COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by Tommy »

purple_95 wrote:
Sat 12 Jun 2021, 6:39 pm
You might be in favour of more restrictions but I can promise you the majority are not
Not trying to be facetious, but how do you know that? And how do you know it to such a strong extent that you are able to promise it to me?

Noone “favours” restrictions.

The delta variant has been let in. Rather than an idyllic view of where we wish we were (and were we would be had the Delta variant not been let in), I simply have a realistic view of where we are.

Cases are on the up. Hospitalisations (which people who pushed back two weeks ago) are now going up.

It’s clear to me that we need more restrictions whilst we get everyone fully vaccinated.

After that, I’m not sure what else can be done. And unless anyone can prove to me that a variant exists that double-dose vaccines are less than 90% effective for, I’m not sure what else needs to be done.

But until we vaccinate everyone (“everyone” meaning as many as we can discounting those who refuse, are unable etc) we can, it’s reckless and stupid to proceed when we know the Delta variant can affect the majority of those who have had their first dose.

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Tommy wrote:
Sat 12 Jun 2021, 5:38 pm
Reds Rolling wrote:
Sat 12 Jun 2021, 5:20 pm
We need to now realise that Covid isn't going away in the near future and start to get back to an as normal way of life as we can.
Not one single person has argued against this...
Did I say they had?
Tommy wrote:
Sat 12 Jun 2021, 5:38 pm
It also doesn’t really tackle what’s being discussed.
I wasn't trying to tackle what is being discussed as I haven't been following.

The thread is titled Covid: Your thoughts.... and I just gave my thoughts as they currently stand. I didn't really expect anyone to jump on it with a lengthy response tbh. :grin:

purple_95

Post by purple_95 »

Tommy, How do I know it, because you only need to talk to people, read social media, websites like this one to know people do not want further restrictions on day today life, just look at the comments coming out of Bolton about three weeks back when talk of a local lockdown did the rounds.

I totally accept it would be insane to ease restrictions any further right now, but equally we cannot just focus on covid-19 via lockdown without looking at the damage such measures do. Mental health in this country is a ticking time bomb, every single hospital in this country is reporting an increase in people presenting with mental health problems, usually self harm and saying the lockdown is the cause, either the isolation or the knock on effect, loss of job, home at risk etc etc.

It is also worth keeping in mind nobody is forced to go to the pub, for a meal, out to watch the football or an airshow, nobody is forced to visit the family or go round a mates house on a Friday night for a beer or two. We have rules in place that allow those of us who want to try and stick to a level of normality to do so in as safe as possible way given the pandemic, those who wish to stay at home and limit non essential trips are still able to do so. That to me seems the only fair and sensible option right now.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

I very much agree with purple 95 the eis zero apertite for anything less than ending this, no going backwards. I find those who have less of an issue are the retired and grumpy, its normal life for them. I lost my dad in wave 1 but have become very anti lockdown. I have also found out my long standing mental health problems, driven to crisis point by loosing my dad and putting my mum into care, are due to me being autistic. personally I am 99% back to normal, just paying lip service on masks.
I will not be participating in any further restrictions for my mental health. That won't involve much risk as it will mostly involve me going spotting discretely at LHR and anywhere else thats busy. The chance of getting caught is zero. It is time for the country to put on its big boy pants, accept that covid, like flu and cancer, will keep killing people and get on with living. If people want to hide thats fine, but that is not for me.
The media has become obsessed by covid and seems to love this story of the century. Vaccines are largely working, we have not had a death in Farnborough since March, lets get on with it. Its about living while you are alive.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

On the mental health issue. I live next to a motorway bridge. Usually, around one or twice a year, someone feels like there's nothing else they can do but to step over the edge. In all but one case in the five years I've lived here, they've been talked down and (hopefully) got the help they needed.

There has been four attempts in the last week. Two did not survive.

How anyone can say that mental health isn't suffering, and it's ok to continue on the path we're currently on, needs to reconsider.

There will be no difference to removing the final restrictions now as to in four weeks, other than perhaps saving the lives of those who are on the brink of suicide.

Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

farnboroughrob wrote:
Sun 13 Jun 2021, 9:51 am
I very much agree with purple 95 the eis zero apertite for anything less than ending this, no going backwards. I find those who have less of an issue are the retired and grumpy, its normal life for them. I lost my dad in wave 1 but have become very anti lockdown. I have also found out my long standing mental health problems, driven to crisis point by loosing my dad and putting my mum into care, are due to me being autistic. personally I am 99% back to normal, just paying lip service on masks.
I will not be participating in any further restrictions for my mental health. That won't involve much risk as it will mostly involve me going spotting discretely at LHR and anywhere else thats busy. The chance of getting caught is zero. It is time for the country to put on its big boy pants, accept that covid, like flu and cancer, will keep killing people and get on with living. If people want to hide thats fine, but that is not for me.
The media has become obsessed by covid and seems to love this story of the century. Vaccines are largely working, we have not had a death in Farnborough since March, lets get on with it. Its about living while you are alive.
Providing you’re not in a group larger than six and you maintain social distance from others, there’s nothing stopping you going spotting at LHR or anywhere else now.
Ken

Afghanistan - so what was the point of all that then?

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

cg_341 wrote:
Sun 13 Jun 2021, 10:06 am
On the mental health issue. I live next to a motorway bridge. Usually, around one or twice a year, someone feels like there's nothing else they can do but to step over the edge. In all but one case in the five years I've lived here, they've been talked down and (hopefully) got the help they needed.

There has been four attempts in the last week. Two did not survive.

How anyone can say that mental health isn't suffering, and it's ok to continue on the path we're currently on, needs to reconsider.

There will be no difference to removing the final restrictions now as to in four weeks, other than perhaps saving the lives of those who are on the brink of suicide.
You sure this lockdown related and not the growing sense of futility at having a useless Tory government determined to destroy the country? A government whose own incompetence has seen lockdowns extended and worsened, with a great death toll, while hanging certain sectors out to dry.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Funny peculiar rather than funny haha.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-57459055
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

We had a discussion about the advice for Manchester and try to restrict travel especially in and out of the area, but we wondered how many people from outside the area are not listening to that same advice and coming into the Manchester area to do shopping etc.
As a Manc I get slated if I go out on a jolly but it seems no one cares about people coming here to visit, talk about double standards and why from all accounts not that many Mancs are listening.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Ken Shabby wrote:
Sun 13 Jun 2021, 10:09 am
Providing you’re not in a group larger than six and you maintain social distance from others, there’s nothing stopping you going spotting at LHR or anywhere else now.
[/quote]

I realise that have been there any times, and Lakenheath, Yeovilton etc. I mean should we go back into the sort of restrictions we had over the winter. I visited LHR several times breifly over this last winter but could get away with it due to working in the area.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I must confess, I hate the way the Government continue to leak out hugely important news like this to people to client journalists that simply parrot the line and attribute with to a “source”.

But that’s by the by, the information is there.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Ah yes four weeks... this reminds me of the first "three week" Lockdown.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Teaboy wrote:
Sun 13 Jun 2021, 10:44 am
You sure this lockdown related and not the growing sense of futility at having a useless Tory government determined to destroy the country? A government whose own incompetence has seen lockdowns extended and worsened, with a great death toll, while hanging certain sectors out to dry.
Are they not one and the same thing now..?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Even with remaining restrictions now - cases are rising exponentially. The current restrictions clearly aren’t enough.

(And they clearly aren’t within tolerable limits of anticipated increases following the incremental unlocking, or they wouldn’t be on about pausing the rollout).

It simply won’t be enough to extend the current restrictions, because cases are rising exponentially. So there needs to be more.

I know that there are plenty of arguments against lockdown. There were in January. There were in October. There were in March 2020.

The main argument against lockdown, or further restrictions, is that Johnson should never have let it get to this point. This is on him.

But we are also where we are. It is senseless denying reality. All that ever does (because that’s all Johnson does until it’s too late) is delay the inevitable.

What was it, three weeks ago(?) I mooted the idea of a short sharp two week firebreak lockdown when cases were small to curb the Delta variant to levels manageable by our still-crap (but not completely useless) test and trace system.

How many of you would prefer to be sitting here right now with a two week firebreak behind us, and 21st June kept in play. Rather than facing a month-long suspension of 21 June, as we are facing now.

Rather than argue against lockdowns, restrictions, and things that obviously now need to happen - argue against our incompetent charlatans in government. If they’ve made you suffer as much as I have (or worse) during lockdown, vow to never vote for that bunch of clowns again. Tell everyone who’s fault it really is.

Lockdowns are a symptom of Government incompetence.

And, as always, the longer they leave it, as they have done, the longer restrictions have to be before they get under control again. This is beyond argument, now.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

To be honest, I just want to know what's happening now. If there's a delay, I am resigned to that.

Selfish as this sounds, I'm wondering if Airshows will be allowed to continue as long as they require a negative test before hand like before, or if it will stop Duxford happening in July altogether. Truthfully, I need it mentally. I need something to aim for knowing I can have a bit of enjoyment.

Biggest worry is mental health. Some people can't take much more and need some good news. It always seems as we get close something happens that sets us back.

3 weeks to flatten the curve
Back to normal by Christmas
lockdown to save Christmas that 6 months later still has restrictions.
Only until we have a vaccine
Back to Normal by Easter
Only until vunerable vaccinated.
Only until over 50s vaccinated
Only a 2 week delay
Only a 4 week delay

And so forth, there always seems to be some new hurdle to jump when we hit the milestone.

Yeah, that's selfish, but a lot are fed up. I know its probably for the best and vaccines are working, and its mostly unvaccinated under 30s getting it now. It's just hard to hear yet again that there's a bump in the road. And that lies squarely at the feet of Johnson and his cronies because of constant inaction and false promises. I've heard so many false starts its hard to believe anything anymore that is said.

I do worry the 4 week delay into July will be we can't open up just yet, then we are into Autumn and Winter and already been told there might be need for a lockdown then, rinse and repeat

You can roast me if you want for it.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I think that we need to retain a little perspective

There isn’t a variant (AFAIK) in the entire world, let alone the U.K., that the vaccines are not effective against. Is there any evidence that the Delta variant is infecting large numbers of people who have had both jabs? It’s just that we all need our double-dose. That’s due to happen by some time in September at the latest.

The government needs to answer questions about why they haven’t accelerated it even more - I thought that they promised to cut the waiting period from 12 to eight weeks for second doses.

I also suspect that the mental health blow comes from June 21st being stuck in our minds as some sort of freedom day, rather than anything material. Under current restrictions I can still do quite a lot of what I used to do, so it’s hardly anything like full lockdown.

Keep perspective, lads. And never vote for these incompetent clowns again. And do what you can to keep spirits up - including talking to people if you’re feeling down.

If anyone is feeling awful and just wants to talk stuff through, or even chat about anything other than Covid just to be able to speak to someone privately, my PMs are always open & I’m happy to chat to anyone who needs it. 👍🏻

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Tommy wrote:
Sun 13 Jun 2021, 11:40 pm
How many of you would prefer to be sitting here right now with a two week firebreak behind us, and 21st June kept in play. Rather than facing a month-long suspension of 21 June, as we are facing now.
personally id rather have a month delay at current restriction levels, rather than a 2 week firebreak lockdown that will inevitably last more than month based on previous experience.
the last one crushed my mental health and i don't think i'd do very well in another lockdown

Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

rockfordstone wrote:
Mon 14 Jun 2021, 8:54 am
Tommy wrote:
personally id rather have a month delay at current restriction levels, rather than a 2 week firebreak lockdown that will inevitably last more than month based on previous experience.
the last one crushed my mental health and i don't think i'd do very well in another lockdown
Not sure a ‘firebreak’ lockdown would have done much good. All they do is delay the inevitable.
Ken

Afghanistan - so what was the point of all that then?

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Tommy you are spot on re Boris J and his incompetent government. He has made one poor judgement after the other and has cost many thousands of lives with his dithering and lies.

I find it amusing when people say they are just 'fed up with it all now'. I'm sure those being bombed in WW2 by the Luftwaffe may well have said the same. This virus does not care if you can't go to your local or whatever the restriction is. This is a crisis. Most people in this country never had to face one before, or any hardships similar, and they moan and groan about civil liberties etc. Bad things happen, and we all have to deal with such things. It's part of life. I also hate the fact that I did not see an airshow for over a year but it is what it is. We have to deal with the situation we have. Simple as that. Just have to get on with it.
Last edited by UKTopgun on Mon 14 Jun 2021, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Personally a delay will have zero effect on me, I am almost back to normal anyway. Further restrictions will result in a public backlash from younger people in particular, there is just no apertite for it. Just look at how many flights are running to amber countries still, people want to travel again.We need a diffrent approach as millions have just given up, including me.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

rockfordstone wrote:
Mon 14 Jun 2021, 8:54 am
Tommy wrote:
I meant like.. having gone through it. As in, the lockdown was behind us. I don’t speak for anyone else, but my mental health would be immeasurably better if June 21st was still on, and a firebreak lockdown is behind us, rather than now, where we face a month’s suspension/further restrictions.

We’re well beyond the territory of a firebreak now. They need to be done quickly. By the time Hancock was “advising” not to travel into and out of Manchester/Bolton, that was probably the last chance the country had to do it.

A firebreak now will work tbf, but it’s use gets less and less effective the longer it is left (which means any lockdown has to be longer and longer the later it’s left).

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

farnboroughrob wrote:
Mon 14 Jun 2021, 9:17 am
Personally a delay will have zero effect on me, I am almost back to normal anyway. Further restrictions will result in a public backlash from younger people in particular, there is just no apertite for it. Just look at how many flights are running to amber countries still, people want to travel again.We need a diffrent approach as millions have just given up, including me.
There’s no “appetite” for anything. But the issue is whether it’s a necessary or not.

Yes, there will and should be a backlash. We are suffering from a massive failure of government policy. Simple as that. We should all be angry.

But we need to be angry at the people who have let us down, rather than be angry at the necessary controls we now need to implement to cover their failure.

No one wants lockdown, or any restrictions. But the government have made them necessary. That’s the nub of it. Don’t argue against restrictions, argue against the policy and crappy decisions (or no decisions at all) that led us to this place.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

I am certianlly not defending this shambles of a govenment. They urgently need some sort of long term plan. Lurching from lockdown to lockdown can not be sustained any more. What happens in October/November when cases rise again? I believe we need a national debate. Do we put our trust in vaccines and open up, including limted international travel, and accept some will die but the vast majourity will be fine? Or do we lurch from lockdown to lockdown to save the few while the majourity suffer increased mental health, job loss, relationship breakdown, longer waiting lists and possibly an increase in people dying of other things? We seem obsessed with Covid, and Covid only. We all die in the end.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Not sure if its common knowledge but the 2nd jab can be done at 8 weeks instead of 12, I had mine after 8 at a walk in centre, so if anyone out there has had one and is 8 weeks after it, you can go to a drop in centre and have the 2nd.
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

I suppose the question is, what is an acceptable level of death? 10 per day? 20? 100?
What if that number were to include a close relative?