RIAT 2023 Discuss everything thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
SuffolkBlue

Re: RIAT 2023 Discuss everything thread

Post by SuffolkBlue »

It's just dawned on me that didn't select for a car pass for Sunday 😑....but hopefully I'll be ok.

I've sent the Air Tattoo support team an email to see if one can be emailed over to me anyway.....just in case.

Adam the gardener

Post by Adam the gardener »

G-CVIX wrote:
Fri 14 Jul 2023, 9:13 pm
Wissam24 wrote:
Fri 14 Jul 2023, 6:45 pm
It's getting absolutely ridiculous that FRIAT, at the prices they're now charging, is the one place on the showground where you don't get any commentary at all. There is surely no excuse for cutting it out of the enthusiast's show? It really diminishes the programme.

FRIAT is becoming less and less value...
I quite agree. I actually emailed Wendy a month or so back and she told me that they were going to be having the commentary on... So much for that.
There was commentary on in the FRIAT stand (but not in the tent). The speakers are situated under the stand to try to prevent any sabotage.

LeadFarmer

Post by LeadFarmer »

I’m currently at Goodwood Festival of Speed and tomorrow (Saturday) has been cancelled due to high winds.

AH1968

Post by AH1968 »

Anyone able to post a photo of the flying schedule for tomorrow and Sunday?

G67

Post by G67 »

Wissam24 wrote:
It's getting absolutely ridiculous that FRIAT, at the prices they're now charging, is the one place on the showground where you don't get any commentary at all. There is surely no excuse for cutting it out of the enthusiast's show? It really diminishes the programme.
Genuine question, what value do you get out of the commentary?

Adam the gardener

Post by Adam the gardener »

Lots.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Am i the only one who had a good day and is not having a fit about the weather tomorrow?

It was wet, but we got flying and it was good flying given the circumstances and im sure tomorrow will be the same.

I used my time to meet friends, meet new people, some from here in fact, and just enjoy a break away from real life.

Tomorrow's forecast looks improved on what we've had before but let's be honest the weather in this country is unpredictable and its a risk we take as spotters.

The negativity and wild speculation without any factual knowledge on this thread is unreal to the point some of it feels like trolling to get a rise.

The admin and mods are taking a well deserved break so can we try and at least be a bit positive and not be wildly speculative about things we don't know about for a few days and do them a favour?

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

G67 wrote:
Fri 14 Jul 2023, 10:58 pm
Wissam24 wrote:
History, info about the plane type, pilot, squadron, other pointless yet interesting facts and rundown about the schedule and any changes etc

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

I've been incredibly optimistic about the weather forecast for tomorrow but with FOS having just pulled the plug, I can't see RIAT's position of continuing tenable now.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Wimbledon are not selling tickets to outside courts tomorrow due to weather. Either Goodwood are playing it very safe or RIAT are taking a big risk. Very tough calls to make. I also wonder if it relates to what insurance they have?
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Bobling

Post by Bobling »

Wow! What a day!

First RIAT was last year and almost died of heatstroke, been looking forward to this one for a whole year and had such a great time. Camping at Fairford Airshow Camping just for last night.

I filled my boots yesterday afternoon watching the arrivals and the validations then festered in my tent today waiting for a break in the rain to go down and pick up my pre-paid programme then head home, I'd been following this thread till the internet dropped out at about 8.30 this morning so had no expectation of anything flying today. So just gone 11 consider me very suprised to see the Saudi Hawks wheeling out trailing smoke (Hats off to you!), got my "Kris Kris Tofferson!" together and headed up to the showground.

Found a space on Red crowd-line as it was so empty and brilliant display from the Danish F-16, low tight and beautiful with the vapour cascading off it. A slight break in the rain for the Swedish SK-60, where I got strangely emotional, was it the beautiful display, the music or the hypothermia setting in? Called it a day when the Reds cancelled as I was shivery cold, then warmed up a bit on the walk back to the tent so could pause and admire the RAF Typhoon. Amazing to see it pulling those moves in that weather, came straight overhead roaring down the runway only to disappear half way up in the now very poor visibility. Scrubbed the display immediately after, but an absolute brilliant balls to the wall effort.

Threw my stuff in the car and managed to skate out of FAS Camping just in time from the sounds of it.

Huge kudos to all the teams an volunteers who made it happen and everyone who turned up to watch. [/b]

Top tips - hiking boots or wellies, decent waterproof trousers (mine weren't), brolly.

Honourable mention to the poor school groups and their grown ups, as a consenting adult well prepared I had a great day, for some of those wee ones in just a school uniform and a plastic mac..

Hope others have as good a time tomorrow as I did today!

TL:DR - It was ace, but wear waterproof shoes (in fact waterproof everything).

J20fighter

Post by J20fighter »

Anyone could send the flying schedule for Sunday? Cheers!

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Just started my journey to Fairford :D weather looking bearable on forecasts
Last edited by bobby 1211 on Sat 15 Jul 2023, 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mortimus

Post by Mortimus »

Bobling wrote:
Sat 15 Jul 2023, 12:08 am

Top tips - hiking boots or wellies, decent waterproof trousers (mine weren't), brolly.
Doubt a brolly would be much use with the level of wind that's forecast today.

One more clothing tip, as I'm not totally sure how waterproof my walking boots are I'll also be taking a pair of trainers and spare pair of socks to leave in the car, if my boots don't hold up I can at least take them off and have dry feet for the drive home.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Some mud in blue car park but no big deal so don’t worry if you are en route

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

If your (un-)lucky enough to be attending RIAT at Fairford this Weekend just (try and) enjoy yourselves!

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Forecasts showing the wind for today will be about 20mph, rainfall down to 3.8mm.

2e1var

Post by 2e1var »

G67 wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:
Constant reminders to drink plenty of water and put on sun tan cream usually. They must have been lost yesterday.
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Pro-2006, Pro-2042, IC-7300, IC-7100, Airspy R2
Sony a58, Sony 70-300G

JMC

Post by JMC »

Having no commentary in the red zone for a while yesterday, with no internet connection & programme it was hard to establish what was going on.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

2e1var wrote:
Sat 15 Jul 2023, 6:34 am
G67 wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:
Constant reminders to drink plenty of water and put on sun tan cream usually. They must have been lost yesterday.
Which, although basic, is all perfectly helpful and useful (but yes, point taken).

In answer to the actual question, to me there are two elements; one functional, one informational.

Functionally, it really is noticeable how informative it is in terms of what’s flying, when, what’s cancelled, postponed, delayed, any changes to the flying programme, timings, everything. The same during the actual displays. Being told where to look, and when. Sure, for the most part you can follow things with your eyes, but if you grab a sandwich, chimp your camera, or talk to the guy next to you, you can easily miss something. I’ve had this problem at foreign shows where I’ve not been able to follow the native-language commentary, and it does make a difference.

Informationally - is just that. It’s genuinely interesting to hear about the aircraft displaying. Sure, for some, like the Reds, it’s so common that we might know it from memory, but plenty of stuff, especially at RIAT, has super interesting information. The commentators do a fantastic job in their preparation and research, as well as their oratory skills to talk about planes for 7 hours. That’s a hell of a thing. For them, they deserve as wide an audience as possible. For us, we deserve to hear the interesting information.

As much as we all like to think we know everything about aircraft, I genuinely don’t think that I’ve been to an airshow I’ve been to where commentary hasn’t informed me of something interesting that I didn’t know.

Are these dealbreakers? I don’t know - but the above are what I personally value about commentary.

And the thing with FRIAT that grates me a little bit, which Sam has elucidated better than I, is that it feels like the many compromising something for the few videographers (if that really is the reason - happy to be corrected).

Luckily, I’m far left of the stand, and so I can benefit from the commentary on the showground, just.

JMC

Post by JMC »

It’s also highly important incase of an emergency.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

JMC wrote:
Sat 15 Jul 2023, 6:53 am
It’s also highly important incase of an emergency.
This too, though FRIAT does have dedicated FRIAT-only speakers they can use for special announcements.

But overall, exactly that.

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Harrier listed twice, Voyager AAR flypast will be with the Finnish Hornet and Swedish Gripen, KC-135 AAR will be with the B-52