South West USA 2024

Aviation events in the United States and Canada
Berf

South West USA 2024

Post by Berf »

This topic is for anyone travelling to the south west USA this year. The airshows themselves are still under their topics but here you an add yours plans, any travel advice, hotel tips, other locations you are visiting (aviation related or not) , other events, possible meet ups, news etc.

I am planning on heading to Miramar for the show then on to El Centro, passing visit to Yuma and then the Pima museum before heading to the show at Reno. I am then heading across to San Francisco but will not be there for the fleet week airshow. Then it is across to Las Vegas (maybe a morning at Nellis) before heading to Los Angeles on the final section of route 66 from Amboy. Will stay at the Wigwam hotel in San Bernardino and also visit Bob's Big Boy Diner in Burbank for the Friday car cruise night (it is near Universal). BTW There is a BA sale on until end January.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: South West USA 2024

Post by boff180 »

I booked my flights last year - they're now cheaper (ggrrr).

Flying in to Phoenix a week or so before Miramar, spending a few days at Luke and the weekend in the area before heading west via Yuma and El Centro before spending the Friday and Saturday at Miramar - probably doing a tourist thing on the Sunday morning either Point Loma or San Diego Zoo, then flying home out of San Diego that evening.

Andy

bishbashbosh

Post by bishbashbosh »

We’re flying into San Francisco in August then along the coast to San Diego, with a bit of a detour through the desert to Vegas. However, as this is a family holiday with the kids it’s going to be Disneyland, Universal, Legoland etc. so I read this thread with much jealousy!! Hopefully I’ll get on the Midway in San Diego but I think that’ll be my lot 😢
2024 shows: Abingdon, Cosford, Sywell, RIAT, Zeltweg with a couple of Duxford and Shutteworth shows thrown into the mix.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Well if you are heading directly from Las Vegas to Disney you just about pass the doorstep of Planes of Fame and Yanks at Chino!

CWS

Post by CWS »

Thanks for the heads up with the BA sale. Looking at those prices to get to San Diego for Miramar and then onwards to many other things, I would be a fool not to do it! Always flirted with doing one of these trips, just have to press the button and start booking! A lot of thinking and planning ahead
Airshows 2024 - Duxford VE day, Duxford Summer Airshow, RIAT, Duxford The Americans, Miramar, Pacific Airshow

Berf

Post by Berf »

Right now the car hire is way more than the flight for me!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Berf wrote:
Fri 12 Jan 2024, 1:13 pm
Well if you are heading directly from Las Vegas to Disney you just about pass the doorstep of Planes of Fame and Yanks at Chino!
Not to mention March AFB Museum

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

I shall be up a hill for a few days, north of Bakersfield, for some 'Son of Rainbow Canyon' action.

Then maybe North island, Chino, Nellis, and back to North of Bakersfield.
Got to love Russianhardware

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Berf wrote:
Fri 12 Jan 2024, 3:20 pm
Maybe get 3 or 4 like minded individuals to go with you, and get a minivan? It's amazing how much cheaper these road trips get if 3-4 of you share costs.
Got to love Russianhardware

Berf

Post by Berf »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:
Sat 13 Jan 2024, 10:20 am
Berf wrote:
Fri 12 Jan 2024, 3:20 pm
Maybe get 3 or 4 like minded individuals to go with you, and get a minivan? It's amazing how much cheaper these road trips get if 3-4 of you share costs.
Good idea if you are doing the same sort of thing with a similar timetable but this time it won't work for me.

Berf

Post by Berf »

boff180 wrote:
Fri 12 Jan 2024, 5:18 pm
Berf wrote:
This is a great museum and I may well go back again even though I visited not long ago. Also just ten minutes further away is the California train museum.

bishbashbosh

Post by bishbashbosh »

Berf wrote:
Sat 13 Jan 2024, 7:30 pm
boff180 wrote:
Fri 12 Jan 2024, 5:18 pm
Berf wrote:
This is a great museum and I may well go back again even though I visited not long ago. Also just ten minutes further away is the California train museum.
It’s a great suggestion and I’d love to go - along with many other aviation related opportunities in the area. Persuading the wife and fam to spend their holiday time at a museum they have no interest in is the challenge! I get a week at RIAT and a European show each year so commandeering the main holiday is frowned upon. Wish me luck!
2024 shows: Abingdon, Cosford, Sywell, RIAT, Zeltweg with a couple of Duxford and Shutteworth shows thrown into the mix.

Berf

Post by Berf »

I just don't get it - Mickey Mouse is for adults who need a bit of fantasy - not kids who need reality - as soon as they can walk they should be at airshows and studying STEM stuff - who else is going to pay your fees at the old people's home? :smiley:

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

I am still debating about whether to do Miramar show with a few days around El Centro and Yuma.

My main trip this year is in March, for Red Flag 24-2 at Nellis, Yuma show, Travis show and Luke show. Various bits and pieces in between those shows around Fresno, El Centro/Imperial and Yuma.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

Berf

Post by Berf »

On a 'normal day' is my time likely to be more productive at El Centro, Yuma or Luke? Thanks in advance.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Luke will likely provide you with more movements as it is none-stop but it will usually only be based aircraft - so F-35, F-16 and the odd Mirage F-1. Flying ends at a lunchtime on a Friday.

Yuma can be hit and miss but will provide you with the most variety - especially if an exercise is on - F-5N, F-35B, Legacy Hornet, KC-130, MV-22, CH-53, AH-1Z, UH-1Y, Mi-24 plus you find this base gets used for missed approaches, I've seen E-8s and F-35As.

El Centro is pot luck if there are any aircraft even on base and unless there is a training unit deployed (often during winter) then it is as and when missions are flown. I've been there when there has been nothing, another time the following were there:- VFA-106 Super Hornets, Blue Angels, Goshawks, CF-188s, Harriers, CH-53, AH-1Y and Z, Danish Merlins and British Apache - all in the circuit at once.

If its dead its a quick drive back to Yuma. At night Imperial Airport refuels USMC assets and some great shots can be had.

Andy

Berf

Post by Berf »

Brilliant - thanks Andy

... and another for you Miramar vets. Is it hell getting out after the show? Just pondering how far I can move on after the show on Sunday...

Berf

Post by Berf »

Autoeurope car hire 'sale' ends today. Of course there will be lots more 'sales' but this one was a bit cheaper for cars a bit larger than the smallest. Free cancellation when you get a better option later - if you do.

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

I’m considering going over for the shows in the autumn, and maybe a week in the sidewinder if anyone is up for climbing some hills?

.mic
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Please define 'climb' with a bit more context :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Never been low level in the US, and would be interested to understand if it is a climb I can do.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Is the canyon in use anymore? After the Hornet crash I heard it was now closed? That was literally park up - look over the edge - take a picture.

verreli

Post by verreli »

boff180 wrote:
Thu 18 Jan 2024, 3:07 pm
Is the canyon in use anymore? After the Hornet crash I heard it was now closed? That was literally park up - look over the edge - take a picture.
No. There's a minimum overfly altitude for the jedi transition. Sidewinder is open for business though and reccomended albeit a bit hit and miss. There's also locations in the sidewinder where you don't have to get out your car to see them flying below you.

Infowar

Post by Infowar »

Car hire has been so expensive post COVID lockdown but is slowly reducing in cost. The cheapest car hire I have found recently has been through Costco travel (for members), they even give additional driver for free and only use the biggest, most reputable companies. It is well worth checking their price when booking.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Anyone interested in baseball and going to Miramar - single event tickets for 24-25-26 September Dodgers v Padres go on sale today.

Roger_Over

Post by Roger_Over »

We’re going out for my partner’s birthday in March, and she is a tolerant soul with a general interest in aviation so we’re doing a couple of shows.

Currently the plan is to check out El Centro early on the 8th, if it’s dead head over to Luke/DM if poss, do the show at Yuma the next day, head north to Carmel on a Sunday unfortunately so not much scope for low level detours, and finish the trip at the Travis show.

Hire car didn’t seem too bad, £41/day for a small SUV from Alamo, booking through Holiday Autos saved £100.

Have a great time y’all!