Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT 2024 wishlist.

Post by Tommy »

Wes_Howes wrote:
Mon 24 Jul 2023, 10:26 am
Tommy wrote:
Mon 24 Jul 2023, 9:54 am
If you’re on holiday in Japan and go to an airshow, would you really turn your nose up at a Mitsubishi F-2 demo at Fairford because you’ve seen it before?
Sore point that Tom, given the weather at Iwakuni :cry:
🫣

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Agree with some of the replies, but there's a bit of stuff that does seem the same every year (which I understand why), but if other big summer festivals do it year on year people would call them out for it (like booking the same acts over and over again) - regardless being a military show and therefore we are limited in what we can request argument - RIAT is no different.

The Greek Phantoms have attended a few times on static now and we are grateful for that, of course. But there's been no opportunity to see one fly? Normal people understand that's not how things work and most people do not care the reasons behind it. I'm not demanding it, it's just the reality of the situation sadly. Anyway, they were just one example and not necessarily the crux of the opinion.

But yes, hopefully better themes going forward with an eye on generating something less predictable.

JJC

Post by JJC »

Flare Path wrote:
Mon 24 Jul 2023, 11:36 am
Agree with some of the replies, but there's a bit of stuff that does seem the same every year (which I understand why), but if other big summer festivals do it year on year people would call them out for it (like booking the same acts over and over again) - regardless being a military show and therefore we are limited in what we can request argument - RIAT is no different.

The Greek Phantoms have attended a few times on static now and we are grateful for that, of course. But there's been no opportunity to see one fly? Normal people understand that's not how things work and most people do not care the reasons behind it. I'm not demanding it, it's just the reality of the situation sadly. Anyway, they were just one example and not necessarily the crux of the opinion.

But yes, hopefully better themes going forward with an eye on generating something less predictable.
But comparing Glastonbury to RIAT is comparing apples and oranges.

The music scene is constantly changing and evolving, nevermind infinitely more vast than the pool of military aircraft displays. New acts are 10 a penny, and up and coming all the time; what’s in the charts now won’t be this time next year, or possibly even next week.

Military operators tend to utilise a type for 20 + years, and there are a finite amount of countries (especially ones that are geographically / politically likely to attend) - there just isn’t the same turnover.

What themes would you propose, and what would you hope to attract?

JJC
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

I think the themes for the last 2 events have been pretty well chosen, & as a result fairly well attended. I wish we'd had a few more tankers in the static this year (CONUS based ones maybe) but the Italian anniversary was spectacularly well attended, by the Air Force certainly...and particularly nice to see the Navy & Army pitching in too. The training theme last year brought lots of interesting aircraft over, & I hope the themes continue to be chosen & supported so well.

tache3
UKAR Supporter

Post by tache3 »

I'd dearly love to see a MiG-29 in the air. Would the most realistic (but still remote) chance be from India? Or is Poland still an option?

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Still hoping for a return of the Bulgarian air force. MiG-29s and Su-25s are a possibility I guess!

tache3
UKAR Supporter

Post by tache3 »

MiG_Eater wrote:
Tue 25 Jul 2023, 3:51 pm
Still hoping for a return of the Bulgarian air force. MiG-29s and Su-25s are a possibility I guess!
Last I read, the Bulgarians were struggling to maintain them. With the first of their F-16 order not due until 2025, I can't realistically see one of the (very) few serviceable Mig-29s nipping off for a jolly in the Cotswolds for a few days.

ThatDutchDude

Post by ThatDutchDude »

JMC wrote:
Tue 18 Jul 2023, 11:27 pm
Discuss..

I'll start.

Flying:

• B-1B
• Return of Air Combat Command F22/A-10
• Couteau Delta
• If Flying Legends is on a different date, closure of the show with The Balbo of warbirds (I'd love to see a bit more warbird action at RIAT).
• Swedish Historic Flight
• JF-17 Thunder
• Patrouille De France
• Polish T-50
• US Navy F-35C
• French Navy E-2 Hawkeye
• Turkish Stars & Patrouille Suisse
• Saudi F-15

Static:

• C-5 Galaxy
• Indonesian Hercules (there where quite a few Indonesian officials there this year)
• 16 F-16's in a row to mark the 40th anniversary (2x Danish F-16, 2x Belgian F-16, 2x Turkish, 2x Romanian, 2x Portuguese, 2x USAF, 2x Hellenic, 2x Polish, 2x Jordan)
• Jordanian Mi-26
• Japanese E-767
• Indian Air Force Beriev A-50
• Hellenic Buckeye
• Egyptian DHC-5 Buffalo
• Portugese Merlin
• USAF Joint Star E8
• Marine Corps CH-53K
• Latvian An-2

& sunny/fluffy white cloud weather, no wind.

If anything near this happens, I think i'd go back on my word of skipping a year. It's quite delusional but hey ho it's a wishlist!
Dutch should be there with 2 F-16s for the final time, in special liveries according to a crewmember this year. It should be a week or 2 before their actual retirement

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

I'm just wondering if the F16 50th anniversary is going to be the smaller 'anniversary' theme that we have seen in recent years and we still have an unannounced main operational theme to come.
AirshowsNI
2024 shows - Duxford D-Day (both days) Cosford, Armed Forces Day NI, RIAT (3 days) Portrush & Duxford BoB

Berf

Post by Berf »

One of the rarity's that made the IATs of the 1970s - of course the types will be different but USN or USMC carrier aircraft.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

My wish list could go on forever to be fair, so many different aircraft i've probably seen at shows as a youngster but never got photos of (or not enough of certain types). Here goes:

Flying Displays

A10 Demo Team
F22 Demo Team
Turkish Stars
Spanish Harriers (yes they've become a bit more regular but who doesn't love them?)
Polish MiG 29

Static

C5
Nasa Guppy
Airbus Belgua
Nato E3
Greek Buckeye
Indian Jaguars, HAL Tejas & SU30s
French or US Navy Hawkeyes
US Navy C2s

Probably lots more too but if i were to get one or 2 of them items then i'd be chuffed to bits.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

tache3 wrote:
Tue 25 Jul 2023, 3:54 pm
MiG_Eater wrote:
Tue 25 Jul 2023, 3:51 pm
Last I read, the Bulgarians were struggling to maintain them. With the first of their F-16 order not due until 2025, I can't realistically see one of the (very) few serviceable Mig-29s nipping off for a jolly in the Cotswolds for a few days.
They don't even turn up at Bulgarian shows these days, they're never coming here. Very much one of those "if you want to see them, you need to go to Bulgaria" type things, and even then, I think the Graf Ignatievo open day is the only real shot you'd have.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Mortimus

Post by Mortimus »

Croatian MiG-21

Following the retirement of the Romanian LanceRs a few month ago, Croatia are now the sole European Mig-21 operator. With them due for imminent replacement by Rafales, 2024 is probably the last chance we'll have to see them at RIAT.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

With the news Poland is acquiring two former UAEAF Saab 340 AEW&C aircraft, please could we have one at Fairford next year?

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

The Mig23 currently putting on a fine display at Oshkosh
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

JMC

Post by JMC »

Shove it in the back of a C-17 bobs your uncle 😎 (I know there's more to it than that, anyway I don't think it'd be allowed to perform over here?)

JMC

Post by JMC »

It’d be really nice to see a section of the static park commemorating the 80th anniversary of D-Day. Mass C-47’s, P-51’s, Spitfires, Sally B, and The Lancaster parked so that she can partake in the static and flying display. So I guess this display would be in the green loop?

verreli

Post by verreli »

JMC wrote:
Fri 28 Jul 2023, 12:54 pm
It’d be really nice to see a section of the static park commemorating the 80th anniversary of D-Day. Mass C-47’s, P-51’s, Spitfires, Sally B, and The Lancaster parked so that she can partake in the static and flying display. So I guess this display would be in the green loop?
Isn't that just 'Legends' which is typically held on the same weekend as RIAT? I quite liked the more unique jets being in the green loop. I got much better static photo's there than in other zones.

JMC

Post by JMC »

It is indeed 'legends' but they're still military of days gone by so should be brought attention to at RIAT. Here's hoping Legends isn't on the same weekend next year. Some years it has taken place the week before.

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

1998 saw the 50th anniversary of the Berlin Airlift and RIAT put on a bit of a set-piece about that. So no reason why next year's D-Day anniversary couldn't be a theme. How many of the Daks planning to come over again next summer (like 2019) will still be around come RIAT weekend is anyone's guess.

Given Boff's clue, I suspect an F-16 hurrah, and NATO to be key themes.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

JMC wrote:
Fri 28 Jul 2023, 12:54 pm
I’m not entirely sure that this is really RIAT’s bag. Sure, they could make it work, but it’ll be six weeks after the actual D-Day anniversary, and there will be plenty of full-on celebrations and decent sized shows/events for that at the time.

Plus all those civilian aircraft will cost money to attend. Would you rather see the civilian budget spent on items you’re likely to be able to see at Shuttleworth or Duxford anyway, or something rarer, such as the Swedish Historics or Italian classic jets on static (had they actually managed to attend).

Insofar as static placement, I’d hate for the western end to be devoted to the very lovely but very familiar U.K. warbirds and then for exotic fast jets, perhaps on the cusp of retirement, to sit in the funfair/corporate zone. Plus, it’s kind of at odds with the vintage village at the eastern end. If you’re going to plonk historic aircraft anywhere, it’s down that end.

A nice flypast with, perhaps, a civilian/BBMF C-47/DC-3, US C-130 and RAF A400M could work, but again, that’s probably about as much as it ought to be.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

On themes as a whole, as I’ve written in the UKAR review due out soon, the thing with themes is that they should be a golden thread running through a show. Not too overbearing and in your face, but not too vague either. The problem with too many thematic elements is that they can start clashing a bit, and it feels messy.

Best to commit to one or two solid themes (perhaps a smaller third “nod” to something), and leave it at that.

For me, F-16 birthday, NATO’s birthday, and a slightly smaller nod to the Red Arrows birthday are decent.

(I’m wary of single-type themes. There’s always a danger than it’s not properly pulled off and you just get the same number of [type] as you always do, and then it feels a bit limp - but if there’s one theme you could really do it for, it’s either the F-16, or perhaps the C-130, I think).

Jonthejanner

Post by Jonthejanner »

Here goes then,
F-22 US, (F)
F-35A Anywhere (F&S)
F-35B RAF (F&S)
F-35C US (F)
B-1 US (F&S)
B-2 US (FP)
B-52 (F&S)
A-10 US (F)
J-22 Serbia (F)
JL-9 Mountain eagle Anywhere (F)
JF-17 Pakistan (F)
J-10 Pakistan (F) Believe they have them now.
Hal Tejas India (F)
Nanchang Q-5 Mayanmar Or Sudan (F)
Su-27 Anywhere (F)
Mig-29 Anywhere (F)
IL-76 / IL-78 Anywhere (S)
C-5 US (S)
Pat Suisse
Pat France
Frecce Tricolori
Blue Impalse
Turkish Stars
Blue Angels
Hornet Finland, Spain, Swiss (F)
Super Hornet US Navy
Chinook RAF (F)
Puma RAF (S)
Soloturk
Swedish historical flight (F Or S)
E-2 Hawkeye US Navy Or French Navy (S)
C-2 US Navy (S)
E-3 NATO (F Or S)
C-17 US, RAF, Qatar, Canada,NATO (S)
KC-46 Pegasus US (S)
KC-10 US, Omega (S)
KC-135 US (S)
Skyhawk (S)
Su-30 Anywhere (F)
Su-24 Anywhere (F)
Su-25 Anywhere (F)
Mig-31 Kazakhstan (F)
Mi-26 Jordan (F Or S)
F-16 Belgium (F)
F-16 Denmark (F)
Jordanian Falcons
Mirage 2000 France (F)
Mirage 3 Pakistan (F)
Mirage 5 Pakistan (F
Mirage F-1 Morocco (F)
Rafale M French Navy (F & S)
Rafale C French Air Force (F & S)
Wedgetail Australia (S)
F-15 Anywhere (F & S)
Growler US Navy (S)
Phantom (Greece F Or S)
Meteor (F Or S)
Vampire (F)
F-104
Rows of C-130’s
Rows of F-16’s
Dauphin French Navy (S)
ATL 2 French Navy (S)
P-3 Orion German Navy (S)
Super Stallion US Navy (S)
Wessex, Sea King, Historic Helicopters (S)
NH-90 Anywhere (F&S)
E-6 US Navy (S)
Tornado Germany, Italy, Saudi (F & S)
Mig-23/27 Anywhere (F)
Mig-21 Anywhere (F)
Harrier Spanish Navy (F & S)
Apache Anywhere (F & S)
DH Mosquito (F)
Dakota (F & S)
BBMF
Gripen Finland, Sweden, Czec (F)
Gripen E (F & S)
Hind Hungary (F&S)
And No Rain Or anything to disrupt the flying.
Gladly take anything from above.

Jonthejanner

Post by Jonthejanner »

Sorry mistake put Finland down for Gripen when should’ve been Hungary.

Riat_guy

Post by Riat_guy »

Now that is what I call a wishlist! I respect the effort and time.