A-W Meteor NF.14 WS788 Restoration Project

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
Blue_2

Re: A-W Meteor NF.14 WS788 Restoration Project

Post by Blue_2 »

I know we really do need to come up with something. This project is as much about the people as the aircraft herself.
Meteor WS788 and Chipmunk WK640 Restoration Projects, Yorkshire Air Museum. Other types meddled with by request...

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

05/09/2021 Update
It's been a one day weekend, as I had to do domestic duties today; the mumblings of such words as "lawnmower" required quelling at home. Anyway yesterday Laurence and I were in. My first job was to see if the nose had moved any. After a week to think about it, another liberal application of penetration oil, and another couple of "wiggles" from us, there is definitely daylight to be seen
I know the pic is a little distorted, but my phone chose some odd mode to take the shot in. The important thing is, we are definitely beating the locator pin corrosion chokehold on the nose. A couple more weeks careful manipulation, and I think we'll see the extension nose off! While I was doing this for a good chunk of the morning, Laurence was finishing the paint prep on the canopy frame chassis
Seeing as it was a good painting day, I decided to prep up a few more bits. The port rear wing root fairing had again been partly paint stripped a while ago; I decided to finish the process with the sander. While doing so I found this part had just been painted over and over, giving us a lot of different layers of colours from 788's history to look at including her 1960's high speed silver coat, and beneath that her NF paint!
I also found a nice little example from her flying days of a diligent "Erk" at work; he had clearly spotted this crack in the wing root fairing forming and done the right thing, stop drilling it to stop it propagating further
While I was prepping this panel Laurence commenced priming the canopy frame chassis
After which I nicked the roller off him to do the fairing!

You could almost put that in the garden as a piece of modern art... Well... come to think of it we do have a spare starboard one... :thinking:
The canopy chassis came up nicely too, in what Laurence has officially christened "Wierd Green"
We went for a spot of late lunch, on return Laurence broke out fresh rollers and started returning the canopy chassis to "less wierd black"...
There was enough primer in the roller tray to do a couple more little panels so I decided to prep and paint the leading edge sections of the wing join fairing strips. First I had to finish yet another job started years ago, before we moved inside in fact, replacing the last of the 4 catches which hold them on with a brand new item which has been rattling around our red tool chest for far too long now! That done, I cracked on with the prep, finding part numbers galore once more
I then used the last of the primer in the tray on these, while Laurence finished off the canopy chassis' first coat
What he omitted to tell me was he had used the last roller from our stock! So, I popped out to our nearest DIY superstore with some petty cash and returned with new rollers. His penance for not telling me he had used the roller stock was to clean up and repaint in GSE blue my recently acquired £8 bargain step (roadside sales can be a wonderful thing!), while I silvered the leading edge sections
And the trailing edge fairing
I have to say, he did do a nice job!
Even adding "METEOR" stencilling once it was dry to dissuade anyone from "liberating" it
The canopy chassis also received a second coat
After which we de-masked the data plate. I still find that mid November 1964 build date, a year before she retired, bizarre.
It is a bit glossier than it would have been in service; we'll see how it cures and settles.
To be fair I'm not fussed if it does dry glossy, it'll be easier to clean! That covers it for this weekend; more next time folks.
Meteor WS788 and Chipmunk WK640 Restoration Projects, Yorkshire Air Museum. Other types meddled with by request...

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

That canopy rail has certainly come up nicely, do I remember correctly that you’re having a new blown canopy made?

As for ‘Weird Green’, I’d have said that it was Humbrol RAF Grey/Green Interior No.78, myself!
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

I’ve a few ‘persuaders’ of various sizes that’ll sort that nose out if you want to borrow them 🤣
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Spartabus

Post by Spartabus »

Domvickery wrote:
Sun 05 Sep 2021, 10:27 pm
I’ve a few ‘persuaders’ of various sizes that’ll sort that nose out if you want to borrow them 🤣
I recommend the use of a gas spanner. It cant be stuck if you make it all runny.

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Tony, yes, we are having new transparencies made for the old girl.
78 probably isn't far off!

We have a selection of suitable persuading sticks. The trick is persuading the nose off without causing harm...

Harm which would almost certainly include making it all runny!!

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Blue_2 wrote:
Mon 06 Sep 2021, 6:59 pm
Tony, yes, we are having new transparencies made for the old girl.
78 probably isn't far off!

We have a selection of suitable persuading sticks. The trick is persuading the nose off without causing harm...

Harm which would almost certainly include making it all runny!!
You need my personal favourite; an angly sparky persuader then!

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

I have a one of them; that won't be getting used either!!

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

A couple of us will be back in on 788 today, if I can manage to get my backside in gear that means there'll be an update for you later! In the meantime, I shall serve you a small aperitif in the form of an eBay win, a negative taken of 788 in her very earliest days at YAM, so early in fact...
...as you can see from the jacks and trestles they are still actually assembling her! This is just an edit of the pic on the eBay listing; once I have run the negative through my magic scanning box I'll post up the results.
Hopefully we have a good day, and have much progress to share later...

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

:grin:
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

...no pressure then! :joy:

14/09/2021 Update
It's been a bitty sort of day today. Laurence was in for a couple of hours early on, so I set him on with the next bit of the canopy chassis needing preparing for paint while I attended to some other business, a very welcome visitor. Many of you who are involved in the aircraft preservation world will know of Mike Davey. He is one of the true gents in this game, when we started the 788 project he invited us to sort out a transit van, visit his farm and fill the van with as much Meteor as the poor van could carry; all I can say is it's a good thing the van was at the time brand new! He has continued to support us, punting components, info and contacts our way on a regular basis, and for the first time in far too long it was a pleasure to welcome him to the Naughty Corner!
Needless to say, while poor Laurence was working away on the canopy chassis prep we were wandering the hangar and 788, talking aircraft, parts, banter, trades, and generally enjoying ourselves! I did persuade him (not that any persuasion was necessary after I mentioned the words "food" and "pub") to come spend a weekend with us soon, dismantling, inspecting and reassembling the Derwent we have on site, so I think it's safe to say you've not seen the last of him on this page!
Laurence did make a great amount of progress on the canopy section before he left, digging out some particularly nasty corrosion and leaving us with nice shiny metal
He really is getting the hang of this aeroplaning malarkey... Once Mike had gone to carry on enjoying his holiday in God's County, I got on with the job I had intended for the day, prepping the lower port intake ring. These, as is the case with a surprising percentage of 788's airframe, are made of steel. Years of blocked drain holes in the bottom of the intakes had led to the lower sections of the intake rings being more or less permanently submerged in trapped water (readers who have been with us a while might remember the inundation we got out of each intake when we finally got them off the aircraft) and consequently, rust had set in. Adam is getting towards the point where he will soon be looking to permanently refit the new port lower nacelle, so the steel ring its front edge attaches to needed to be ready. Rust is an old and familiar enemy to me from my misspent youth restoring classic cars, so to combat it I reached for some equally old and familiar allies, in this case wire brush on the drill and Jenolite rust converter. I shifted as much loose rust off as I could, then set to applying the Jenolite
Having applied it, you wait for it to turn a blue/purple hue...
...which signifies the chemical soup has done its magic and halted the corrosion process
This takes half an hour or so, and if it hasn't turned colour you simply reapply. In our case it did the job first time
The treated area as seen from the point of view of a Derwent!
From which position one is also afforded an unusual view of our mucky but otherwise excellent condition port main leg...
Still waiting for the jenolite to dry, I popped the 2 large nose panels back on the jet for now.
Partly to get them out of harm's way, and partly to free off the thumb latches which had inevitably been gummed shut by the primer and paint!
An overview of the canopy chassis work. Laurence and Kane have done, and continue to do, top work on these structures
Finally, just before close of play I got the intake ring in primer...
This is as good as it's going to get. The rot has (hopefully) been stopped dead in its tracks.
Yes it's not the perfect smooth surfaces it would have been from the factory, but it was only surface corrosion and pitting and there is still waaay more than enough strength in these structures for our purposes and to maintain the jet's structural integrity for many decades. The outer face does still need doing but there is no rush...
...as the priority was readying this inside area of the piece for Adam to nail the new metal to!
Job done!
Overall, a very enjoyable, sociable, and productive day had. Metalwork got done (eventually in my case), components exchanged, haggled, organised and downright shamelessly begged, banter had... not bad for a soggy wet Tuesday!
More next time folks.

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

Another great update there Graham - and when I say "long may it continue" - I mean that in the sense of continual updates like this; not to drag this project out so long that I'm not around when she fires into life and taxies around Elvington ok...lol?
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Indeed Pete, I'd like to see the jet seen off before I get old(er) and grey(er)...!

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

20/09/2021 Update
Apologies to those who have missed their Sunday evening crumpets/Antiques Roadshow/Meteor update ritual this weekend, but I was a tad busy yesterday to write up our activities from Saturday. Still, better late than never...!
On Thursday our Adam and some of the Nimrod guys were in trying to get the Lightning's nose leg reinflated and the cockpit open for a special visitor. As the Keeper of the Lightning Book (BAe Warton Saudi servicing school notes) I was usefully at the other side of Yorkshire that day, so our little phones were running hot as I sent info across to them. The guys of course prevailed, and it was great to see the jet sitting correctly as I walked across to the hangar on Saturday morning!
Teamwork!
To the jet, and my first port of call was to visit Tuesday's work
Very pleased with that, the chemicals have done their stuff! Then it was on to the day's tasks. Kane was in, so we decided to do some good old fashioned "big spanners and hammers" engineering, dismantling the replacement nose leg for refurbishment so it's ready to just drop straight on 788 when the time comes. This is a spare leg we sourced off Mike Davey some time ago, and we figure restoring it as a quick change unit is the way ahead. 788's can then be restored in our own time, a damper sourced, and then kept as a spare for either of our Meteors.
This is what the Good Book (AKA the Book of Deceit) has to say about dismantling the nose leg...
So, to the big spanners. No, wait, let's do this properly... First I removed all the grease nipples and laced everything, including the holes the grease nipples had been in, with WD40, then retreated to do some other stuff while the WD did its thing. I figured it would aid us twofold, firstly getting into long dry and potentially rusted up surfaces, and secondly softening up what I assumed would be long dried out grease left in there from whenever the leg was last serviced.
Right, NOW to the big spanners? Nope, normal size sockets first as the locking rings have to be unbolted and removed. These all came off OK, and like all the steel components off this leg will go through the blasting cabinet to shift the surface rust before being primed and painted.
OK, big spanners time... and the top link for the damper came off remarkably easily
The chrome of the pin is in great condition. You can see the locking rings need some love though
The nice thing being, unlike British automotive steel of this vintage, the rust is only surface deep! Next we needed the REALLY big ring spanner for the main pivot.
Yes, that is a proper spanner. The lower fork on these can be a weak spot, as the pivot pin seizes. The fork then splits longitudinally, along the line of the 2 grease points you can see as they form a natural break line. Fortunately, ours hasn't got this issue, and is sound. It took some shifting, at one point both Kane and Laurence were pinning the leg down while I was swinging the spanner and lifting the nose leg and both of them (!), but the nut eventually yielded. After that we spun the pin a few times with the spanner to work the WD40 thoroughly round it, and then it was drifted out with little drama
Again the chrome on the pin, and the bronze bushes in the leg itself, were in excellent condition.
Taking a breather, I went round the other side of the jet to see what Laurence had been up to. He had got in a bit later than us and cracked straight on with carrying on the prep of the outer component of the canopy chassis. Byt he time I had got round to look he had not only finished the prep, but primed and topcoated it too!
He doesn't mess about!
We got the upper leg supported, ready for rubbing back it's rear face.
As you can see near the pivot point, there was some corrosion where some steel brackets had been fitted, but we soon had this back to good metal. After a while, between us Kane and I had the upper section of the leg painted...
and the rear face of the leg cleaned back and primed!
Next visit we can flip it over and repeat the process on the front face. The fork I took to the vice, as it just refuses to give up the damper. While it was enjoying yet more WD40, Laurence started rubbing it back too.
I'm hoping next visit the damper will finally see our way of thinking, and agree to a trial separation from the fork...

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

Big 'ammer jobs! Fun times! Great update as ever mate even if me crumpets went cold!

ATB

TT

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Big tools require a big man to wield them, are you up to the task? :grin:

The leg looks to be a very good condition, given that it has been almost permanantly exposed to the elements, hopefully the other two legs will also behave themselves, when their turn comes!

Ant.H

Post by Ant.H »

Great updates as usual, just catching up on things.

Interesting to see your success with Jenolite, used to help my dad apply that stuff to his old black FX4 taxi cab with absolutely nil effect it seemed!

Keep up the good work!

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

TT, I can only apologise for the cold crumpets. There won't be an update this week, so consider this advance notice to not keep them "just in case"!

Tony, with some of the stuff I've worked on in the past, these are comparatively small fry! The leg isn't off 788, it is of provenance unknown except the damper is a known good item.
We know 788's main legs aren't seized, they have been proven to articulate as they ought and have been greased by me, so when the time comes I have high hopes they will behave. Getting them.out of the wing will be the fun bit!

Ant, I used it previously on several MG's with varying levels of success. It all depended how advanced the tinworm had got! In this case, I'm confident that it's up to the job of stopping (admittedly advanced) surface corrosion on very high grade steel.

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Blue_2 wrote:
Thu 23 Sep 2021, 8:46 am
The leg isn't off 788, it is of provenance unknown except the damper is a known good item.
I knew that :man_facepalming_tone1:, I read it earlier in the post :man_facepalming_tone1:, note to self, read, re-read and then re-re-read before posting!

Now where's that Head banging a Wall emoji?

:flushed: :grin:

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

I'm sure we can allow you the occasional "special" moment Tony!

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

03/10/2021 Update
...cancelled as for some reason the forum is having a flap, claiming:
"It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct."
when I try to post anything involving an image. I took out each picture in turn... no joy. I tried posting another image in the Chipmunk thread... no joy. It would only let me post anything anywhere with nil pictures. This doesn't really work for my updates, so until the forum lets me post images again I'll not be able to bring you yesterday's news.
Apologies, at some point normal service will be resumed I'm sure...

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

You’ll more than likely need to resize your images, the max for the forum is 1600px across its longest side

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Why would this suddenly be an issue? Seems strange as I've done nothing different. The pictures I use I pull down off our FB page so dimensions isn't an issue, I just checked and an example one is 720x960

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

It's a weird bug between phpbb (the forum software) and some websites.

Id expect the issue is postimages.org is no longer allowing websites to query the image size.

All I can suggest is using a different image host.

The issue has existed in phpbb since 2007 at least.

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Well if that is the case it's a ballache! Posting in forums is becoming a time consuming pain in the backside...