RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
jules48

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by jules48 »

RED ALERT for weather means exactly that and is a danger to life whatever age you are.Even keeping hydrated may not help as too much water can make you ill aswell.Its people,s own responsibility to act how they think is best for them and tbh spending 8 hours watching an airshow in the heat which is going to be even higher tomorrow and monday is irresponsible and just adds to the pressure emergency services are under anyway.I would rather forfeit going then be seriously ill but certain people just act stupid and cannot be told.

mad_djg

Post by mad_djg »

Thoroughly enjoyed the day.

My highlights definitely include the Black Eagles and the Austrian QRA, but I also really enjoyed the Sokol and the Czech Hip and Hind. Loved seeing the “Flying Whale” as well.

As for the RAF displays - they all feel stale.

After 3 days I’m absolutely shattered so will give tomorrow a miss and come back fresh on Monday. For those going tomorrow I hope it’s as enjoyable as today.

Dan213

Post by Dan213 »

john001 wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 7:38 pm
It was embarrassing when the Riat photographers up the big ladder strongly “asked” the Spanish F18 team to move their tables, chairs,and items they were selling so they could get an uncluttered picture. The Spanish were less than happy and only moved when the senior officer told them to. While the Riat people offered to help they were impolite and could have come back later. Clearly they don’t speak Spanish or they would have got the drift of the unhappiness- please remember these people are your guests and we want them to come back - you and your photographic needs are secondary
Same can be said for the FRIAT members on the grass in front of the stand moaning at the Black Eagles/Italian crews to move. Quite frankly I find it embarrassing that people would rather make their lives difficult that moving 10m further up the crowdline. The crews are only in there for the duration of the display!

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

jules48 wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 7:47 pm
RED ALERT for weather means exactly that and is a danger to life whatever age you are.Even keeping hydrated may not help as too much water can make you ill aswell.Its people,s own responsibility to act how they think is best for them and tbh spending 8 hours watching an airshow in the heat which is going to be even higher tomorrow and monday is irresponsible and just adds to the pressure emergency services are under anyway.I would rather forfeit going then be seriously ill but certain people just act stupid and cannot be told.
A great post. I'm very surprised they haven't cancelled tomorrow. The emergency services were completely overwhelmed this afternoon and that is not responsible behaviour by the organisers. Ploughing on regardless could be very risky.

coanda

Post by coanda »

Dan213 wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 7:53 pm
john001 wrote:
It was embarrassing when the Riat photographers up the big ladder strongly “asked” the Spanish F18 team to move their tables, chairs,and items they were selling so they could get an uncluttered picture. The Spanish were less than happy and only moved when the senior officer told them to. While the Riat people offered to help they were impolite and could have come back later. Clearly they don’t speak Spanish or they would have got the drift of the unhappiness- please remember these people are your guests and we want them to come back - you and your photographic needs are secondary
Same can be said for the FRIAT members on the grass in front of the stand moaning at the Black Eagles/Italian crews to move. Quite frankly I find it embarrassing that people would rather make their lives difficult that moving 10m further up the crowdline.
I was going to make a comment about this - every year I have been in the FRIAT enclosure, there have been people telling crews to move their stuff 'so they can see'. It's embarrassing to watch. I kinda pity the people that do attempt to push crews around. The filming of displays is an important part of flight safety and continuous improvement, and doing so from a known fixed position is an essential part of the task.

I was going to suggest to Wendy that it be made clear that formation display teams will film from crowd centre and suggest people move for the duration of that part of the flying display if they have an issue. Enjoyment of the individual is a much lower priority than flight safety.

And another thing - pick up your litter! arrgghhh

john001

Post by john001 »

Dan213 wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 7:53 pm
john001 wrote:
Same can be said for the FRIAT members on the grass in front of the stand moaning at the Black Eagles/Italian crews to move. Quite frankly I find it embarrassing that people would rather make their lives difficult that moving 10m further up the crowdline. The crews are only in there for the duration of the display!
Unbelievable-the crews and engaging with them makes the show. So many of them standing out in the sun especially in the unforgiving west end today was outstanding

JMC

Post by JMC »

The ego’s of some photographers is hilarious…

coanda

Post by coanda »

Flare Path wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 7:58 pm
jules48 wrote:
A great post. I'm very surprised they haven't cancelled tomorrow. The emergency services were completely overwhelmed this afternoon and that is not responsible behaviour by the organisers. Ploughing on regardless could be very risky.
If individuals think they are going to be negatively effected by the weather conditions so much that they feel they'll need the emergency services, they should stay at home. There are those of us who are prepared and able to deal with it. Stop promoting nannying the public and start promoting critical thinking skills to the public.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Flare Path wrote:
jules48 wrote:
I remember one Yeovilton Airday about 10 years ago, it was searing hot and the only place I could find to shelter was behind a wheelie bin. It was not that pleasant at all. I am going to try and go to the Cotswold Water Park tomorrow take in some nature, be near to the car (and air con) and see the displays in the distance.

Monday I hope to get a ticket for departures and am banking on it being only for four hours or so before it gets overpoweringly hot.

Wouldn’t particularly want to be on the show ground tomorrow though if it is as hot as they are forecasting.

Meep

Post by Meep »

UKAirshowTour wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 7:46 pm
I have to say the Jordanians get a lot of unfair criticism and their display today was one of the best I’ve seen from them. That Austrian typhoon take off is on another level and the Hellenic f-16 is definitely up there now
The static location of their C130 was embarrassing on RIAT's part. They had fantastic tail art yet were stuffed at back so you barely photograph 1 side of it. Was that really the only spot? In year where unique liveries were a bit thin on the ground, they should really make the most of situations like that. Especially given their tent is always really popular alongside it (although the Omani tent won this year on the grounds they were insistent I take not just 1 free bottle of water but 2, the warmth and hospitality was great in both)

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Anyone know why we didn't get the Typhoon/Spitfire together. Of all the shows I'd of thought it would happen here, really poor tbh as there wasn't much between the two acts in the program.

Dan213

Post by Dan213 »

Flare Path wrote:
jules48 wrote:
Just to point out here, the red weather warning does not cover Fairford at any time over the next few days:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/wa ... 2022-07-19

ethan363

Post by ethan363 »

i’m going to the show tomorrow. i’ve heard that you can go in some cockpits , if true, which planes can you go inside of ?

thanks

verreli

Post by verreli »

john001 wrote:
How rude of the photographers. The Spanish were right to be P'd. Surely photo's of the show should be about the interaction with the public, not just the aircraft?

Meep

Post by Meep »

FGR2 wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 8:04 pm
Flare Path wrote:
jules48 wrote:
I remember one Yeovilton Airday about 10 years ago, it was searing hot and the only place I could find to shelter was behind a wheelie bin. It was not that pleasant at all. I am going to try and go to the Cotswold Water Park tomorrow take in some nature, be near to the car (and air con) and see the displays in the distance.

Monday I hope to get a ticket for departures and am banking on it being only for four hours or so before it gets overpoweringly hot.

Wouldn’t particularly want to be on the show ground tomorrow though if it is as hot as they are forecasting.
The forecast for Monday is a lot hotter than tomorrow.

Personally I wouldn't be in favour of cancelling tomorrow unless the Emergency Services think they should. But Monday as a non main show day is a different matter, that to me doesn't seem sensible to have the public attend if the forecasts stays as

verreli

Post by verreli »

Flare Path wrote:
jules48 wrote:
What nonsense. As much as some would like a nanny state, we're not there yet. If it's too hot for you, get out of the kitchen. Your choice.

coanda

Post by coanda »

ethan363 wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 8:11 pm
i’m going to the show tomorrow. i’ve heard that you can go in some cockpits , if true, which planes can you go inside of ?

thanks
Hi Ethan, on Friday, some cargo aircraft were open - my immediate recollection is the Luftwaffe A400M and the SAC Heavy Airlift C-17. Both right in the middle of static lineup. Potentially, other cargo aircraft may be open too. This mostly depends on whether there are enough crew and also if they have any other commitments (PR, engineering etc). I think it unlikely that you'll get to sit in a single seat aircraft, but there were some groups being shown around some of them (F-15E was one I saw). Nothing is certain here - take what there is! (I stood in line to sit in a Ukrainian Backfire a long time ago, and as I was about 5 from the front, they had enough and went off to do something else...)

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

verreli wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 8:17 pm
Flare Path wrote:
jules48 wrote:
What nonsense. As much as some would like a nanny state, we're not there yet. If it's too hot for you, get out of the kitchen. Your choice.
It's not nonsense though. Emergency services really had a hard time today. I'm not making a decision for anyone, but today was unbearable and those thinking tomorrow will be fine are in for a big shock.

bishbashbosh

Post by bishbashbosh »

Flare Path wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 8:29 pm
verreli wrote:
Flare Path wrote:
jules48 wrote:
It's not nonsense though. Emergency services really had a hard time today. I'm not making a decision for anyone, but today was unbearable and those thinking tomorrow will be fine are in for a big shock.
It might have been unbearable for you, but it was fine for me, and about 100,000 other people. The weather has been well reported and it’s now up to individuals to take some personal responsibility. If you think you are in a high risk group, then stay at home.
2024 shows: Abingdon, Cosford, Sywell, RIAT, Zeltweg with a couple of Duxford and Shutteworth shows thrown into the mix.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Flare Path wrote:
verreli wrote:
Flare Path wrote:
jules48 wrote:
Except we're not, because we're prepared and we're not idiots.

Have a great day tomorrow and see some of you by Wonderland models at 9 👍🏼
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

ethan363 wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 8:11 pm

thanks
I went in the Romanian An-30 & the C2 cargo hold today. Saw a few others open at the end of the day, but worth just wandering the static line & trusting to luck really. Just ask the crews nicely, if there's one you especially wanted to see on board....worst they can say is "sorry no' 🤷‍♂️

On today, lots of really high quality displays! Nothing I'd really criticise....Austrians are brilliant, but I'd seen then a few years ago & knew they would be - for me the Belgian F-16 is the best solo jet there (amongst many quality fast jet displays), the pilot just manages to do something different with it & still make it dynamic, which is saying something for a 40+ year old design. Black Eagles so good with all that blue sky to play with & just sitting & watching the Slovenian PC-9M display brings home how good that pilot is!

I knew they'd squeeze 'Boris Force One' into the show somehow 😆

JMC

Post by JMC »

I love the aircraft & respect the effort from the Danish air crew, but Baby Blue were enough to put an Insomniac to sleep.

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

So…the greatest airshow in Europe, likely even worldwide this year finally takes place again after two years without any comparable events, they managed a participation list one could only dream of some months prior and some people really demand a cancellation due to hot weather (and blue skies) - are you serious? It is an outdoor event and naturally can get hot/cold/dry/wet/windy/whatever…surprise surprise. Do you really need someone to dictate what is good for you and what is not? Do we want rules and guidelines to determine one’s way through life everywhere…what about common sense, personal responsibility and tolerance? These values seem to get lost in society in general, shocking to witness this in an airshow enthusiast forum as well. Nowadays everything is easily available like detailed weather reports, hints and warnings from the organisers, equipment for any weather, water supply on site and so on…still some people manage to appear completely unprepared and then talk about how irresponsible it is to continue the event. Factors like temperature affect people differently - what is too hot for you may be within the comfort zone for another individual. Asking for a cancellation for everyone because something does not suit yourself well, you are too lazy to prepare yourself or depend on the organisers or someone else to figure out your personal physical limits is nothing but selfish.

Rant over back on topic… sorry I just don’t get some people. What an awesome show there is really nothing to moan about.
Last edited by p2philip on Sat 16 Jul 2022, 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

frank

Post by frank »

bishbashbosh wrote:
Sat 16 Jul 2022, 8:39 pm
Flare Path wrote:
verreli wrote:
Flare Path wrote:
jules48 wrote:
It might have been unbearable for you, but it was fine for me, and about 100,000 other people. The weather has been well reported and it’s now up to individuals to take some personal responsibility. If you think you are in a high risk group, then stay at home.
Certainly it was hot today but definitely not unbearable. Plenty of water, sun screen and a good hat. Today’s temp from memory was 28 or 29 and Beeb currently showing 31C for Sunday.
Mondays temp is different story, now that will be a problem.

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

I just got back home after a 4am wake up.
Firstly I am very happy and positively surprised with how the shuttle bus system works.
This morning however there was an accident and my bus was the last which was allowed through. I feel sorry for those who waited at Swindon bus station but all empty buses where stuck in the traffic jam. I missed the Italian Typhoon because of this, but its not the end of the world.
With regards to the show - brilliant. The sun however ruined it for me. I used up half a bottle of sun cream on just making sure ive seen all the static aircraft (35k steps) and I decided its enough when the BBFM was flying. I went over and hid in the shadow on the Techno zone where I stayed for the rest of the flying programme. It was so refreshing to not be in the sun although I had a bit of a restricted view of the displays, except from the W-3a which I barley saw as it passed the ATC tower once, at the end of the demo? At least I saw two men handing on a winch in the air 😆
I ended up walking to the exit during the Silver swallows display and left fairford as the Swiss f18 was taking off so manged to get some quick photos of the flypast.
Now, if the weather was cooler I would have 100% stayed for the whole show but its just impossible. For anyone going tomorrow its going to be even HOTTER bring a tent, umbrella or whatever else to shield you. Can't count how many people fainted.

Also did the dream viper break down? as I saw the spare jet being used - nice scheme anyway tbf