Budget airlines

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum

which budget airline do you most use and which would you not?

easyJet
35%
wouldn't fly easyJet
No votes
Ryanair
9%
wouldn't fly Ryanair
29%
Vueling
1%
wouldn't fly Vueling
1%
Wizz
4%
wouldn't fly Wizz
5%
TUI
3%
wouldn't fly TUI
No votes
Jet2
9%
wouldn't fly Jet2
3%
other
3%

Total votes: 80

Zoom

Budget airlines

Post by Zoom »

being LGW centric eJ is the go to but they have cancelled quite a few of my flights recently. I only found Wizz by accident as they happened to be flying the exact date / route I wanted to travel (in 9 months time!) but then cancelled a couple of weeks later so CBA with them.

Only used Vueling once they are CS with BA so I'm hoping the flights I have booked for 3 months time actually happen!

budget airlines is a bit of a loose description as every carrier could count...

cg_341

Re: Budget airlines

Post by cg_341 »

Does an airline get me to where I want to go? If yes:
Does it to it cheaper than another airline that also gets me there? If yes:
Does it do it at the times I want to do go? If yes:
Am I able to book with that airline? If yes:

Book with the airline.

Nothing else matters, it's a glorified bus whoever you fly with.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

you don't have to pay to take a suitcase on a bus...

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Zoom wrote:
Mon 13 Feb 2023, 5:14 pm
..as they happened to be flying the exact date / route I wanted to travel ..
I think you've kind of answered your own question there, it often happens that if you want to get to a certain place at a certain time you have to fly with one of the above and choice is limited.

Of the airlines you list there Jet2 is probably my favourite and Ryanair my least favourite, but I've flown with Ryanair more recently than Jet2.. no choice!

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
Mon 13 Feb 2023, 5:50 pm
Zoom wrote:
Mon 13 Feb 2023, 5:14 pm
..as they happened to be flying the exact date / route I wanted to travel ..
I think you've kind of answered your own question there,
as it happens I could have waited a couple of months and booked the eJ return flight (which I know is scheduled but only currently bookable as part of an eJ holiday) but Wizz came up with an even cheaper fare. But now cancelled so back to eJ

For me a big factor is free baggage. I'm not about to pay double the fare to take a suitcase and have used the cabin bag option since all the carriers brought in the option to take that for free. But now you have to pay for that too so it's the silly small rucksack to stuff under the seat! (I can still just manage this for 1 week if I wear the cycle helmet onboard which so far have not been required to do). What next personal clothing only ???

CJS

Post by CJS »

Never had a problem with Easy Jet.
Always had a problem with Ryanair.

So an easy question for me to answer TBH!
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Outside of Covid refunds, I never had an issue with easyjet. Most inconvienience they have caused me is a 2 hour delay, and that turned out to be because of lack of airport staff airside and not the airline itself. I was in no rush to get home so didn't really bother me too much.

Their new baggage policy annoyed me, but I can now take 2 bags on with the extra legroom seats and is still cheaper than putting it in the hold.
AirshowsNI
2024 shows - Duxford D-Day (both days) Cosford, Armed Forces Day NI, RIAT (3 days) Portrush & Duxford BoB

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I've never flown on TUI or Jet2, but realistically, if they're the cheapest flight there I'll take it. Generally prefer not to fly on Ryanair but if I have to, so be it.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

Zoom wrote:
Mon 13 Feb 2023, 5:57 pm
But now you have to pay for that too so it's the silly small rucksack to stuff under the seat!
That's provided you can book them as well. I was looking at booking a cheap all inc holiday with some mates, none had an option for overhead luggage, it was either free hand luggage or hold (at £50pp). I assume they reserve the overhead allowance for people that are booking flights only, assuming package holiday folk will want hold luggage which is incredibly frustrating.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Gt5500 wrote:
Tue 14 Feb 2023, 12:46 pm
Zoom wrote:
Mon 13 Feb 2023, 5:57 pm
But now you have to pay for that too so it's the silly small rucksack to stuff under the seat!
That's provided you can book them as well. I was looking at booking a cheap all inc holiday with some mates, none had an option for overhead luggage, it was either free hand luggage or hold (at £50pp). I assume they reserve the overhead allowance for people that are booking flights only, assuming package holiday folk will want hold luggage which is incredibly frustrating.
just checked; you can book a cabin bag (as in the overhead lockers) for £33.49 each way on top of the fare, or £41.99 for 23kg hold bag.

When easyJet holidays started you got the basic fare including an overhead locker case plus accommodation, everything else including transfers was extra. Now hold bags and transfers are included it's a lot more than booking the basic flight and accommodation through booking.com (which is eJ's provider anyway)

example

1 week in Madeira end of November
flights £75 each return
accommodation £214 each
shuttle bus from airport £7.50 each return direct to hotel
£296.50pp

via easyJet holidays exactly the same flight / accommodation includes luggage and transfers
£458 pp

I use this bag; can get what I need for a week in it and pay nothing (not the orange one!) if you fill it up it doesn't actually fit in the gauge at the gate but if you walk through with it on your back they never even notice it. It does go under the seat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabin-Max-Trav ... 8361&psc=1

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

I wasn't looking at booking through EasyJet, we were looking at all different package holiday sites. As we were looking at very cheap holidays most included a free bag only but didn't give an option for an overhead bag, the only option was hold. I suspect the overhead lockers are reserved for flight only tickets or airline package sites as you saw with easyJet.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Like for like (same dates, same destination, including the added £ for bags with Ryanair. The only diffetence is the BA flights are a civilised time of day from LHR rather than stupid o'clock from Stansted!) the flights I'm planning to take in the summer are £35 more in total for 3 of us to use BA instead of Ryanair, so they're not even a budget airline (necessarily) anyway.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

CJS wrote:
Wed 15 Feb 2023, 3:24 pm
Like for like (same dates, same destination, including the added £ for bags with Ryanair. The only diffetence is the BA flights are a civilised time of day from LHR rather than stupid o'clock from Stansted!) the flights I'm planning to take in the summer are £35 more in total for 3 of us to use BA instead of Ryanair, so they're not even a budget airline (necessarily) anyway.
in 2009 I needed to get to the middle of nowhere in Sweden with a bicycle. Ryanair could get me 70km nearer with their "Stockholm" airport and also for FREE!

when I did the sums (free wasn't you had to pay various other charges on top, then pay for the bike, then get to Stansted) it was about £60 cheaper to fly BA from LHR. And that also included a choice of seat and free food / wine onboard.

Ryanair is only worth it these days if they happen to fly from / to the exact places you want to be and don't have any other means of transport. Or have no other option which I did a few years ago, ferry to Spain cancelled £8 to fly from Southend (plus £12 for a bag!)

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Zoom wrote:
Wed 15 Feb 2023, 6:45 pm
it was about £60 cheaper to fly BA from LHR. And that also included a choice of seat and free food / wine onboard.
As it was over a decade ago, you probably don't know that BA no longer offer free choice of seat or food on their European operations any more.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

cg_341 wrote:
Wed 15 Feb 2023, 6:54 pm
Zoom wrote:
Wed 15 Feb 2023, 6:45 pm
it was about £60 cheaper to fly BA from LHR. And that also included a choice of seat and free food / wine onboard.
As it was over a decade ago, you probably don't know that BA no longer offer free choice of seat or food on their European operations any more.
yes I know, nor free bicycles (which counted the same as a suitcase at the time)

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

We were forced by cost to fly Ryanair last week. I could not fault the flight or the cabin crew but was left with a sour taste over the booking process. Having bought specific easyJet friendly underseat bags a couple of years ago we found they were too big for RA so had to pay for a large cabin bag (with the knock on effect of having to pay for it on the connecting eJ flight)

Got to the online check in to be told that if we didn't pay €8 each for a seat we would be split up. I could not believe they would be so petty so ignored the ransom and indeed we were sent to opposite ends of the plane! (eJ never does this you usually get A/B or E/F at no extra cost) So stumped up the money for reserved seats on the way back.

In the end the outward eJ LGW flight was Cancelled * with 10 hours notice so we missed the RA and had to book TAP at ££££ as nothing else was available. Waiting for the insurance to pay out.....

* thunderstorms in Milan so apparently not covered by compensation even though we ended up 7 hours late

CJS

Post by CJS »

Another point. I've just finished (ie won) a very polite argument on a FB page about the weight limits for BA hand luggage. Having been told that "definitely" and "I fly with BA a lot and I'm telling you you're wrong" when I said it seems their hand luggage limit is 23kg - the definite experts were adamant it was 8kg - I checked with BA who confirmed that it is indeed 23kg.

Which means we can go away for a month hand luggage only no worries.

Don't get that with Ryanair or Queasyjet!

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

CJS wrote:
Thu 20 Jul 2023, 7:00 pm
Another point. I've just finished (ie won) a very polite argument on a FB page about the weight limits for BA hand luggage. Having been told that "definitely" and "I fly with BA a lot and I'm telling you you're wrong" when I said it seems their hand luggage limit is 23kg - the definite experts were adamant it was 8kg - I checked with BA who confirmed that it is indeed 23kg.

if you can get a 23kg bag into an overhead locker I tip my hat!

CJS

Post by CJS »

Zoom wrote:
Thu 20 Jul 2023, 10:17 pm
CJS wrote:
Thu 20 Jul 2023, 7:00 pm

if you can get a 23kg bag into an overhead locker I tip my hat!
Well yeah fair point they did also say you had to be able to get it in on your own! But in theory at least...

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

a bag within the max dimensions of cabin bags (about 55x40x30cm) would need to be filled with car batteries to weigh 23kg and would certainly cause an injury if it fell out!

I don't think they enforce any specific weight limits as these days many passengers walk straight into security and straight through the gate without ever encountering a means to weigh bags.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Zoom wrote:
Fri 21 Jul 2023, 2:04 pm
a bag within the max dimensions of cabin bags (about 55x40x30cm) would need to be filled with car batteries to weigh 23kg and would certainly cause an injury if it fell out!

I don't think they enforce any specific weight limits as these days many passengers walk straight into security and straight through the gate without ever encountering a means to weigh bags.
Oh I'm sure you're right. But it was still interesting that there were several on fb who were adamant BA enforced an 8kg limit. Very satisfying to prove them wrong 🤣

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

it does raise an interesting question though;

I understand the overall weight and also distribution of an airliner pax and luggage is very important but if they are pushing pax not to check in luggage via their charges (and thus weigh it) how do they know the weight? do they just assume all the cabin bags weigh x kg in total?

Post by 5944 »

Zoom wrote:
Fri 21 Jul 2023, 5:41 pm
it does raise an interesting question though;

I understand the overall weight and also distribution of an airliner pax and luggage is very important but if they are pushing pax not to check in luggage via their charges (and thus weigh it) how do they know the weight? do they just assume all the cabin bags weigh x kg in total?
Yes, I believe so. I knew a pilot for easyJet a few years ago, and I think he said they work out at something like 80kg per passenger (as pretty much everyone has a small bag with them) and 9kg per small suitcase.

JJC

Post by JJC »

Ryanair are fine. You get what you pay for, but they usually get you there at significantly less cost than other operators.

Never understood the hate they get, the only significant delay they’ve ever caused me (flying with them 2-3 times per year) was due to a cracked windscreen on arrival into Krakow. Spare jet on the deck to take us home within 4 hours.

Had a few times when the aircraft has arrived at the time it’s meant to be departing, but it’s never significantly altered my travel experience / delayed by any significant amount.

As above, they’re all a glorified bus service.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Never had a problem with the actual Ryanair flights I've taken the service was 100%
It's the way they compartmentalise the whole booking / check in experience where absolutely everything costs extra and you end up paying almost as much as or more than the alternatives (unless you happen to live near Stansted) other airlines are better at this.

eg Vueling it's all extra on top of the basic fare but they do at least show you what seat you will get for free before you pay for a better one (I like a window seat nothing else to do on the flight but look out of the window!)