ANNOUNCEMENT - Forum loss

Announcements from UK Airshow Review and our partners
UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

ANNOUNCEMENT - Forum loss

Post by UK Airshow Review »

Hi. As you may have noticed, the forum has been down for several days. Unfortunately, on Monday, as part of a server migration process, we had an issue that resulted in the corruption of the forum database. At the same time, it became apparent that the backup process for the database had been failing without us realising, meaning that the last workable copy of the forum was from December 2020.

What this means is that all forum activity since early December 2020 has been lost. All posts, any new users, all activity is unfortunately gone. Anyone who joined in the last year will have to recreate their account, and if you've changed your password in that time, it won't be valid any more and you will have to use your old password, or reset it.

On the positive side, it's happened in the off-season, so there haven't been any ongoing discussions interrupted, and I'm sure all the mod team are happy to have lost the majority of that COVID-19 thread. If you've got any topics you'd like to recreate, such as airshow discussions or photo-threads, please jump right on it!

Thank you for your understanding, and if you need any help with anything please let me or the rest of the team know.

Sam

andygolfer

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT - Forum loss

Post by andygolfer »

thanks for your efforts guys despite the hiccups and it's nice to see that nobody has died in 2021
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

nighthawk999

Post by nighthawk999 »

Great to have you back again.

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Good that you're back but still no chance of winning the theme thread though.
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

CJS

Post by CJS »

Indeed, thanks for your efforts to get the UKAR forums back online 👍🏻
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Many thanks for all your time and effort to get the forum back - I missed it while it was gone!

Andy

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Welcome back, nothing much happened from December 2020 anyway.....

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

maybe we should have started from fresh anyway

Archer

Post by Archer »

Oh dear... that is quite a setback. Good to have the forums up and running again but it will be a major hiccup in the Duxford Diary and the WS788 restoration threads for example.

Robin

Post by Robin »

Thank you everyone for all your hard work, great to have you back. Robin.
Per Ardua ad Astra

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Archer wrote:
Sun 21 Nov 2021, 8:45 pm
Oh dear... that is quite a setback. Good to have the forums up and running again but it will be a major hiccup in the Duxford Diary and the WS788 restoration threads for example.
Yes... I'm slightly miffed to say the least...
Meteor WS788/ Chippy WK640 Restoration Project, YAM
Shack WR963, Coventry
Other types meddled with by request!

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

It’s been a kick in the proverbials for me losing a years worth of posts in the CWGC War Graves topic thread….

If I have the energy, I’ll try and fill the years gap back in over the next few months.

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

The internet archive seems to have saved a state on 17 Apr 21 if that helps anyone retrieve some of the lost posts.

https://web.archive.org/web/20210417055 ... ows.co.uk/

Edit, actually they seem to have saved the structure, but not individual posts 😢
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?

xkekeith

Post by xkekeith »

Not checking the backup is viable is a basic ‘school boy’ error !

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

xkekeith wrote:
Mon 22 Nov 2021, 11:25 am
Not checking the backup is viable is a basic ‘school boy’ error !
And yet one that affects organisations far bigger, far more expensive and far more important than UKAR :upside_down:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

The team are really sorry that the hard work of our members and that many wonderful threads have been lost in this incident. Including some fantastic project records.

The entire team here at UKAR are volunteers and do their best to maintain a community for you all to post in and enjoy, we wouldn’t be doing it if we didn’t enjoy reading your threads too.

Believe me when I say that all of us are devastated about what has happened but, we can’t change the past.

As the person that pays the bills around here I want to personally thank Sam for moving heaven and earth over the few days we were down in order rescue what he could - without his hard work we would still be down.

Recovering most of the database is a better result than losing it all in my book and I hope we can all move on to a successful 2022.

Yours,

Andy

xkekeith

Post by xkekeith »

Andy, despite my earlier comment I do appreciate that you and the other are volunteers and I am grateful that you all keep the site going for us to enjoy.... You are not alone with backup failures, a mate of mine lost the pictures of his new born child due to a hard disc failure and spent a 'lot' of money getting them recovered. Its lesson for us all, I now keep two backups just in case...... xkeKeith

elterwater

Post by elterwater »

I just want to express my thanks and appreciation to the team for recovering what they could. These things happen unfortunately and it's great that you were able to pull it back to a working level.

Here's to more chatter in 2022 :)

Al from OZ

Post by Al from OZ »

As an expat living in Australia, I visit Duxford Diary daily and have done for many years. Was lucky enough to visit Duxford several times when on holiday, loved it. The work you all put in is greatly appreciated, and I marvel at the photos and information supplied. Many thanks for everything the group does, hope it continues.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

BTW the website time seems to be on BST

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

If you mean the forum, rather than the website, that's for you to change in your User Control Panel.