The UKAR politics thread

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: The UKAR politics thread

Post by Tommy »

Summary point is correct in general, but I’m quite sure there’s a specific exclusion of the 6 month rule in COVID legislation.

I think the question was raised in the pre-Christmas uproar about parties.

Edited - ah, PB beat me to it.

roger

Post by roger »

Ok, thanks pb and Tommy - that makes it very clear.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Once the civil service have reported , surely there is huge potential for a private prosecution? BJ has gone on the record to say there was an "event" ad that he attended for 25 mins. Surely , the line ha been crossed (or will be) in establshing a "prima facie" basis to bring a case to court?

Paragraph 22 of the judgement in R (Kay and another) v Leeds Magistrates’ Court [2018] 2 Cr App R 27 details what the court has to consider when deciding whether to issue a summons. These considerations are:

* The magistrate must ascertain whether the allegation is an offence known to the law and, if so, whether the essential ingredients of the offence are prima facie present.

* That the offence alleged is not time-barred, that the court has jurisdiction and whether the informant has the necessary authority to prosecute.

Once proceedings have been issued, there are a number of methods for obtaining material for evidential purposes, these can include:

* A witness summons under Criminal Procedure (Attendance of Witnesses) Act 1965, s.97 Magistrates’ Courts Act 1980 or para 4, Schedule 3 to the Crime and Disorder Act 1998. In order to obtain information from a potential witness or for them to provide a witness statement and attend court to give live evidence.

Surely, the "man on the Clapham omnibus" would see there were parties? I'm strugglig to see what legal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_on_th ... am_omnibus

but!!!

https://reaction.life/boris-get-out-was ... ovid-laws/
Last edited by pbeardmore on Fri 14 Jan 2022, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

verreli

Post by verreli »

Tommy wrote:
Fri 14 Jan 2022, 2:17 pm
Well, an election could be called earlier. Indeed, anyone replacing Johnson probably ought to give the voters a say at the ballot box, just as May did, just as Johnson did (albeit through Corbyn’s hubris)
But that may lead to the wrong result. I'd have thought you'd realise by now that politicians only ask the public when the result is already known (May / Boris) or unavoidable (Brexit). Wishing for an election or because it's the right-thing-to-do just doesn't figure.

If it was Starmer vs Sunak for example, the result is far from certain.

mad_djg

Post by mad_djg »

pbeardmore wrote:
Fri 14 Jan 2022, 1:31 pm
IMHO, the failure of the Met to investigate is just a big a scandal than the parties themselves. I just hope someone can mount a judicial review or something similar
I'm not sure that this should be a surprise - remember the Daniel Morgan report which was finally released in June last year, essentially accused the met of being institutionally corrupt.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57484219

And one of the points within the report - "Dame Cressida is personally accused of obstructing the panel's work, and causing delays which added further and unnecessary distress to the family of a murder victim."

Makes you wonder why the PM, Home Secretary and Mayor of London were all so quick to state that she had their support.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Looks like Starmer enjoys a beer with staff in lockdown too. Party on dude. :beers:

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

verreli wrote:
Fri 14 Jan 2022, 7:25 pm
Looks like Starmer enjoys a beer with staff in lockdown too. Party on dude. :beers:
please elucidate

verreli

Post by verreli »

Zoom wrote:
Fri 14 Jan 2022, 7:29 pm
verreli wrote:
please elucidate
The MSM are reporting video of Starmer having a beer with staff. Looks like it's been taken from the outside looking through a window. They must have been holding onto it for just such a situation. Show what a hypocrite he is though. They're all as bad as each other.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Desperate times & all that jazz
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

verreli wrote:
Fri 14 Jan 2022, 7:41 pm
Zoom wrote:
Fri 14 Jan 2022, 7:29 pm
verreli wrote:
please elucidate
The MSM are reporting video of Starmer having a beer with staff. Looks like it's been taken from the outside looking through a window. They must have been holding onto it for just such a situation. Show what a hypocrite he is though. They're all as bad as each other.
The clip is not a smoking gun that a party was taking place. He is in an office drinking from a bottle with about 3 other people in the room.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Yeah, I don't think much of the video. He is in an office with about 3 or 4 other people during a time when 'Rule of 6' was in place apparently.

verreli

Post by verreli »

He's also inside and maskless, closer than 2m from the people he's talking to. In the background there's two people with food. Looks like a work party to me so in some ways worse than Boris's indiscretion.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

“Wine time Friday’s” incoming. More allegations apparently on tomorrow’s front pages.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

verreli wrote:
Fri 14 Jan 2022, 8:10 pm
Looks like a work party to me so in some ways worse than Boris's indiscretion.
Clearly you’re on a wind up mission
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Domvickery wrote:
Fri 14 Jan 2022, 8:16 pm
verreli wrote:
Indeed there is no context to the video. He was apparently on a constituency visit to Durham, so without any other evidence could well have been a meet up with the local party members for work purposes.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Domvickery wrote:
verreli wrote:
I've only seen evidence of Boris's outdoor parties where Covid is less transmittable. If you're going to judge people, it must be on the same terms.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

verreli wrote:
Fri 14 Jan 2022, 8:28 pm
Domvickery wrote:
verreli wrote:
I've only seen evidence of Boris's outdoor parties where Covid is less transmittable. If you're going to judge people, it must be on the same terms.
Whether it is less transmissible outside is not the issue. The fact is that Johnson had a party/parties at his house when no-one else was allowed but worse than that he has continually lied about to parliament and the British people.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

DerekF wrote:
Fri 14 Jan 2022, 8:35 pm
verreli wrote:
Fri 14 Jan 2022, 8:28 pm
Domvickery wrote:
verreli wrote:
Whether it is less transmissible outside is not the issue. The fact is that Johnson had a party/parties at his house when no-one else was allowed but worse than that he has continually lied about to parliament and the British people.
Exactly this. Doing the “crime” is one thing but continually lying and being evasive (especially when you set the rules) makes it even worse.

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

Love it when verreli shows up, when he's not spouting some "I don't support Trump but he's great" rubbish he's trying to compare a single time when a guy had a single beer with 3 people when there wasn't a lockdown, to a string of parties with scores of people when there was a full lockdown.

I think he might be JRM.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Bound to be peroni or Prosecco or some other left wing gnat water.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

vandal

Post by vandal »

verreli wrote:
He's also inside and maskless, closer than 2m from the people he's talking to. In the background there's two people with food. Looks like a work party to me so in some ways worse than Boris's indiscretion.
If he's eating or drinking, it'll be blatantly obvious why he's not wearing a mask.

Worse than Boris's indiscretion? Which one?

verreli

Post by verreli »

Now being reported is a drinks fridge being delivered to Downing street. I need to work where there's a fridge filled with booze. Oh that's right, I'm working from home and have one too. To be honest, with the formal hosting of dignitaries, I'm surprised they didn't have one already.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

If that "story" of Starmer drinking a beer is the Tories response then they're in deep, deep trouble.

Please let it be Liz Truss who takes over from BJ. We need a laugh at times like this.
Flight Time - the time-travel Battle of Britain Commando Comic out now

verreli

Post by verreli »

Teaboy wrote:
Fri 14 Jan 2022, 8:44 pm
I think he might be JRM.
More likely Grant Shapps who's a pilot but alas no. I am a pilot though - although I spend far more time as a passenger these days.

verreli

Post by verreli »

iainpeden wrote:
Fri 14 Jan 2022, 9:13 pm
Bound to be peroni or Prosecco or some other left wing gnat water.
I thought the likes of Starmer and Blair only drank Champagne?