go pro help required

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
HeyfordDave111

go pro help required

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Hi everyone,

I see the need to invest in 2 (yes 2 ) go pro cameras for a mix of uses, from aircraft, to wildlife and security (possibly car use too).

Can anyone advise on models that i may need and how good said models might be please?
Cheers
Dave
Got to love Russianhardware

Berf

Re: go pro help required

Post by Berf »

I have a Hero 7 black I use it for video so can't really comment on the single image quality but for the odd picture I have taken it seems ok. The uses you mention are a bit vague. The camera is wide angle , if it was attached to an aircraft or in a cockpit fine or at best under the ILS looking up at an A380 for example. For birds-animals attached to or close to a feeding station works. Not sure how you would use it for security - cameras like the Reolink and Arlo seem more appropriate - I have an Reolink and it works very well. The quality of video from the Hero 7 black at 4K is excellent - of the later models the 8 seems to be not much different but the 9 is another step up however I am not sure it is needed - is more than 4K really needed?. The stabilisation is upgraded but if you are using it as a static camera , ie not on your helmet while doing BMX etc you don't really need it.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Hi mate,

Ok, i should have xplained the security thing a bit more..... i'd be using it as an internal car 'dash cam' type thing when on trips etc

I wont need anything more than a 4k.
Cheers
Dave
Got to love Russianhardware

Berf

Post by Berf »

I use mine as a dash cam - works fine - but there are much cheaper options unless you really want 4k for a dash cam. The downside is also that it will eat up the battery

RRconway

Post by RRconway »

Hi Dave,

I have the hero 7 black as well.
I bought mine 2 years ago for a holiday in Ibiza for snorkling etc and it was great for that, the battry life isn't great but I don't think it ever ran out on me, although I did buy a sceond battery just in case.
I also used it as a general camera for holiday snaps on the same trip and it worked fine. I think Berf said it is a wide angle, and it is but it also has a linear setting which reduces the angle cinsiderably for memory snaps as I call them.

Ref using it for aircraft and wildlife, i'm not sure what sort of aircraft and wildlife you have in mind but you will need to be really close to the subject to get anything meaningful, especially with animals which will probably be impossible, you mihgt get some arty shots of aircraft close up but thats about it.

Can't comment on security, but I would imagine the battery life will put the kybosh on that aspect.
For dash cam, buy a dashcam, much cheaper, easier to mount and if installed correctly, ie hardwired then many of them will do time lapse while you are away from your car.

Cheers,
Jeff
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.