Schiphol Slot Cull

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
RAF4EVER

Schiphol Slot Cull

Post by RAF4EVER »

Schiphol to offer fewer flights from 2023 as ministers get tough on noise, pollution.

Schiphol airport will be able to offer no more than 440,000 take off and landing slots per year from November 2023, infrastructure minister Mark Harbers confirmed on Friday. The figure represents a 12% cut in the current total, which the airport is currently close to breaching, and would see traffic back at 2014 levels. The reduction is necessary to cope with noise and other forms of pollution, Harbers told MPs in a briefing. A ‘new balance’ is needed between ‘the importance of a good international airport, a good business climate and the importance of a better and healthier living environment’, Harbers said. ‘It is an illusion to think you can have 500,000 flights in this situation,’ he said. ‘Local residents are inconvenienced by flight noise and are concerned about the effects of aviation on their health, the environment and the climate.’ The news had been leaked earlier by broadcasters NOS and RTL Nieuws. Work will now start on the practicalities of the measure which will run for five years, Harbers said. ‘In the future we want to manage things differently, based on the actual noise and emissions rather than the number of flights.’

Restrictions

Aviation chiefs have said they doubt that the new restrictions will allow Schiphol to maintain its huge destination network, despite Harbers’ assurances. ‘It would seem as if the cabinet is deliberately strangling the aviation sector,’ said Marnix Fruitema, chairman of Barin, which represents airlines using Schiphol. ‘This has not been discussed with the aviation sector and conflicts with the coalition accord. It will also make flying impossible for people on low incomes,’ he said. Schiphol has been forced to cancel hundreds of flights this summer because of the shortage of staff and to avoid long queues. Harbers also confirmed that the government will not take a final decision on what to do about Lelystad airport, earmarked to take over some Schiphol traffic, until 2024.

Read more at DutchNews.nl:
Last edited by RAF4EVER on Sun 26 Jun 2022, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

cg_341

Re: Schiphol Slot Cull

Post by cg_341 »

Got a feeling this is going to become ever more common across Europe as governments look for easy ways to meet pollution targets.

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Rules already enacted in France ban internal flights of less than 2&1/2 hours.
It is expected similar rules will eventually affect the whole EU where existing train connections are available.
www.traveloffpath.com/many-flights-unde ... -are-next/

CJS

Post by CJS »

DOUGHNUT wrote:
Sun 26 Jun 2022, 8:28 pm
It is expected similar rules will eventually affect the whole EU where existing train connections are available.
How many internal flights within France are more than 2.5 hours?

Sounds like internal flights are, to all intents and purposes, just being banned.

I mean, I think it's the right call environmentally. But I bet you anything there will be loopholes - for business, official flights by MPs and so on - that most people will be able to utilise if needed.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Gregson

Post by Gregson »

CJS wrote:
Mon 27 Jun 2022, 9:03 am
DOUGHNUT wrote:

Sounds like internal flights are, to all intents and purposes, just being banned.

I mean, I think it's the right call environmentally. But I bet you anything there will be loopholes - for business, official flights by MPs and so on - that most people will be able to utilise if needed.
And the right call environmentally equalls the right call for everyone - there is NO "option B" with the environment!

Unlike @UKGOV with it's current conservative global warming deniers running the party, actively encourgaing more internal flights, opening up oil fields off Shetland, coal fields in the Lake Distric (with 90% of it being exported!?!) whilst their bumbling idiot of a leader claimed that "COP26 was the death nell for fossil fules". Really Boris, just another soundbyte then you cretin...

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Gregson wrote:
Mon 27 Jun 2022, 9:36 am
And the right call environmentally equalls the right call for everyone - there is NO "option B" with the environment!
And if France, with a vaguely connected public transport network that doesn't cost the earth, it works.

Try it in the UK and it'll be an absolute disaster!

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

cg_341 wrote:
Sun 26 Jun 2022, 10:57 am
Got a feeling this is going to become ever more common across Europe as governments look for easy ways to meet pollution targets.
I think the days of the low cost airlines like Sleezy Jet, Ryanair and the other european ones of a similar nature are numbered.

By the start of the next decade, or certainly by the end of it, flying anywhere will have become the preserve of the wealthy again, just like it was in the 50's/60's and early 70's.

Berf

Post by Berf »

CJS wrote:
Mon 27 Jun 2022, 9:03 am
DOUGHNUT wrote:

The ban is on internal flights where an alternative train service could be used that takes less than 2.5 hours.

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

There are no domestic flights in The Netherlands

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

RAF4EVER wrote:
Wed 29 Jun 2022, 8:40 pm
Correct. The point is the European Union are mostly liking going to impose similar rules on flights where train journeys exist.

CJS

Post by CJS »

DOUGHNUT wrote:
Thu 30 Jun 2022, 6:40 am
RAF4EVER wrote:
Correct. The point is the European Union are mostly liking going to impose similar rules on flights where train journeys exist.
Which is a very good thing.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Cole

Post by Cole »

CJS wrote:
Thu 30 Jun 2022, 8:28 am
DOUGHNUT wrote:
Thu 30 Jun 2022, 6:40 am
RAF4EVER wrote:
Which is a very good thing.
aslong as it doesnt end up costing an arm and a leg like here.
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..