633 Squadron Fairey Battle I

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
FarnboroJohn

633 Squadron Fairey Battle I

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Latest model in the 633 Squadron project is the Classic Airframes 1:48 Fairey Battle I.

I’ll let the RAF Museum’s history of 633 Squadron set the scene:

“No.633 Squadron formed in October 1937 as part of 2 Group, Bomber Command, equipped with Fairey Battle light bomber aircraft. It was sent to France to support the British Expeditionary Force (B.E.F.) as part of the Advanced Air Striking Force. During the invasion of France and the Low Countries it fought hard, attacking armoured columns and other tactical targets to slow the German advance. By late May 1940, the squadron was so depleted that its remains were absorbed into other Battle squadrons, effectively disbanding the unit.

The squadron was reformed in June 1940, flying Bristol Blenheims.”

I started out thinking it was a straightforward kit but found out during the build that things like vacform canopies make for problems, particularly when you decide to hack them into their component parts. Having internal frames under vacform canopies makes for a total nightmare!

However, it was a satisfying build to complete especially as I’ve gone a little further in personalizing the kitbashing than usual. Early on it occurred to me that Fairey Battles in France got absolutely hammered and I briefly considered a crash diorama, quickly deciding I couldn’t face considerably hacking up what had been an expensive kit as it was out of production. A damaged aircraft on return seemed a reasonable alternative and it occurred to me I could pirate the opening scene of the film 633 Squadron. So below please see Sgt Gillibrand’s Fairey Battle, “somewhere in France” in May 1940 with his crew pointing out a tattered rudder, to which his response has to be “Hardly touched us.”

Image20210822 (2)_633_Squadron_Fairey_Battle_I by John Dixon, on Flickr

Image20210908 (9)_633_Squadron_Fairey_Battle_I by John Dixon, on Flickr

Image20210822 (4)_633_Squadron_Fairey_Battle_I by John Dixon, on Flickr

Image20210908 (4)_633_Squadron_Fairey_Battle_I by John Dixon, on Flickr

Image20210908 (6)_633_Squadron_Fairey_Battle_I by John Dixon, on Flickr

Image20210908 (7)_633_Squadron_Fairey_Battle_I by John Dixon, on Flickr

Image20210908 (10)_633_Squadron_Fairey_Battle_I by John Dixon, on Flickr

Wbirdnut

Re: 633 Squadron Fairey Battle I

Post by Wbirdnut »

Great job, love the damage and the crew inspecting it.

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

I like that and having built the TT version, once upon a time, in galaxy, far far away, can vouch that it fought back, most of the way!
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Thank you both very much!

The aircrew are a mixture of ICM 1940 RAF and CMK WWII Bomber Command Set 1. Chipping was with salt again - perhaps a bit overdone but I've seen some very worn Battles in pictures.

For the number crunchers K9492 was from a cancelled contract for Battles, so allocated but not used.