Festival of Flight - 29th & 30th June 2024

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Professor_M

Festival of Flight - 29th & 30th June 2024

Post by Professor_M »

The Hawker Tempest has been announced on the collection's Facebook page for the Festival of Flight on 29th & 30th June...
Air show announcement!
We are thrilled to confirm the first visiting aircraft for our Festival of Flight weekend in June next year.
The world’s only flying Hawker Tempest II will roar through the skies at Shuttleworth on Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th June – a truly unique sight you do not want to miss!
Owned by Fighter Aviation Engineering Ltd, MW763 makes its debut at Shuttleworth following an extensive restoration.
To book your tickets for Festival of Flight, visit: www.shuttleworth.org/fof24/
https://www.shuttleworth.org/product/fof24/

Interesting that they're waiting for their third show of the season for this appearance - do Duxford get "first dibs" on its first show appearance (I can only assume that it will have appeared at one of the two Duxford events before this show at Shuttleworth)?

lynothehammer

Re: Festival of Flight - 29th & 30th June 2024

Post by lynothehammer »

Looking forward to seeing the Tempest at Shuttleworth, sees such a long time away though... :(

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

Professor_M wrote:
Fri 01 Dec 2023, 4:55 pm
Interesting that they're waiting for their third show of the season for this appearance - do Duxford get "first dibs" on its first show appearance (I can only assume that it will have appeared at one of the two Duxford events before this show at Shuttleworth)?
Have Duxford confirmed it will be at two shows before Shuttleworth?

Post by 5944 »

Gt5500 wrote:
Wed 06 Dec 2023, 2:12 pm
Professor_M wrote:
I think Professor_ M meant Shuttleworth have booked it for their third show of the season, not that it'll be the aircraft's third airshow appearance.

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

5944 wrote:
Wed 06 Dec 2023, 2:45 pm
Gt5500 wrote:
Wed 06 Dec 2023, 2:12 pm
Professor_M wrote:
I think Professor_ M meant Shuttleworth have booked it for their third show of the season, not that it'll be the aircraft's third airshow appearance.
Exactly - for such a star item that's arriving onto the scene, waiting until the end of June seems like a long wait.

Maybe being a two-day airshow, Shuttleworth know this will help them sell the significantly larger number of tickets they need to sell for the weekend, maybe it won't be ready before then for displays, or maybe, as I suggested, Duxford want it first as provider of its hangarage (not that Duxford have announced it for any of their shows, and this is more than likely just a wild hypothesis of mine).

Regardless, the Tempest is a great addition to warbird scene that seems to be going from strength to strength in the UK, and it'll be great to see at Old Warden - we just have to be patient!

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Professor_M wrote:
The Hawker Tempest has been announced on the collection's Facebook page for the Festival of Flight on 29th & 30th June...
Air show announcement!
We are thrilled to confirm the first visiting aircraft for our Festival of Flight weekend in June next year.
The world’s only flying Hawker Tempest II will roar through the skies at Shuttleworth on Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th June – a truly unique sight you do not want to miss!
Owned by Fighter Aviation Engineering Ltd, MW763 makes its debut at Shuttleworth following an extensive restoration.
To book your tickets for Festival of Flight, visit: www.shuttleworth.org/fof24/

I don't see why that would be the case. The first display the aircraft was due to appear at (subsequently didn't of course) was Eastbourne.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

That post says nothing about debut display, just debut at Shuttleworth. So perhaps this was the first show they wanted it at.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

16:03 on a Friday seems to be becoming to Shuttleworth what 12noon on a Thursday is to RIAT...
Air Show Announcement!
We are happy to announce the return of the ever-popular PBY-5A Catalina at our Festival of Flight on both Saturday 29th & Sunday 30th June.
Operated by Plane Sailing, G-PBYA was built by Canadian-Vickers for the Royal Canadian Air Force and was taken on charge in October 1943. In later life, the aircraft became a firefighting water bomber before being purchased by Plane Sailing and brought to the UK in 2004.
To book your tickets for our Festival of Flight weekend or to find out more information, head to www.shuttleworth.org/fof24/
Images by John Dibbs and Darren Harbar Photography
[From Shuttleworth's Facebook]

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

I hope when this 'big bad boy' is displayed, we don't see him from 3000 feet above the A1.... :rolling_eyes:

Mike

Post by Mike »

Roughcutter wrote:
Mon 18 Dec 2023, 6:20 pm
I hope when this 'big bad boy' is displayed, we don't see him from 3000 feet above the A1.... :rolling_eyes:
Tell me you’ve never seen the Catalina display at Old Warden without telling me you’ve never seen the Catalina display at Old Warden

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

I'm referring to the Tempest, I hope we don't see a repeat of the underwhelming display that was performed last October by the Fury.

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

Roughcutter wrote:
Mon 18 Dec 2023, 6:50 pm
I'm referring to the Tempest, I hope we don't see a repeat of the underwhelming display that was performed last October by the Fury.
Yes - the Fury ISS at Race Day was a little underwhelming being just after the excellent Seafire display (although still better than the RR PRXIX Spitfire at the first two evening shows of the year, in my eyes) - hopefully they can have something sorted to get the Tempest a bit closer (though the commentators were saying that distance was set by the speed of the aircraft).

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

The weekend will now feature a bonus Flying Evening on the Friday...

Evening Flying Display

A short evening flying display will be taking place between 20:00 and 21:30

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

:rolling_eyes: ...
Festival of Flight 2024: Private Pods

We are delighted announce the addition of private Pods for this year’s Festival of Flight event.

A Pod is the perfect solution for entertaining your guests in a small private marquee whilst enjoying the Festival entertainment and air show.

Available in 3m x 3m suitable for up to 10 guests.

3x3m Pod Saturday 29th – £200.00
3x3m Pod Sunday 30th – £200.00
3x3m Pods Weekend (Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th) – £300

Please note that these prices do not include entry. Every guest must have a valid Air Show ticket.
https://www.shuttleworth.org/product/fe ... 2024-pods/

(Also offered for Proms Weekend... https://www.shuttleworth.org/product/pr ... 2024-pods/)

Orion

Post by Orion »

So where are these pods to be sited, I hope not along the fence.

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

Here we bl**dy go! :rage:

ted633

Post by ted633 »

Orion wrote:
Fri 02 Feb 2024, 7:42 pm
So where are these pods to be sited, I hope not along the fence.
Suspect will be similar to what they do for the Proms, so won't be along the fence.