RIAT 2023 Discuss everything thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
AARDVARK

Re: RIAT 2023 Discuss everything thread

Post by AARDVARK »

B_Tank88 wrote:
Fri 30 Jun 2023, 1:13 pm
Will the F35's actually do a display this time, or more timid flypasts and hovers as recently seen in previous Cosfords and RIATs?
A display takes months and months of planning and practice .. and resources..a regular pilot can’t just jump into his aircraft and put on a display, it doesn’t work like that..so probably a few flypasts and some hovering as such.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Professor_M wrote:
Fri 30 Jun 2023, 9:39 pm
Slovenian Army Aviation Command and Brazilian Air Force now listed as Not Participating [https://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/aircr ... dates-2023], leaving no air arms showing as Amber on the list.
No surprise i guess.. assuming there is a cut off when the show needs to know if aircraft are attending or not and relevant paper work and accommodation needs to be sorted.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Given that the “routine” seems to be the same as we’ve seen a couple of times, I guess the RAF have something approved that a pilot (I’ve heard it’s the same pilot but not sure) can do without a full PDA

it often seems to be an arrival pass straight and level, then another pass from the other direction (which was very high at Cosford) and a break away from the crowd, then some hovering, and then a climb out and away.

It’s not bad, but could be so much better if they put the afterburner on (as they did during the 2019 season). It always seems to fall a bit flat when the commentators are explaining how noisy it is, and then it arrives with a whimper.

Add in final a fast pass and zoom climb to conclude, and it’d be a perfectly fine bit of flying, in lieu of a full display routine.

But hey, people have been moaning for months about lack of an F-35 in the flying, and “just one more cherry!”, now they’ve got one at least.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Tommy wrote:
Sat 01 Jul 2023, 12:12 pm
Given that the “routine” seems to be the same as we’ve seen a couple of times, I guess the RAF have something approved that a pilot (I’ve heard it’s the same pilot but not sure) can do without a full PDA

it often seems to be an arrival pass straight and level, then another pass from the other direction (which was very high at Cosford) and a break away from the crowd, then some hovering, and then a climb out and away.

It’s not bad, but could be so much better if they put the afterburner on (as they did during the 2019 season). It always seems to fall a bit flat when the commentators are explaining how noisy it is, and then it arrives with a whimper.

Add in final a fast pass and zoom climb to conclude, and it’d be a perfectly fine bit of flying, in lieu of a full display routine.

But hey, people have been moaning for months about lack of an F-35 in the flying, and “just one more cherry!”, now they’ve got one at least.
AFAIK all the F-35 displays to date have been flown by Nick Smith, son of Brian Smith and an accomplished warbird pilot in his own right.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Cheers Mike, didn’t know that. 👍🏻

verreli

Post by verreli »

Tommy wrote:
It’s not bad, but could be so much better if they put the afterburner on
+1 :fingers_crossed:

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Tommy wrote:
I was watching Airshow dispatches about RAF Cosford and it was said that the F-35 can't do anything more than what it does now. Even doing an extra third flyby would mean it now counts as a display, requiring PDA.

JMC

Post by JMC »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Sat 01 Jul 2023, 12:52 pm
Tommy wrote:
I was watching Airshow dispatches about RAF Cosford and it was said that the F-35 can't do anything more than what it does now. Even doing an extra third flyby would mean it now counts as a display, requiring PDA.
Still doesn’t explain the lack of burner, considering they put in full beans at Yeovilton in 2019!

somerset

Post by somerset »

JMC wrote:
Sat 01 Jul 2023, 12:59 pm
bobby 1211 wrote:
Tommy wrote:
Flown by ex navy pilot and he very much upset the raf by all accounts
Still doesn’t explain the lack of burner, considering they put in full beans at Yeovilton in 2019!

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

somerset wrote:
Sat 01 Jul 2023, 10:17 pm
JMC wrote:
Sat 01 Jul 2023, 12:59 pm
bobby 1211 wrote:
Tommy wrote:
Flown by ex navy pilot and he very much upset the raf by all accounts
Hi Somerset,
You need to edit this, as you've added your comment to Bobby's post, instead of putting it after the last "/quote".

Is the pilot actually 'ex-Navy', or is he/she just a Navy pilot? - both services operate the F-35B jointly. And why are the RAF 'upset'?
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

CJS

Post by CJS »

It reads like the pilot in 2019 was from the Navy, but they're not any more. And something s/he did upset the RAF - the obvious assumption that burners were used when that hadn't been an approved part of the 'display'.

But again, and as regularly happens, it's a fairly bold post, made with no reference to the source. 🤷‍♂️
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

tache3
UKAR Supporter

Post by tache3 »

Hello All,

I've been on the waiting list for P&V tickets since April and have so far heard nothing. So, with arrivals only 10 days away, I'm beginning to get a bit anxious.

I've seen on here (and on Fighter Control) a few people saying that tickets are available on the day. However, its all been "I think..." and "should be..." etc etc which isn't very reassuring either.

Is there anyone on here who can say for definite that this is the case? I can get into Totterdown on the day (if I arrive early) but would much rather have a view of the runway if possible. What I don't want to do is be turned away from the P&V gates as no tickets are available and then have to find my way to Totterdown and find out that is full.

Anyone able to confirm for certain the 'tickets on the gate' thing?

Many thanks in advance.

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

tache3 wrote:
Sun 02 Jul 2023, 11:37 am
Hello All,

I've been on the waiting list for P&V tickets since April and have so far heard nothing. So, with arrivals only 10 days away, I'm beginning to get a bit anxious.

I've seen on here (and on Fighter Control) a few people saying that tickets are available on the day. However, its all been "I think..." and "should be..." etc etc which isn't very reassuring either.

Is there anyone on here who can say for definite that this is the case? I can get into Totterdown on the day (if I arrive early) but would much rather have a view of the runway if possible. What I don't want to do is be turned away from the P&V gates as no tickets are available and then have to find my way to Totterdown and find out that is full.

Anyone able to confirm for certain the 'tickets on the gate' thing?

Many thanks in advance.
Does this help?
RIAT Air Ops wrote:
Mon 20 Mar 2023, 7:36 am
(Limited Numbers) of tickets to enter the Park and View Enclosures will be available to purchase on the day.

Cheers,
Peter

CJS

Post by CJS »

I think the 'I think' and 'should be' responses are in light of Peter's comment above - there are definitely P&V tickets available on the gate, but you are not definitely going to get one!

That said, I've seen at least one comment (either here or on the Nutters FB page) from someone saying they've never been turned away, and I don't recall ever hearing that anyone had actually turned up and then been refused entry.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

tache3
UKAR Supporter

Post by tache3 »

Professor_M wrote:
Sun 02 Jul 2023, 11:42 am

Does this help?
RIAT Air Ops wrote:
Mon 20 Mar 2023, 7:36 am
(Limited Numbers) of tickets to enter the Park and View Enclosures will be available to purchase on the day.

Cheers,
Peter
Straight from the horses mouth! That's great, thank you.
CJS wrote:
Sun 02 Jul 2023, 12:04 pm
I think the 'I think' and 'should be' responses are in light of Peter's comment above - there are definitely P&V tickets available on the gate, but you are not definitely going to get one!
Indeed. Although at least I now know its worth making the effort. Thank you.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Re: F-35 it all depends on the speed of the pass and the turn required after the pass as to why reheat isn’t used. The F-35B is only limited to 7G it can’t turn hard/tight - especially at speed.

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

If there ever is an RAF F-35B full display (not convinced there will be btw) I imagine our impression of it will be that it's quite tame anyway, given these G limitations 🤷‍♂️

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Bodz156 wrote:
Sun 02 Jul 2023, 2:34 pm
If there ever is an RAF F-35B full display (not convinced there will be btw) I imagine our impression of it will be that it's quite tame anyway, given these G limitations 🤷‍♂️
Well it seems to be able to do square loops, that's about it.... that turning circle is rather big!

(Sorry for the OT everyone)

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Is it possible to get a taxi to departures on the Monday? Or even on arrivals day(s)? I'd like to do it next year, I know you can't get a taxi on show days though as there is no drop off point.
AirshowsNI
2024 shows - Duxford D-Day (both days) Cosford, Armed Forces Day NI, RIAT (3 days) Portrush & Duxford BoB

Rick

Post by Rick »

CJS wrote:
Sun 02 Jul 2023, 12:04 pm

That said, I've seen at least one comment (either here or on the Nutters FB page) from someone saying they've never been turned away, and I don't recall ever hearing that anyone had actually turned up and then been refused entry.
Same here never been turned way but this is the first time I've never been able to buy a Thursday P&V ticket in advance. Been trying for months.
Slackers of the World unite !
Tomorrow.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Sun 02 Jul 2023, 4:20 pm
Is it possible to get a taxi to departures on the Monday? Or even on arrivals day(s)? I'd like to do it next year, I know you can't get a taxi on show days though as there is no drop off point.
I’d imagine so Jason, there isn’t a great deal of traffic around on non show days, and no one ways or traffic restrictions.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
Sun 02 Jul 2023, 4:38 pm
jasonT1981 wrote:
Sun 02 Jul 2023, 4:20 pm
I’d imagine so Jason, there isn’t a great deal of traffic around on non show days, and no one ways or traffic restrictions.
Thanks, I may try next year. Too late for this year though.
AirshowsNI
2024 shows - Duxford D-Day (both days) Cosford, Armed Forces Day NI, RIAT (3 days) Portrush & Duxford BoB

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

boff180 wrote:
Sun 02 Jul 2023, 4:02 pm
Bodz156 wrote:
Sun 02 Jul 2023, 2:34 pm
Well it seems to be able to do square loops, that's about it.... that turning circle is rather big!

(Sorry for the OT everyone)
It’s not got the turning radius of an F16 or at least doesn’t appear to have..
When it performed a heritage flyby in Italy with other aircraft it certainly didn’t have the turning radius on the brake!

JMC

Post by JMC »

RIAT 18 showed that F35 is more than capable of turning tight

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

JMC wrote:
Sun 02 Jul 2023, 6:04 pm
RIAT 18 showed that F35 is more than capable of turning tight
We're talking B not A :-) completely different beasts in the turning stakes.