The UKAR politics thread

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
pbeardmore

Re: The UKAR politics thread

Post by pbeardmore »

Interesting chat with mates in the pub last week. We agreed that one of the issues with current politics is the lack of understanding and genuine discussion from perspectives that we don't agree with. On that basis, I thought about how I could have a grown up conversation with a Truss supporter. But, I literally don't know of any. Remarkable times.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

I get the theory that raising interest rates helps reduce inflation by reducing people’s spending money and therefore demand; however I have always thought it a blunt instrument because it reduces money for companies to invest to improve productivity.

However, that’s in more normal times. We’re in a serious situation of a cost of living crisis where the least able to cope financially are already being badly hit so how the giddy aunt does raising interest rates help now?

Any economists out there?
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

psquiddy

Post by psquiddy »

iainpeden wrote:
Thu 04 Aug 2022, 5:16 pm
I get the theory that raising interest rates helps reduce inflation by reducing people’s spending money and therefore demand; however I have always thought it a blunt instrument because it reduces money for companies to invest to improve productivity.

However, that’s in more normal times. We’re in a serious situation of a cost of living crisis where the least able to cope financially are already being badly hit so how the giddy aunt does raising interest rates help now?

Any economists out there?
Raising interest rates gives spending money to those with savings .
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

But those with savings, cash at least, are seeing those losing value. If the predictions are right cash savings will be worth about 11% less over the year 13% inflation off set by 2% interest.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

At least the tories are honest and open about their values, more money for Tunbridge Wells and less money for "deprived, urban areas".

check out the people in the background, our future in their hands.

https://video.twimg.com/amplify_video/1 ... mp4?tag=14
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

pbeardmore wrote:
Fri 05 Aug 2022, 1:32 pm
At least the tories are honest and open about their values, more money for Tunbridge Wells and less money for "deprived, urban areas".

check out the people in the background, our future in their hands.

https://video.twimg.com/amplify_video/1 ... mp4?tag=14
As much as I disagree with him on virtually everything, he does have a point here. The way that money is distributed, it is highly likely that a poor person in Tunbridge Wells is worse off than a poor person in the North-east. And what's more their deprivation will also be much more apparent to them living in an affluent area. It's still rubbish for his inability to put this into words.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

if you want to help the poor, then do so, it's pure tory philosophy that, to help the poor in one area, the correct thing to do is take money from the poor in another area. There are clearly other options but not in Tory land.