Fly Navy at Old Warden

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
FlatEric999

Fly Navy at Old Warden

Post by FlatEric999 »

For my first outing post-pandemic I thought this was a great show (despite the new parking arrangements - ugh!). I actually enjoyed the changeable weather conditions albiet they did pose some challenges; the contrast between the Catalina and the slate grey skies was awesome! Given that this is the 40th anniversary of the Falklands conflict it was especially good to see some many types from that era represented.

Hope you enjoy :)

PS/. Does anyone know why one of the Wessex's 4 rotor blades was painted yellow?

Thunder City Veteran

Re: Fly Navy at Old Warden

Post by Thunder City Veteran »

Nice set!
I’m guessing the yellow blade is a visual aid for pilots hovering next to cliffs or ships in grey, dull conditions, so they can judge distance from obstructions. Would also help deck crews too pick out fast spinning blades??

FlatEric999

Post by FlatEric999 »

Thanks TCV :)

Your explanation makes a lot of sense and supports what I was thinking. Strange why it only involves one of the four blades (perhaps the asymetry makes it more obvious..??). Cheers

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

I'm sure I read that the yellow blade is to make the helicopter visible from above, i.e when it's hovering at low level.

FlatEric999

Post by FlatEric999 »

Interesting discussion on BritModeller.com website about the origins and purpose of the single yellow blade. Although there is some disagreement it seems that the single yellow blade was introduced in the late 80's to make SAR helos more visible from above to avoid confliction with fast jets (a lot more of both back in the day):

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/ind ... ex-colors/

"The one blade was highly visible - you could see the single blade going round well before you could see the yellow fuselage in many cases."

So it looks like cg_341 is correct :thumbsup:

XP282

Post by XP282 »

I'm pretty sure that the reason a single blade is painted yellow (its the same on the SAR Seakings) related to airfield lighting and night ops... I dont know the numbers but airfield lighting run at XX Htz. That means that the light pulses on and off XX times per second. If the rotors a turning at the same frequency then I can give the appearance that they are stationary when in fact they are rotating. If all blades were yellow, or any set colour then it would give this same appearance that the blades aren't turning. To help counter this risk, a single blade is painted yellow. Thats my understanding anyway!!!