Dean's 2023 in review

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
DeanW

Dean's 2023 in review

Post by DeanW »

My aviation year started in March, as I'm sure it did for many others, with several trips up to Lincolnshire for Cobra Warrior. This included the main arrivals day, which saw the Indian contingent land shortly after sundown on an already grey day, as well as a lucky day in week 1 with some unforecast sun while Waddington were on runway 02.

ZZ664 in the sun was a nice bonus, too..

It would have been rude to not make the effort to get the Saudis at Coningsby..

My first Northolt nightshoot since Oct 2018, and it was so good to be back..

It was relatively late scramble to book flights to Serbia for the open day at Batajnica as details on the event aren't widely publicised internationally. So much cool stuff on show, although I'll definitely be making an effort to return in 2024 (if the event is on?!) as I didn't really nail any of the Oraos in action, which was my number one priority.

Two rare Swedes dropped in to Farnborough in early May, the Korpen in for maintenance with the Tp100 acting as crew ferry. Had the rare situation where the clouds actually parted for the arrival of these two!

A trip to LIMA, Langkawi, was a massive tick off the bucket list. It's epic being at a show where the majority of the aircraft are rarities and you've got that excitment of not knowing what's going to turn up on the approach, like an Indonesian Navy CN-235!

Took a short flight from Langkawi to Penang in order to spend a day-and-a-bit at the RMAF Butterworth fence. A single-seat Hawk had been high on my wishlist for a long time!

Following the week in Malaysia, we headed off to Taiwan for a week of spotting where we visited Hsinchu, Pingtung, Taitung, Tainan, Taichung, Gangshan, Gueiren, Hualien and Songshan. While we saw a load of Taiwanese aircraft the shooting conditions were challenging - it was HOT, the weather was volatile and often overcast, plus spotting locations aren't particularly great, so I was somewhat underwhelmed with the images I left Taiwan with.

The Pratica di Mare show has been well documented, so I'll keep this section short. F-104 clear highlight, but plenty of other gems on show.

POTUS related movements at Stansted in mid-July in the best light of the year that I've shot in..

I did the full Wednesday-Monday at RIAT, so I was chuffed that the departure day was pretty epic with the sunshine and punchy cloudscapes..

Spent the Eastbourne show weekend chasing the RAF assets at Southend. The Lancaster opened an Old Warden event on the Saturday evening, returning to Southend in some glorious light..

I really didn't enjoy Radom this year. The woeful organisation across various elements of the show sucked a lot of pleasure from the event, despite some nice Polish bits being on show..

Back to Northolt for another enjoyable nightshoot, the AAC Apaches being my highlights..

Finishing the year with a trip to Stansted to catch a trio of Saudi government jets departing..

And that's a wrap! Happy New Year and here's to a successful 2024!

StandardTom

Re: Dean's 2023 in review

Post by StandardTom »

Lovely stuff mate!
My Photos on Flickr
My Photos on Instagram

Cheers, Tom.

sylvancatharsis

Post by sylvancatharsis »

Now that's an epic set start to finish, starting with that swell Il-78 head-on (I've always thought the Candid family were great-looking aircraft, in a brutalist, utilitarian kind of way) and...well, pretty much everything else.

That poor Malaysian Hornet really needs some TLC though...

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

sylvancatharsis wrote:
Sun 31 Dec 2023, 9:30 pm
Now that's an epic set start to finish...
That pretty-much sums up my assessment of your images!

My faves are the single-seat Hawk and that oh-so-gorgeous polished Shooting Star.
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Great set there Dean, all the best for 2024!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Belting thread all the way through, mate 👏🏻

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Great selection of shots & review of your Year. LIMA & Malaysia work best for me. :sunglasses: Taiwan can be hard work, but it looks like you found most of the good spots! :slight_smile: Radom was good for me, but it was essential to do your own thing & avoid the "piss-up in a Brewery" lack of organisation. :rolling_eyes: Probably the biggest letdown of the year for me was the Starfighter at Pratica-de-Mare. What a waste of resources for the minimal total flying time it managed? :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Thanks all and Happy New Year to you all!
Stagger2 wrote:
Mon 01 Jan 2024, 11:50 pm
Probably the biggest letdown of the year for me was the Starfighter at Pratica-de-Mare. What a waste of resources for the minimal total flying time it managed? :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
I feel you! While it was a fantastic effort getting the aircraft over to Italy, it certainly felt like a wasted opportunity without it having a solo slot. Whether it was meant to fly a solo routine I'm not sure, maybe the unservicability issues on the Saturday scuppered those plans?

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Quality work mate, amazing effort to get around as much as you do 👏👏👏
My shots on Flickr and Airliners

JMC

Post by JMC »

Captivating stuff!

Your wallet must be feeling a little sore!

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Bang average thread mate! :heart_eyes: Every shot a peach. Roll on 2024!

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

Lovely stuff Dean! Very very nice indeed
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Taiwanese selection is lovely as is the Thai F-5, but what the hell have they done to that Malaysian Hornet? What a wreck!

Great shots all through.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

st24

Post by st24 »

And that's all you've got?!... :smile: :wink:
An enviable selection of stuff there mate well shot as always. Great stuff..
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!