Re: Abingdon Air(show) & Country Show 2021

Post by keithjs »

farnboroughrob wrote:
Wed 08 Sep 2021, 11:12 am
keithjs wrote:
Wed 08 Sep 2021, 10:58 am
farnboroughrob wrote:
Wed 08 Sep 2021, 10:35 am
I am planning on getting there around 10 to gate B, am I likely to sit in much traffic?
From my experience of going every year since day one I've never had any problems getting in. Mind you, I'm usually there by about 9. Getting out tho' can be a bit hit and miss. You need to decide whether to go a little early or stay later. But then thats the same for pretty much every show isn't it..?
thanks for that , not been to Abingdon since the last RAF 'at home' day and the Mrs is not keen on sitting in the car for a couple of hours with nothing to look at.
You're welcome. As I take the Jeep it doesn't really apply to us but the usual plan of campaign is to get all the traffic swiftly off the road onto the airfield to your parking spot, then you queue as a 'pedestrian' to go through the booths. All usually quite effcient from what I've seen. If you're lucky you'll get to see aircraft arriving while you're waiting.Have fun.
...Rad shutters auto.

Mike

Post by Mike »

I do wonder how some posters here function in real life. It seems they have the capacity of a 3 year-old to process available information and make decisions for themselves.

sdad

Post by sdad »

<predicament we had at the start of planning>
I was fully aware! You made it quite clear at the time. That was exactly the problem.

sdad

Post by sdad »

<plan of campaign is to get all the traffic swiftly off the road onto the airfield to your parking spot, then you queue as a 'pedestrian' to>
I found exactly the opposite when I went in 2017. I never did understand why you crawled in the car for ages to buy a ticket from a less than efficient seller, then had to go through a gazebo on foot and show the same ticket.

Wondy

Post by Wondy »

Dont suppose anyone knows what time Sally B is due in to Abingdon tonight? She may well even be there

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Looking at its track on FR24 it landed around 4pm.

Wondy

Post by Wondy »

cg_341 wrote:
Fri 10 Sep 2021, 5:48 pm
Looking at its track on FR24 it landed around 4pm.
Thankyou.

Hope everyone who is going tomorrow has a great day im really looking forward to the show.

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Does anyone know the radio frequencies for Abingdon tomorrow?

Thanks in advance for any info provided.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

I'd imagine tower and display will use two of the published CAA event frequencies. I don't have them to hand currently.

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Abigndon offical facebook page reporting tower as 132.9, havent got display but guess it will be a common one
Thomas

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Tom105 wrote:
Fri 10 Sep 2021, 8:43 pm
Abigndon offical facebook page reporting tower as 132.9, havent got display but guess it will be a common one
Thanks to both of you. I do have the "common air show frequencies" programmed into several scanners but it is much easier to pre-select a channel than to scan and possibly lock on to a "wrong" channel.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Just back from my first trip to Abingdon since the 90s' Arrived around 9:50 and drove straight in. Parked up on about the 5th row on B gate carpark about 10 cars along from the crowd line, perfect for watching the flying later. Was a biq queue for the showground opening at 10 but by 10:15 it had gone and we walked straight in.
This was my first show back from lockdown and it was lovely to be back. Looked like the visiting aircraft were down due to the murky weather early on? Some varied stalls, mrs was happy, managed to buy a few models at a good price. Apart from that we only brought a cuppa and some fudge. We then went back to the car for food and watch the flying. Only criticism was lack of timings for the displays in the programme. Departed about 4pm with no issues. great to be back at a airshow again.

197cup

Post by 197cup »

What a superb superb show yesterday, absolutely loved being back at a proper airshow. Nice to see a bit of support from the RAF for a change. The warbirds was the stars though, the Mustang was my highlight.
Took an age to get out of the car park but I really don’t mind as it was such a great day.
Well done to old tower and team.

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

• "Ab Fab" - Andy Evans reports from the former RAF Abingdon.

Image Image Image

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Very accurate & fair report on the Event. The Organising Team really do deserve catch a break with their 'indicated' participation from the RAF Display Allocations Team? The local bases do seem reluctant to help-out in any way by either static or flying contributions. I'm afraid that Chinook showing made the BBMF Spitfire look interesting! :sleeping:
Wishing 'Oldtower' & the Team best of luck for next year's September offering. :slight_smile: