Spiny Norman

Re: The UKAR politics thread

Post by Spiny Norman »

Ewart wrote:
Sat 21 Nov 2020, 10:29 am
Summary of the reports findings here:

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-politics-55015488

I'll let people make up their own mind.
She's a bully. It says it in the summary.

If we think bullying is acceptable, I'll want your dinner money on Monday or your head is going in the toilet pan!
Flight Time - the time-travel Battle of Britain Commando Comic out now

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Sat 21 Nov 2020, 10:57 am
Ewart wrote:

If we think bullying is acceptable, I'll want your dinner money on Monday or your head is going in the toilet pan!
You'll not be putting anyone's head down the toilet, I've covered it in clingfilm and removed the light bulbs. :smiling_imp:
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

toom317 wrote:
Sat 21 Nov 2020, 11:35 am
Spiny Norman wrote:
Ewart wrote:

You'll not be putting anyone's head down the toilet, I've covered it in clingfilm and removed the light bulbs. :smiling_imp:
that's so Priti of you.

vandal

Post by vandal »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Ewart wrote:

Timing couldn't be better - this is Anti Bullying Week. Way to go, PMBJ.👏👏

Edited to add -

It's ironic the Labour Deputy Leader Angela Rayner was heavily criticised for her choice of language used in the HOC at Conservative MP Chris Clarkson.

Funny how they find that unacceptable.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Well done Boris on a stonking trade deal with Canada that will no doubt help us recover from Covid..

.....even if it is exactly what we had before

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Berf wrote:
Sat 21 Nov 2020, 7:37 pm
Well done Boris on a stonking trade deal with Canada that will no doubt help us recover from Covid..

they have got to the point where something staying the same is seen as a win now and should be celebrated. i remember when it would be sunlit uplands and stuff

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

rockfordstone wrote:
Mon 23 Nov 2020, 9:36 am
Berf wrote:
Sat 21 Nov 2020, 7:37 pm

they have got to the point where something staying the same is seen as a win now and should be celebrated. i remember when it would be sunlit uplands and stuff
This should probably be moved to the Brexit thread (remember that?).

Anyway, it's probably more of a score draw to be fair (and as this is only temporary probably more like a half time score to wring the most out of the football analogy).

There were plenty on the remain side that were saying there was no way we could get any deal with anyone on the same terms as we already have through the EU so in that case it could be seen as a win. There were also plenty on the brexit side who were predicting better trade deals than we currently have.

If you move this away from a brexit vs remain view point and instead look at it as a UK vs EU I would say that the UK has more reason to be cheerful about this deal than the EU does.
Last edited by starbuck on Mon 23 Nov 2020, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Starbuck’s right (save for the last part - Brexit by its definition is “U.K. vs EU” - to my mind, you can’t move away from one without the other, but I agree it’s time to move on).

The deal with Canada can only be regarded as a good thing. And if it’s the same as we had before, that’s top news.

I appreciate that we shouldn’t have to be spending the time and government resources and money to get no further or better than to where we were before, given everything that Brexit promised us, but looking at the facts on the ground and the situation as it is today, it can only be regarded as positive. 👍🏻

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Tommy wrote:
Sat 17 Oct 2020, 10:35 am
Y’know, I still think Johnson will scrape some sort of 11th hour deal, where he will likely quietly capitulate everything to the EU, but the simple fact of a deal being had (regardless of what’s in it) will be spun as a win.

He’s addicted to theatre, and can’t resist a little 11th hour flourish. The papers will be “Bulldog Boris does the impossible and gives two fingers to the EU!” And it’ll be crap, the details will be scant, it’ll be an absolute win for the EU and awful for Britain, and anyone who dares examine the minutae of it will be branded unpatriotic or a traitor. Twitter will be full of “hahaha, take that REMOANERS!” from bots and the few Brexiteers still committed to the idea, the Tories will then smugly parade around the morning TV and radio, it’ll then go quiet for a couple of months...

...and then they will all spend the next 3 years moaning about it.
The climb down commences:

That’s quite a big political u-turn for Johnson. All that loss of goodwill on the world stage. Britain becoming a “law breaking” country, and all of those stupid Tory MPs who loudly cheered it on in blind faith...

I don’t think it does much to negotiations, but the embarrassing headline is there now.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

It’s quite exhausting watching the inevitable happen in real time. We all knew it would be this way in the end, including, of course, the War analogies. Because they always do with this bunch of tools.

vandal

Post by vandal »

Was good to see SFM Nicola Sturgeon appearing with Conservative Douglas Ross today, at a Centre that helps those with / or are recovering from Drug Addiction.

There seems to be an issue with Substance abuse & a high death toll here in Scotland, & although the SNP & the Conservative's may not always see eye to eye on Politics, joining forces to address the issue can only be a good thing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... 333520.amp

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Meanwhile, now that it's close to pantomime season, this;-
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ing-speech

It cannot be long now before it dawns on even his staunchest supporters that he totally unfit for the office he holds - or any office for that matter.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

The "office" which holds the cleaning materials for the local supermarket's loos might do - especially as it's lockable from the outside.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Our Boris Johnson is increasingly resembling that other erratic leader called Boris: Boris Yeltsin.
Flight Time - the time-travel Battle of Britain Commando Comic out now

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Even Peppa pig has distanced himself from Bozo the clown
Start every day with a smile!

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

AndyXH558 wrote:
Mon 22 Nov 2021, 7:00 pm
Even Peppa pig has distanced himself from Bozo the clown
Herself, please! :smile:

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Hey I don't watch kids TV.
Start every day with a smile!

vandal

Post by vandal »

DerekF wrote:
Mon 22 Nov 2021, 3:40 pm

It cannot be long now before it dawns on even his staunchest supporters that he totally unfit for the office he holds - or any office for that matter.
Seriously, why are there not Medical Professionals banging on the door of No10?

After today, there must be some Tories who think the PM is in line for a psychiatric evaluation.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

vandal wrote:
Mon 22 Nov 2021, 10:39 pm
DerekF wrote:
Mon 22 Nov 2021, 3:40 pm

Seriously, why are there not Medical Professionals banging on the door of No10?

After today, there must be some Tories who think the PM is in line for a psychiatric evaluation.
the cynic in me thinks it was all an act so people would talk about him, pepper pig, and not the NHS and social care bill that was voted through without any impact assessments being released

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

rockfordstone wrote:
Tue 23 Nov 2021, 8:57 am
the cynic in me thinks it was all an act so people would talk about him, pepper pig, and not the NHS and social care bill that was voted through without any impact assessments being released
[/quote]

I'm not sure he's that clever or good enough an actor.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

iainpeden wrote:
Tue 23 Nov 2021, 10:09 am
👆🏻

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

iainpeden wrote:
Tue 23 Nov 2021, 10:09 am
rockfordstone wrote:
Tue 23 Nov 2021, 8:57 am
[/quote]
i think the Peppa Pig thing was there as a distraction. the rest of it was just him being an incompetent baffoon

vandal

Post by vandal »

The incompetent buffoonery is now starting to bring unwanted attention to the PM's door. Just watching the lunchtime news, it seems questions are now being asked as to whether the PM is ok or not.

Avoiding scrutiny is one thing, but to stand up in front of a professional body - in this instance the CBI - & mimic a car, compare yourself to Moses, reference Peppa Pig - although that shouldn't come as that much of a surprise as he's previously spoke about Kermit the Frog - there won't be a single person in attendance that came away from that conference not questioning the man's mental state.

I won't be surprised if during PMQ's he's asked about the U-turn on HS2 in the North that he doesn't start banging on about Thomas the Tank Engine.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

vandal wrote:
Tue 23 Nov 2021, 1:57 pm
The incompetent buffoonery is now starting to bring unwanted attention to the PM's door. Just watching the lunchtime news, it seems questions are now being asked as to whether the PM is ok or not.

Avoiding scrutiny is one thing, but to stand up in front of a professional body - in this instance the CBI - & mimic a car, compare yourself to Moses, reference Peppa Pig - although that shouldn't come as that much of a surprise as he's previously spoke about Kermit the Frog - there won't be a single person in attendance that came away from that conference not questioning the man's mental state.

I won't be surprised if during PMQ's he's asked about the U-turn on HS2 in the North that he doesn't start banging on about Thomas the Tank Engine.
he'll do what he did at the last PMQ's and just disrupt every question with "but what would the right honorable gentleman do?" or by getting told off by the speaker so he doesn't have to answer the questions