up for sale, and see if someone else will take it on. Threats of scrapping before you explore all other options is just a spiteful reaction over your own failings.
Richard Woods
Team leader Avro Shackleton WR963
2009 - 2016
2019 -
http://www.facebook.com/avro.shackleton

purple_95

Post by purple_95 »

Ken Shabby wrote:
Fri 22 Apr 2022, 10:59 pm
Mike wrote:
Fri 22 Apr 2022, 10:28 am

He said he had been “assured” people would come forward with the £100K to put the airframe back together again.

Assured by whom? They would seem to be the people to blame, not the people who chose not to donate their money to a private business.

And, I’m sorry, sticking a fundraising page on a website and expecting donations to come flooding as if by magic; it just doesn’t happen. You have to do a lot of legwork to make a Crowdfunding campaign work, engage with potential donors, have a convincing plan for the future, etc. I don’t recall hearing much from Condor Aviation in that regard.

It’s a shame - last surviving Beverley. It deserves better, although you could have said that about the one at Hendon, the one the RAF Museum didn’t care much for either.
Most likely assured either by mates or family (never the best people to test an idea out with in the cold hard light of day) or by the people who you tend to see on social media saying we can raise a couple of hundred grand in three weeks to save this or that airframe, or get this one moved somewhere and back to taxing or flight status, when anyone questions them the same answer as ever is "well look how much money got raised to fly the Vulcan"

I know of course some crowd funders for aviation do work well, for example the ones to get the three Buccs removed from Bruntingthorpe and kept in taxing condition, however those had clear aims, it said what would be done if the cash was found, by whom and when. This whole Beverley crowd funder had an element of "give us your money mate and we will sort it yeah" about it all.

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

NAM Updater wrote:
Sat 23 Apr 2022, 9:32 am
Are you over for the Aeroboot/Aerojumble next Saturday, if so we need to compare notes?
Doesn't look like it old chap. I'll be down for cockpitfest though, all being well.
Meteor WS788/ Chippy WK640 Restoration Project, YAM
Shack WR963, Coventry
Other types meddled with by request!