Duxford Summer Air Show - 18th & 19th June

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
bedfordshirevulcan

Re: Duxford Summer Air Show - 18th & 19th June

Post by bedfordshirevulcan »

Seems like from comemts on fb sat attendance was around 11 k and today only 7k although may never got the very big numbers i doubt it was this low. wasn't this show one of the reasons they got rid of legends who got a much larger gate to have a high attendance family show of their own

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

bedfordshirevulcan wrote:
Sun 19 Jun 2022, 9:34 pm
Seems like from comemts on fb sat attendance was around 11 k and today only 7k although may never got the very big numbers i doubt it was this low. wasn't this show one of the reasons they got rid of legends who got a much larger gate to have a high attendance family show of their own
Well! That would seem to be an almighty mis-judgement by the faceless dorks that are running Duxford-----Into the ground! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Stagger2 wrote:
Mon 20 Jun 2022, 3:21 am
Well! That would seem to be an almighty mis-judgement by the faceless dorks that are running Duxford-----Into the ground! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
One can only hope that when (if?) they do a show review they realise how they got it so wrong?
...Rad shutters auto.

catwomanofkent

Post by catwomanofkent »

Even at the traditional May show (don't forget once it was a one day show only) as traders we knew the crowd, we had the right stuff for them to buy and they were all excited and raring to go and loved the first airshow of the year there. If was worth our while devoting 4 days to travelling and setting up there, we loved it!
Last years show was full of yummy mummies and empty of public, both days, few traders. A waste of time. We are saddened that it's come to this and will never attend another Duxford show.
We used to give the organizer feedback from the public we spoke to but it fell on deaf ears.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

keithjs wrote:
Mon 20 Jun 2022, 7:33 am
Stagger2 wrote:
One can only hope that when (if?) they do a show review they realise how they got it so wrong?
Or use this weekend as some sort of proof that it's not worth having an airshow anymore and move to just the few flying days, using based aircraft and try to get more money throughout the year and not have so much in costs.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

i didn't got to the summer show this year as i decided to go to shuttleworth instead, but lineup wise it felt more like the recent may shows, albeit short of a visiting jet display.

i don't know anyone who went which is unusual, but it seems like a lot of people who did go didn't enjoy it.

i think there is a mixture of issues at play, one being IWM seemingly not having the people in place to really make the most of air shows, and equally they paying public having big expectations.

as i've said about RIAT, i think a lot of people were just expecting there to be a flood of planes ready to go for this season because it was the first one since covid, and are blaming show organizers if operators decide to not bring them to shows. some also seem to think that IWM control all flying aircraft so are shocked when TFC/ARCo don't fly at the shows.

equally, i think IWM are trying to run duxford in the context of their wider museum masterplan and are being run by business types, rather than people who value airshows as a way of promoting the museum. they think if they build it people will come regardless of cost and they have become disconnected from the airshow fan. if they haven't already, they are fast becoming a faceless corporate entity.

as for the pricing, I'm not surprised pricing has gone up. we are recovering from effectively 2 years of limited visitors and the fact is, the cost of fuel, and services to run the airshow have gone up.

either way, there seems to be a big split between the paying public and IWM at the moment, if some of the attendance figures are true, then they need to up their game

Smog Monster

Post by Smog Monster »

I have some sympathy with the idea of running the museum as a business that can sustain its self... if successful it ought to secure the future of the collection and the site.

BUT it only works if they get their business model right.

It seems to me they're alienating an existing customer base, and failing to attract an alternative.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

The thing is, I enjoyed the weekend - but it really wasn't worth the money.

I would gladly have paid more for the Cosford line up, and would have relished a two day show there - so its not as simple as saying the participants aren't available due to the current world situation.

Duxford has secured fantastic fast jet participation in the past, and this airshow was, as many have said, a sea side line up with a huge price tag attached.

I am very comfortable paying a premium for good events and feel that RIAT and Cosford are extremely good value for money. This weekend was, frankly, a rip off.

One thing that really irked me about Duxford was all the unnecessary rubbish that the organisers had paid for. An animal exhibit, a circus skills workshop, some sort of skiffle band wandering around. All totally unnecessary expense that only distracted from what the event was. If Duxford is to succeed they need to play to their strengths and stop patronising their clientele.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

MiG_Eater wrote:
Mon 20 Jun 2022, 10:34 am
The thing is, I enjoyed the weekend - but it really wasn't worth the money.

I would gladly have paid more for the Cosford line up, and would have relished a two day show there - so its not as simple as saying the participants aren't available due to the current world situation.

Duxford has secured fantastic fast jet participation in the past, and this airshow was, as many have said, a sea side line up with a huge price tag attached.

I am very comfortable paying a premium for good events and feel that RIAT and Cosford are extremely good value for money. This weekend was, frankly, a rip off.

One thing that really irked me about Duxford was all the unnecessary rubbish that the organisers had paid for. An animal exhibit, a circus skills workshop, some sort of skiffle band wandering around. All totally unnecessary expense that only distracted from what the event was. If Duxford is to succeed they need to play to their strengths and stop patronising their clientele.
i think you can pin some of it on current global circumstances. as we have seen with RIAT, some air arms are not providing jets to the show for various reasons. if RIAT can't get them, then its no surprise that duxford can't either. that said, i'm surprised that neither the reds or typhoon are doing a duxford show proper this year

but i also agree with your point. i am happy to pay money for air shows, but this one didn't inspire me this time round, and shuttleworth was much better value for money

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

While I recognise that ultimately this is a question of value for money and whether IWM are providing that for paying customers, for me personally it is not about ticket prices at all.

My concern, and what I would hope for and want as a Duxford supporter over the last 20 years, is that IWM seek to stage airshows which:

- Acknowlege and celebrate their unique situation, as both a historic former RAF/USAAF fighter station and the unparalleled on-site assets Duxford has attracted as a world centre for historic aircraft restoration & operation.
- Recognise and seek to build upon the reputation that IWM and it's on-site partners have created over the last 40+ years for staging world class airshows, featuring line-ups and combinations which cannot be seen elsewhere and once attracted enthusiasts from all over the world.

This last weekend, by staging a lightweight airshow which could have been staged at any generic airshow venue, featuring few of their on-site partner aircraft, IWM have chosen to disregard everything that sets Duxford apart from any other venue. This can't be merely down to budget - they have everything at their disposal to produce unique airshows which could not be staged at other venues, and yet they choose not to.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Dave - very well expressed - thank you.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

This is what gets me. We laugh about the Fairford eye or whatever it’s called at riat but it’s one thing and fair enough I’m sure some people love it but they still focus on aircraft and the military and do what they can for the enthusiast. Duxford continually promote stuff we don’t want like telling me buy a ticket and you can do this this and this and me as a single 27 year old bloke I’m just thinking none of this is relevant to me tell me what aeroplanes are coming and I’ll ignore the other stuff but it just never seems to be the focus anymore

catwomanofkent

Post by catwomanofkent »

Interesting to hear about the circus/animal experience/skiffle band etc. at Duxford. We saw exactly the same thing at The South of England Show last week it was the right place for it though, a large agricultural/animal/horse show we traded at.
Duxford's trying to appeal to families instead of enthusiasts that have kept them going for years and have to introduce this sort of stuff for the kids. I know they always had a fun fair ride there but otherwise the public came to see the flying, look at and buy at the vast array of trade stalls, buy lunch and sit and watch the show. And if they had never been there before they could spend the morning in the museum.
I'd be interested to know what traders were there and how they did sales wise?

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Aces High art prints used to be a staple of DX airshows, where you could meet veterans.
Alas, they don't attend shows now for reasons I don't know. But traders like this, playing period music etc, added a lot to the shows and are much missed in my view.

Meteorops

Post by Meteorops »

We must recognise that the IWM 's published analysis show that under 10% of their visitors are enthusiasts. Obviously this figure might be higher for shows.

Too many Duxford threads end up knocking the management but the current state at IWM should be seen in to context of their current corporate plan

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://ww ... 61uqJjBvnU

The big unknown is the 20 year Master Plan for the site which as far as I know has never been made public. The most I could find out about it was this Job Description.

https://iwm.tal.net/vx/mobile-0/brand-2 ... ford/en-GB

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

MiG_Eater wrote:
Sat 18 Jun 2022, 9:37 pm
I enjoyed today more than I thought I would have. The MiG and Vampire are a very interesting pair, and the Strikemasters flew a really nice polished display.

I paid for earlybird tickets months ago, partly to support the organisation - and partly because i'm so starved of airshows i'll take what I can get: but today was not really value for money and absolutely needed some heavy metal, or a big contingent of warbirds to fix it.

I didn't complain about Cosford at all - in fact I praised it before, during and after the show. Unfortunately i'm not sure I can do that about this show.

Like others this will be my last time buying advanced tickets for Duxford without seeing the participation list, and unfortunately I don't think i'll attend again unless they get something really special lined up... (yes the Patruille Suisse fit that description!)

p.s. One disappointment was the great war display team who were lacking their usual pyros. Personally I think these really add to the display. Word from an IWM volunteer is that "the powers that be" insisted on no pyros as it would potentially upset some attendees given the situation in Ukraine... absolute lunacy.
I'd be more in shock about the Cost of getting there then a few Flash bang Wallops. Sad to read this.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Meteorops wrote:
Mon 20 Jun 2022, 4:19 pm
We must recognise that the IWM 's published analysis show that under 10% of their visitors are enthusiasts. Obviously this figure might be higher for shows.
Duxford are not going to attract the other 90% with the line-up they had at the weekend though, especially for what it cost. There's a selection of free seaside shows around the country with similar lineups to what Duxford produced. Arguably even more appealing for families when thinking about the cost and what you'll see i.e. a full display from the Red Arrows rather than just a flypast.

Like Dave said, what makes Duxford special is the history and hangars full of historic aircraft which are an additional, unique attraction.
DaveBr wrote:
Mon 20 Jun 2022, 11:05 am
- Acknowlege and celebrate their unique situation, as both a historic former RAF/USAAF fighter station and the unparalleled on-site assets Duxford has attracted as a world centre for historic aircraft restoration & operation.
- Recognise and seek to build upon the reputation that IWM and it's on-site partners have created over the last 40+ years for staging world class airshows, featuring line-ups and combinations which cannot be seen elsewhere and once attracted enthusiasts from all over the world.
Duxford either play to their strengths (see: Battle of Britain airshow in September) or they don't. And if they don't, we end up here on page 6 of this thread. IWM/Duxford only have themselves to blame.

DirtyFokker

Post by DirtyFokker »

MiG_Eater wrote:
Word from an IWM volunteer is that "the powers that be" insisted on no pyros as it would potentially upset some attendees given the situation in Ukraine... absolute lunacy.
People are too soft and easily offended these days. Much of the outrage and upset is orchestrated by the media. Divide and conquer .... :confused:
Last edited by DirtyFokker on Mon 20 Jun 2022, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timuss

Post by timuss »

Well i bought tickets way in advance before the lineup was announced, and have to say i enjoyed what i saw to a point but the endless, display teams do start to get rather tiresome. Although i thought the Fokker four were excellent something new and different.

Definatley missed soe heavy metal thats for sure. When you think that years gone by we had some brilliant May shows and now we have this.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

catwomanofkent

Post by catwomanofkent »

Duxford's attempt at a 'family Show' seems to have fallen flat. So how did Biggin Hill air shows that were also aimed at families always managed to be sell out shows and had to turn public away from the gate at some shows. It still had a good mix of families and enthusiasts and never failed to hit the right spot for everyone attending. Had a good mix of trade stands, aircraft, funfair etc. Why was Duxford's Summer Show such a let down?

Smog Monster

Post by Smog Monster »

Feels like complacency.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

DirtyFokker wrote:
Mon 20 Jun 2022, 6:23 pm
MiG_Eater wrote:
Word from an IWM volunteer is that "the powers that be" insisted on no pyros as it would potentially upset some attendees given the situation in Ukraine... absolute lunacy.
People are too soft and easily offended these days. Much of the outrage and upset is orchestrated by the media. Divide and conquer .... :confused:
I agree on soft and easily offended but I'm not sure its actually the public, which still turns out for e.g. Top Gun Maverick: have any cinemas stopped showing that because of the potential for offence during the Ukraine conflict? How did we get from WWII's Blitz spirit fired up by Target for Tonight, The Way Ahead etc to the situation where the public mustn't be upset so "Don't mention the war"?

An entry in one of the late great Alan Coren's collections of columns is built around the disappointment his dinner jacket feels when a media party he was going to attend is cancelled due to "these difficult times" (Gulf War One) after it has spent years hung in a cupboard next to his late ex-RAF dad's DJ that has told it tales of the high life at the Trocadero etc during the Blitz. So the rot had set in even in 1991.

Stiffen those upper lips, true Brits, and start fighting back!

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

rdchawk wrote:
Mon 20 Jun 2022, 8:38 am
keithjs wrote:
Mon 20 Jun 2022, 7:33 am
Stagger2 wrote:
Or use this weekend as some sort of proof that it's not worth having an airshow anymore and move to just the few flying days, using based aircraft and try to get more money throughout the year and not have so much in costs.
This is exactly what I fear.

I was never going to attend this one as I had already chosen to do Cosford the week before, however I am planning on attending the BoB show in September. I really hope that we see a major improvement. The pictures in this thread are heartbreaking!

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Wed 22 Jun 2022, 6:57 am
DirtyFokker wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:
I agree on soft and easily offended but I'm not sure its actually the public, which still turns out for e.g. Top Gun Maverick: have any cinemas stopped showing that because of the potential for offence during the Ukraine conflict? How did we get from WWII's Blitz spirit fired up by Target for Tonight, The Way Ahead etc to the situation where the public mustn't be upset so "Don't mention the war"?

An entry in one of the late great Alan Coren's collections of columns is built around the disappointment his dinner jacket feels when a media party he was going to attend is cancelled due to "these difficult times" (Gulf War One) after it has spent years hung in a cupboard next to his late ex-RAF dad's DJ that has told it tales of the high life at the Trocadero etc during the Blitz. So the rot had set in even in 1991.

I know a vintage singer, and she has had quite a few events cancelled this year because of the war in Ukraine. She's having to adapt her act

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

grant_w wrote:
Wed 22 Jun 2022, 8:45 am
FarnboroJohn wrote:
Wed 22 Jun 2022, 6:57 am
DirtyFokker wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:

I know a vintage singer, and she has had quite a few events cancelled this year because of the war in Ukraine. She's having to adapt her act
That is a great shame and, I believe, quite unnecessary from an audience point of view. People that wet wouldn't go to such a concert in the first place.