Some more of Grandad's models!

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
CJS

Some more of Grandad's models!

Post by CJS »

Some of you may have seen that I posted some pics of my Grandad's WW2 vehicle models last week. Here are some of his aircraft models, made (I think) in the 1970s and 80s - certainly he had stopped modelling by the mid 90's due to arthritis in his hands.

I have rescued these from being given away when my parents moved house a few weeks ago; any IDs on the aircraft types would be welcome, as I am unsure on quite a few!

First up, I've got the F-111 and the Foxbat, but the other USAF plane?

DSC01848 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

These 2, I know I should know the type, but I don't!

DSC01850 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

Grandad liked to make sets of aircraft sometimes - 1 in flight, 1 on the ground with the engine running and 1 with it off. One of the Thunderbolts has lost its props here, and another seems to have never had the transfers added, but the set of 3 Mustangs are some of my favourites of his models I think.

DSC01851 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

Unsure of these types - any ideas?!

DSC01852 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

This one looks a lot like a Beechcraft 18, but the nose is too long?

DSC01853 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

Again, don't know the last 2!

DSC01843 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

ImageDSC01846 by Chris Strawson, on Flickr

Thanks for the ID help and I hope you enjoyed looking at them!
Chris
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

FarnboroJohn

Re: Some more of Grandad's models!

Post by FarnboroJohn »

The first jet you asked about is I think a North American RA-5 Vigilante, and I also think USN rather than USAF.

Then you have a couple of Percival Proctors - and another one in the last photo.

Second to last is a de Havilland Canada Beaver. Grandad played fast and loose with markings as when I checked the registration Google gave me a Miles Hawk Major!

The long nosed twin engine, twin tail thing I think is a Lockheed Model 12 Electra Junior.

The group of four is a bit weird but I'd guess an Airspeed Oxford top left and going clockwise, a Fairchild Provider, a Piper Cub and a different take on a Proctor, but I'm really stretching on those.

A fun quiz!

CJS

Post by CJS »

Thanks John - Grandad had a dark side then; using incorrect decals :-o

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Modelling as it used to be. A single choice for light grey, dark grey and green .... not the multiple colours available today.
Your grandad must have been a founder member of the WhIf brigade.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

CJS

Post by CJS »

What's the whlf brigade? Sorry, I mean yes, he was a founding member... 🤪

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

What If.
Generally aeroplanes in the markings of countries which never flew them. IPMS (UKAR) have a whole Special Interest Group dedicated to the practice.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

Not just WHIF on the markings. Never seen a DH Beaver with wheel spats and Grandad has also changed the engine as well as the cowling looks like it might house a Bristol Mercury or something similar with those cylinder head bulges.

Love to see a side view of the A5 from the first set as I’d like to see more of the markings he chose especially as the F111 looks to have late WW2 markings and I think that's great, do the model the way you want to without getting caught up in the minute details.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Tomahawk wrote:
Thu 14 Apr 2022, 9:16 pm
Not just WHIF on the markings. Never seen a DH Beaver with wheel spats and Grandad has also changed the engine as well as the cowling looks like it might house a Bristol Mercury or something similar with those cylinder head bulges.

Love to see a side view of the A5 from the first set as I’d like to see more of the markings he chose especially as the F111 looks to have late WW2 markings and I think that's great, do the model the way you want to without getting caught up in the minute details.
Sorry Tomahawk only just seen this. From memory Grandad had a huge box of 'bits' that he would use if a kit was either incomplete or - as may be the case with the Beaver - he just fancied seeing what it might look like.

There's nothing else on the side of the A-5 except letters near the nose - ED (or O). Certainly with the decals he would use whatever he fancied from a large bag full of them - that I do remember clearly!

Many of his model ships were handbuilt from scratch using strips of wood and bits borrowed from other kits, so I guess it stems from a similar idea.

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

Happened to be in the US recently and was able to attend the Thunder over Dover airshow at Dover AFB in Delaware where I saw the following, a modern T1 Jayhawk, in WW2 colours and markings. First thing I thought of was Grandad and his models, not so WHIF after all :grinning: .

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

think the F-111 is a USN F-111B!

CJS

Post by CJS »

Tomahawk wrote:
Sun 19 Jun 2022, 9:52 pm
Happened to be in the US recently and was able to attend the Thunder over Dover airshow at Dover AFB in Delaware where I saw the following, a modern T1 Jayhawk, in WW2 colours and markings. First thing I thought of was Grandad and his models, not so WHIF after all :grinning: .

Ha! There ya go - he was a trailblazer after all :grin: