RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
HeyfordDave111

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

oh and with farnborough having an ATAK, wouldnt that be a cherry on RIAT's cake?
Got to love Russianhardware

Sargares

Post by Sargares »

Best Riat in ages.

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Well I am quite surprised Japan is sending the C-2. Most likely trying to get some export orders 😁, imo its nothing super exciting but its better to have it than not. Let's see if India can add the cherry on top.

CJS

Post by CJS »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Thu 30 Jun 2022, 8:08 pm
Well I am quite surprised Japan is sending the C-2. Most likely trying to get some export orders 😁, imo its nothing super exciting but its better to have it than not. Let's see if India can add the cherry on top.
Seriously, I know it's your opinion and whatever, but this is a cake resplendent in cherries already. And just the phrase "it's better to have it than not..." I simply cannot fathom.

Or is it just me?
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

CJS wrote:
Thu 30 Jun 2022, 8:12 pm
And just the phrase "it's better to have it than not..." I simply cannot fathom.

Or is it just me?
Fast jet bro strikes again.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

bobby 1211 wrote:
What was it that Drax quoted about Starlord when he recovered his tape player?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Woodster

Post by Woodster »

RIAT Air Ops wrote:
Thu 30 Jun 2022, 4:02 pm
I mean, draw your own conclusions from the fact our Air Operation Order lists the wingspans for 727, 737, 747, 757 and 767, plus a whole host of other large aircraft which aren't coming to the show this year, to help my Air Traffic Controllers know what aircraft can fit where. More pot luck from the poster who shared this on Fighter Control, especially as we don't have a B-1B Lancer coming to RIAT 2022, but it's wingspans included on the list.

Cheers,
Peter
Cracking update today, well done again to Peter and the team. E4B is definitely a star item.
Which brings me to the above comment....how can you call the FC posters comments as 'Pot Luck' base on a number of wingspan to select from. It's like me stating there's going to be Indian Flankers because they are ongoing and there's usually a star item last minute. There has to be some credibility in there somewhere as 2 out of the 3 have been confirmed.

Be good to see Japan if its confirmed.

Also, in the initial interview with Peter at the start of the year it was mentioned that we may get the 57th nation attend. Did this ever come to fruition?

Shocker regarding the FRIAT news. However, if you lot pay it they'll keep on milking it! I'm sure they will increase General Admission prices too

I'm generally looking forward to the gates opening again in 2 weeks!

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Seriously, I know it's your opinion and whatever, but this is a cake resplendent in cherries already. And just the phrase "it's better to have it than not..." I simply cannot fathom.
Well the more cherries there is the better, no? And is it not better to have the C-2 than not? Yes it won't be the main attraction but a mini C-17 ain't bad.
cg_341 wrote:
Thu 30 Jun 2022, 8:25 pm
Fast jet bro strikes again.
As I mentioned before to the disbelief of many I go to RIAT to see some afterburner action and some heavies. I had a quick look at your profile and you seem to be involved in many other aviation topics, to the point I would call you an enthusiast. For you to take offence because I dislike prop trainers is... weird? Like I specifically said that it's good to have a variety in the line-up and its good for people like yourself who want to see a RIAT debut. In the meantime I can go around to talk to the crew etc when a display I have no interest in is doing their demo, is it really a problem I don't want to see all the displays?
Sometimes I really feel like I am the only person under 25 years old on this forum. Say your unhappy about something and you get attacked (frankly many people have the same opinion about this forum).

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

MiG_Eater wrote:
Thu 30 Jun 2022, 3:22 pm
...its just they wait 'til 12:00 noon every Thursday to open their mailbag... :D
Bit like Christmas 😂👍

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Like many, I only go to the show days, so when an update comes out my eyes scan quickly to look at make of a plane and then quickly scan to see the word 'flying' , and feel a bit gutted when it doesnt appear. But it is what it is, and in this instance having a B4 on the ground is definitely better than none at all. What are the chances of being able to look round it inside , or is it off limits for security ?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Mr Benn wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 7:04 am
Like many, I only go to the show days, so when an update comes out my eyes scan quickly to look at make of a plane and then quickly scan to see the word 'flying' , and feel a bit gutted when it doesnt appear. But it is what it is, and in this instance having a B4 on the ground is definitely better than none at all. What are the chances of being able to look round it inside , or is it off limits for security ?
Access to the B4 and after is not allowed, Friday to Sunday are accessible providing you have a ticket.

JMC

Post by JMC »

My guess is we’ll be allowed nowhere near it Mr Benn. In 2012 the B-2 was police with guns stood next to it (not sure if this was for security or just the US flexing their muscles) but I can imagine a similar sort of thing for this aircraft.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Mr Benn wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 7:04 am
I don’t know either way, but I daresay it’ll be roped off and full of security guys.

If they get nervous about tours of the P-8, the. They definitely will about the E-4!

AMB

Post by AMB »

CJS wrote:
bobby 1211 wrote:

Or is it just me?
Quite agree! Having a rare type at RIAT is certainly to be applauded and appreciated by anyone with any knowledge of aviation .
Last edited by AMB on Fri 01 Jul 2022, 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adrian

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

AMB wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 8:39 am
CJS wrote:
bobby 1211 wrote:

Or is it just me?
Quite agree! Having a type at RIAT that has never been before, let alone visited the UK, is certainly to be applauded and appreciated by anyone with any knowledge of aviation .
A JASDF C-2 was at RIAT in 2018. Its still a good catch for RIAT though

AMB

Post by AMB »

clearstone wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 8:40 am
AMB wrote:
CJS wrote:
bobby 1211 wrote:

Or is it just me?
Quite agree! Having a type at RIAT that has never been before, let alone visited the UK, is certainly to be applauded and appreciated by anyone with any knowledge of aviation .
Oops, I stand corrected - thanks! Next surprise will be the Austrian Typhoon in special scheme - maybe that will please ' Bobby 1211'?
Adrian

snicker01

Post by snicker01 »

clearstone wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 8:40 am
AMB wrote:
CJS wrote:
bobby 1211 wrote:

Or is it just me?
Does anyone know if the C-2 will be static or flying?

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

Going by the Press Release, static ("Ground Exhibition").

JMC

Post by JMC »

Last time it was over, they opened it up and were giving out freebies! Same again please!

Jonnym

Post by Jonnym »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Thu 30 Jun 2022, 10:33 pm
As I mentioned before to the disbelief of many I go to RIAT to see some afterburner action and some heavies. I had a quick look at your profile and you seem to be involved in many other aviation topics, to the point I would call you an enthusiast. For you to take offence because I dislike prop trainers is... weird? Like I specifically said that it's good to have a variety in the line-up and its good for people like yourself who want to see a RIAT debut. In the meantime I can go around to talk to the crew etc when a display I have no interest in is doing their demo, is it really a problem I don't want to see all the displays?
Sometimes I really feel like I am the only person under 25 years old on this forum. Say your unhappy about something and you get attacked (frankly many people have the same opinion about this forum).
So long as people don't berate an airshow line-up for what others may like and not catering to 'their' tastes, don't feel you have to justify a love of afterburner and fast jets! I wouldn't be into the hobby if I didn't see a tornado ripping the skies up at Rhyl Air Show many years ago and I'm sure many people got into the hobby the same way. I still have a main interest in fast jets and heavies (call me a fast jet bro - I don't mind! haha) but the hobby branches out and you start to appreciate the more nuanced aspects of it as the hobby absorbs you. The fast jet heavy line-up in 2018 (i think) actually felt a little too much of a good thing, even to me - whereas I'm really looking forward to some of the heli stuff this year. You do you!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I think, with respect, it’s also the tone with with objectively stupidly rare things are almost written off. When else will you see French PC-21s in the U.K., or Danish T-17s, or a Japanese C-2? They aren’t exactly regulars to these shores.

For example, for me, I’m not overly fussed with the Hellenic F-16 - I love the livery and I enjoy that they’re coming and that others enjoy it, but the display isn’t to my taste, and I’ve seen it plenty of times.

But I don’t keep going on about how it’s “filler” or “padding” or “my chance to grab a burger!” - I just leave other people enjoy it, and I look forward to the things that I’m personally excited to see.

(Not directed at anyone, btw)

FastJetBros, HelicopterDudes, HeavyChads - all enjoy different things - and can all unite in judging at SpamGuys like DanL (😘) (just kidding obvs)

JMC

Post by JMC »

Tommy, are you turning your nose up at a fast jet? You anti-jet, jetaphobic, prop loving loon!

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

It's not so much not being interested in certain types that is the problem for me, it's the (again with respect) way that dis-interest is expressed in the posts that I think causes the responses. If I'm not interested in something, I wouldn't comment on it personally...just leave others to it.

Going to break that rule a little now by saying I agree with 'Tommy' on the Hellenic F-16C - I keep hoping they'll amend their routine....but last time I saw it from within the showground he appeared to be displaying at an air show at Brize Norton rather than Fairford. Rented a 150-600 lens this year in the hope of getting a photo of it! :laughing:

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

JMC wrote:
Fri 01 Jul 2022, 9:55 am
Tommy, are you turning your nose up at a fast jet? You anti-jet, jetaphobic, prop loving loon!
Nah, he’s just the “helicopter guy” :wink:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Credit to the Japanese bringing the C-2 across for just Fairford as well by the looks of the schedule, surprised its not combining it with Farnborough too, considering its recent appearances at several other trade shows.

Do like the camo scheme on them.

Tommy will be almost spontaneously combusting when the German Air Force H145 M LUH SOF comes in, bet you he'll fluff the designation with excitement.