Duxford Summer Air Show - 18th & 19th June

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Post Reply
Mike
Posts: 2083
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 5:08 pm

Re: Duxford Summer Air Show - 18th & 19th June

Post by Mike »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Wed 22 Jun 2022, 10:20 am
That is a great shame and, I believe, quite unnecessary from an audience point of view. People that wet wouldn't go to such a concert in the first place.
It's not necessarily concerts themselves, but the military vehicle shows, (such as War & Peace), re-enactments and preserved railway '40s weekends' where such acts tend to get booked to appear that are getting cancelled.

Stagger2
Posts: 1584
Joined: Thu 16 Jun 2011, 8:46 am

Re: Duxford Summer Air Show - 18th & 19th June

Post by Stagger2 »

Probably Radical, definitely off-topic, but the whole of the UK. seems to be leading the World in over-sensitivity! These seemingly exaggerated provisions for others persons 'potential' perceptions is ridiculous in the extreme! Especially historic issues! Things happened! One can tear down statues, delete previously bestowed Honours, change dogs' names, cancel Christmas decorations, change street names & a plethora of other provisions that even the affected persons need a explanation for why it needed to be done! You can't undo & reset history & in it's place choose NOT to remember or educate younger persons in an attempt to disguise possible errors. Nobody learns from that.
Back on the subject, many people that attend these events actually served in older or recent conflicts & they clearly don't suffer offence or flashbacks as they would otherwise choose NOT to be there? If a recent refugee from Mariupol goes to Duxford that's their choice, just as it is to leave! I don't want somebody assuming the moral requirement to diminish my enjoyment of a display because somebody might be cringing each time a jet passes but doesn't drop ordnance?
Gods'Teeth, what a bunch of spoiling award-winning do-gooders? :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :rage: :triumph:
(as he awaits lecture from St Ethical about selfish entitlement. :rolling_eyes: :sleeping: :sleeping: )

User avatar
Blackbird
UKAR Supporter
Posts: 3250
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 3:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Duxford Summer Air Show - 18th & 19th June

Post by Blackbird »

Stagger - spot on.

Andy

User avatar
G-CVIX
Posts: 2089
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 7:39 pm
Location: Falmouth
Contact:

Re: Duxford Summer Air Show - 18th & 19th June

Post by G-CVIX »

Mike wrote:
Wed 22 Jun 2022, 10:30 am
FarnboroJohn wrote:
Wed 22 Jun 2022, 10:20 am
That is a great shame and, I believe, quite unnecessary from an audience point of view. People that wet wouldn't go to such a concert in the first place.
It's not necessarily concerts themselves, but the military vehicle shows, (such as War & Peace), re-enactments and preserved railway '40s weekends' where such acts tend to get booked to appear that are getting cancelled.
Sorry to go off topic and respond but the reasons for War and Peace being cancelled are below, as per their official site:
It's with regret we have to advise that third party logistical issues and infrastructure supplies which are currently unavailable have resulted in the War and Peace Show not being able to meet the insurance and Health and Safety requirements for an open public event.
The only event I have seen that has cancelled that has directly referenced the Ukraine conflict is GWSR Wartime in the Cotswolds, and I have attached the statement below.
Wartime in the Cotswolds is cancelled
We are all aware of the terrible events unfolding in Ukraine. There appears to be no immediate indication that the conflict will end soon.
Daily news of death and destruction on a wide scale have led us to consider whether it is appropriate to continue to promote and hold our Wartime in the Cotswolds Weekend this year.
After giving the matter considerable thought the Board are unanimously of the view that we should cancel the event this year. The event was intended to be a joyful weekend and that conflicts deeply with what we now see happening. We believe that to continue would send completely the wrong message to our potential visitors and the wider public.
For the same reason, we have decided that the Schools Evacuation days should be suspended until the middle of the year, or until the situation in Ukraine settles down.
We realise that a considerable amount of work has gone into planning and organising these events this year, and that many of you will be disappointed by our decision. However, we have an obligation to make what we believe to be the right decision for our railway, and we are satisfied that in this case we have done so.
The weekend of 23rd / 24th April will revert to a standard purple timetable.
The Board, GWSR Plc.
The wartime team would like to thank everyone who had committed to joining us.
Nothing "wet" about that, IMO. The organisers have come together and made a decision that they feel is respectable.

The information about the pyros at Duxford has come from an unnamed volunteer - hardly reliable information. With all due respect, we're yelling "PC gone mad" when there's little evidence of that other than pure conjecture.

If it's true, it does seem a bit over the top. I think that the GWDT is pretty lost without pyros in all honesty.

FarnboroJohn
Posts: 2673
Joined: Tue 28 Aug 2012, 6:57 pm

Re: Duxford Summer Air Show - 18th & 19th June

Post by FarnboroJohn »

G-CVIX wrote:
Wed 22 Jun 2022, 11:16 am
Mike wrote:
Wed 22 Jun 2022, 10:30 am
FarnboroJohn wrote:
Wed 22 Jun 2022, 10:20 am
That is a great shame and, I believe, quite unnecessary from an audience point of view. People that wet wouldn't go to such a concert in the first place.
It's not necessarily concerts themselves, but the military vehicle shows, (such as War & Peace), re-enactments and preserved railway '40s weekends' where such acts tend to get booked to appear that are getting cancelled.
Sorry to go off topic and respond but the reasons for War and Peace being cancelled are below, as per their official site:
It's with regret we have to advise that third party logistical issues and infrastructure supplies which are currently unavailable have resulted in the War and Peace Show not being able to meet the insurance and Health and Safety requirements for an open public event.
The only event I have seen that has cancelled that has directly referenced the Ukraine conflict is GWSR Wartime in the Cotswolds, and I have attached the statement below.
Wartime in the Cotswolds is cancelled
We are all aware of the terrible events unfolding in Ukraine. There appears to be no immediate indication that the conflict will end soon.
Daily news of death and destruction on a wide scale have led us to consider whether it is appropriate to continue to promote and hold our Wartime in the Cotswolds Weekend this year.
After giving the matter considerable thought the Board are unanimously of the view that we should cancel the event this year. The event was intended to be a joyful weekend and that conflicts deeply with what we now see happening. We believe that to continue would send completely the wrong message to our potential visitors and the wider public.
For the same reason, we have decided that the Schools Evacuation days should be suspended until the middle of the year, or until the situation in Ukraine settles down.
We realise that a considerable amount of work has gone into planning and organising these events this year, and that many of you will be disappointed by our decision. However, we have an obligation to make what we believe to be the right decision for our railway, and we are satisfied that in this case we have done so.
The weekend of 23rd / 24th April will revert to a standard purple timetable.
The Board, GWSR Plc.
The wartime team would like to thank everyone who had committed to joining us.
Nothing "wet" about that, IMO. The organisers have come together and made a decision that they feel is respectable.

The information about the pyros at Duxford has come from an unnamed volunteer - hardly reliable information. With all due respect, we're yelling "PC gone mad" when there's little evidence of that other than pure conjecture.

If it's true, it does seem a bit over the top. I think that the GWDT is pretty lost without pyros in all honesty.
I certainly take your point about "War and Peace", but the Cotswold railways thing is bang in the target area of what we are talking about and the organisers need a slap round the face with a wet fish and to be told to man up. Educating British people about the horrors of evacuation let alone refugeeship is exactly what should be to the fore at the moment and to cancel such events through second-guessing the British people's wimpishness level (and IMHO being wrong about it, I hope so anyway) is pathetic and entirely wrong. The board should resign and enter a monastery en masse.

Anyway, I'm off to Tankfest this weekend, unless the organisers decide a focus on armour is wrong in these troubled times. :rofl:

User avatar
keithjs
Posts: 1098
Joined: Thu 04 Sep 2008, 8:28 pm
Location: High Wycombe

Re: Duxford Summer Air Show - 18th & 19th June

Post by keithjs »

So I assume they'll be cancelling all the Armed Forces Day events soon then? :rolling_eyes: I mean, just the word's 'Armed Forces' could be highly offensive to some people surely.... :thinking:
...Rad shutters auto.

User avatar
rdchawk
Posts: 3686
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 7:39 pm

Re: Duxford Summer Air Show - 18th & 19th June

Post by rdchawk »

Everything is offensive to at least someone nowadays
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

GeeRam
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat 13 Jun 2020, 3:54 pm

Re: Duxford Summer Air Show - 18th & 19th June

Post by GeeRam »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Wed 22 Jun 2022, 11:48 am
G-CVIX wrote:
Wed 22 Jun 2022, 11:16 am
Mike wrote:
Wed 22 Jun 2022, 10:30 am
FarnboroJohn wrote:
Wed 22 Jun 2022, 10:20 am
That is a great shame and, I believe, quite unnecessary from an audience point of view. People that wet wouldn't go to such a concert in the first place.
It's not necessarily concerts themselves, but the military vehicle shows, (such as War & Peace), re-enactments and preserved railway '40s weekends' where such acts tend to get booked to appear that are getting cancelled.
Sorry to go off topic and respond but the reasons for War and Peace being cancelled are below, as per their official site:
It's with regret we have to advise that third party logistical issues and infrastructure supplies which are currently unavailable have resulted in the War and Peace Show not being able to meet the insurance and Health and Safety requirements for an open public event.
The only event I have seen that has cancelled that has directly referenced the Ukraine conflict is GWSR Wartime in the Cotswolds, and I have attached the statement below.
Wartime in the Cotswolds is cancelled
We are all aware of the terrible events unfolding in Ukraine. There appears to be no immediate indication that the conflict will end soon.
Daily news of death and destruction on a wide scale have led us to consider whether it is appropriate to continue to promote and hold our Wartime in the Cotswolds Weekend this year.
After giving the matter considerable thought the Board are unanimously of the view that we should cancel the event this year. The event was intended to be a joyful weekend and that conflicts deeply with what we now see happening. We believe that to continue would send completely the wrong message to our potential visitors and the wider public.
For the same reason, we have decided that the Schools Evacuation days should be suspended until the middle of the year, or until the situation in Ukraine settles down.
We realise that a considerable amount of work has gone into planning and organising these events this year, and that many of you will be disappointed by our decision. However, we have an obligation to make what we believe to be the right decision for our railway, and we are satisfied that in this case we have done so.
The weekend of 23rd / 24th April will revert to a standard purple timetable.
The Board, GWSR Plc.
The wartime team would like to thank everyone who had committed to joining us.
Nothing "wet" about that, IMO. The organisers have come together and made a decision that they feel is respectable.

The information about the pyros at Duxford has come from an unnamed volunteer - hardly reliable information. With all due respect, we're yelling "PC gone mad" when there's little evidence of that other than pure conjecture.

If it's true, it does seem a bit over the top. I think that the GWDT is pretty lost without pyros in all honesty.
I certainly take your point about "War and Peace", but the Cotswold railways thing is bang in the target area of what we are talking about and the organisers need a slap round the face with a wet fish and to be told to man up. Educating British people about the horrors of evacuation let alone refugeeship is exactly what should be to the fore at the moment and to cancel such events through second-guessing the British people's wimpishness level (and IMHO being wrong about it, I hope so anyway) is pathetic and entirely wrong. The board should resign and enter a monastery en masse.
Absolutely agree with this, with whats going on in Ukraine, and the parallels with what happened in Europe in 1938/9/40 etc., it should be a prime responsibility to highlight that very fact, not try and sweep it under some woke infested carpet.
Shockingly pathetic decision so typical of UK today and one that effectively sticks two fingers up to those that gave their lives in WW2 and and now doing so in Ukraine.

Post Reply