RIAT 2024 - discuss most things thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
jasonT1981

Re: RIAT 2024 - discuss most things thread

Post by jasonT1981 »

Annnnd its gone lol.
AirshowsNI
2024 shows - Duxford D-Day (both days) Cosford, Armed Forces Day NI, RIAT (3 days) Portrush & Duxford BoB

ThatDutchDude

Post by ThatDutchDude »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Tue 06 Feb 2024, 8:52 pm
Annnnd its gone lol.
Was about to say, lasted shortly

Starflyxxl

Post by Starflyxxl »

Seems someone likely made a mistake on their end, possibly got their Tuesdays and Thursdays muddled up and released the information 2 days earlier than anticipated.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Starflyxxl wrote:
Wed 07 Feb 2024, 12:10 am
Seems someone likely made a mistake on their end, possibly got their Tuesdays and Thursdays muddled up and released the information 2 days earlier than anticipated.
I think it was more someone updating the page ahead of Thursdays announcement and hit publish now instead of publuish Thursday at 12:00.

While the announcements go live on Thursdays, they are probably preperred a day or two ahead of time with a set publish time.
AirshowsNI
2024 shows - Duxford D-Day (both days) Cosford, Armed Forces Day NI, RIAT (3 days) Portrush & Duxford BoB

JMC

Post by JMC »

Indian Navy aye? It’s the hope that kills you!

Indian Navy Mig-29’s are up there with the la la land wish list threads that wish for Vietnamese Fitters, Russian Bears etc…

In there’s any chance at all, probability a P-8.

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

I didn't realise that the Indian Navy retired their IL-38s at the end of last year :/

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

JMC wrote:
Wed 07 Feb 2024, 11:18 am
up there with the la la land wish list threads that wish for Russian Bears etc…
Now where is the issue with something that's visited before from no less than two of their air arms.........

........no imagination some people. :rolling_eyes:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

R4118

Post by R4118 »

D-Day Squadron 2024 Legacy Tour
has RIAT on its timeline.
Would be nice to see a line-up of DC-3 from the US and Europe.

Will RIAT be doing something to remember the 80th anniversary of the D Day landings?
La Ferté-Alias
Old Warden
Tigermeet
Sywell
RIAT
Albert
Duxford
Sanicole

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

There’s some interesting stuff in that list.

Clearly a mistake, but no harm done and actually a bit of a win for RIAT, it’s getting lots of people discussing the show again in anticipation of 2024’s first Thursday update.

It does seem like these scheduled updates are really hard to do, though. This isn’t RIAT’s first “Thursday update” mistake (including the rather funny “Afghan Air Force”, what was it, Tucanos or something?). Cosford ballsed it on Friday last week too. Other shows have done the same.

They seem easy enough, but there must be a bit of white-line fever. So much internal emphasis placed on getting it all ready, and too many cooks etc. particularly in this day and age where marketing teams have to prepare jazzy little 30 second videos for social media.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

R4118 wrote:
Wed 07 Feb 2024, 2:21 pm
Will RIAT be doing something to remember the 80th anniversary of the D Day landings?
Probably not the right show I’d have thought? A) it happens in July, not the beginning of June, b) plenty of other shows taking place in June (many at historic venues) are working towards D-Day commemorations, and C) RIAT is mostly a modern mil show.

I’m sure a quiet nod to it would be appropriate, but I can’t really see a lineup of C-47s and DC-3s. Plus that would possibly impact space requirements for modern military stuff, too.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Tommy wrote:
Wed 07 Feb 2024, 2:54 pm
I’m sure a quiet nod to it would be appropriate, but I can’t really see a lineup of C-47s and DC-3s. Plus that would possibly impact space requirements for modern military stuff, too.
1998 had the Berlin Airlift commemoration which had aircraft taking off and landing at similar intervals to 1948, which was mostly a procession of DC3s and similar with solos of Constellation, DC4 and Lancaster thrown in for good measure. The take off and landings bit although not without deeper meaning wasn't the most thrilling RIAT moment but there were some nice machines involved.

Anyway I thought it had already been mentioned they will have left back to the States before RIAT even happens.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Tommy wrote:
Wed 07 Feb 2024, 2:54 pm

Tommy, I know you're a young whipper snapper who never got to see the mega line ups of KC-135s and (not and/or!) C-130s at FFD so us older ones will simply smile when you suggest 10 or so Daks couldn't be shoe horned into the bomber loop somehow. :laughing:
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Well that’s a fair point (not sure I can claim “whipper snapper” any more mate - I’ve started sighing when I sit down!). But I was rather hoping that said space could be used for an ambitious line up of F-16s instead.

Obviously i’m not saying that RIAT can’t hold historic or WWII celebrations (see BoB, RAF100 etc), but rather that many other (arguably more suitable) shows in the U.K. are doing that this year, and I’d sooner RIAT do something different than host the same lineup of C-47s/DC-3s as U.K. enthusiasts might have already seen at Duxford/Old Warden, other venues in June.

Plus, as Caper says, it also depends on what they mean by that schedule given that they’re also supposed to have returned home by then.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Don't D-Day Squadron have a listing to be at RIAT? Though the American based DC3s will have left before that.
AirshowsNI

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Wed 07 Feb 2024, 4:43 pm
Don't D-Day Squadron have a listing to be at RIAT? Though the American based DC3s will have left before that.
Proposed Timeline​
​​
May 13-16: DC-3 Arrivals to KOXC
May 13-18: Kickoff Week in the Northeast US. Train and cross the North Atlantic.
May 17 (18th rain date): Hudson River Flyover
May 18: Departure for Presque Isle, Maine (KPQI)
May 19: Depart for Goose Bay (CYYR)
May 20-25: Northern Atlantic Crossing “Blue Spruce Route” Canada - Greenland - Iceland - Scotland
May 19-21: Goose Bay–Narsarsuaq (BGBW) – Reykjavik (BIRK)
Open house in Reykjavik based upon aircraft arrival
May 22-23: Reykjavik – Prestwick EGPK (Wick is alternate) – North Weald (EGSX)
May 25-26 Event at Old Warden / Shuttleworth (EGTH)
May 25-June 2: UK Tour (other locations TBD)
May 27-31: Training and practice parachute jumps – North Weald (Tickets here)
June 1-2: Imperial War Museum, Duxford Airfield (Tickets here)
June 2: DDAY80 - Cross – Channel jump to Cherbourg (LFRC)
June 3-9: Normandy events and jump operations - Cherbourg – Maupertus Airport
June 10: Cherbourg – Weisbaden (ETOU)
June 15-16: BERLIN75 - US Army Airfield host Berlin 75 event, Wiesbaden Army Airfield on Clay Kaserne
June 17: Depart Weisbaden
June 22 -23: Venice, Italy - Aeroporto Nicelli (old DC-3 Base of Operation) + HAG FlyParty
June 24: Arrive North Weald
June 21-27: Northern Atlantic Crossing, Returns
June 27-28: Presque Isle, Maine (KPQI)
June 28: All DDS planes return to home base (some earlier not flying to Germany or Italy)
July 19-21: RIAT - Royal International Air Tattoo, Fairford in Gloucestershire

July 22-28: EAA AirVenture, Oshkosh, Wis.

https://www.ddaysquadron.org/2024-legacy-tour
C-47 “Placid Lassie” ( N74589) - Tunison Foundation - USA
C-47 “That’s All, Brother” ( N47TB) - Commemorative Air Force Centex Wing - USA
C-47 “Screaming Eagle” (N150D) - Private Owner - USA
R4D “READY-4-DUTY” (151ZE) - Commemorative Air Force Dallas - Ft. Worth Wing - USA
C-53 “The Spirit of Douglas” (N8336C) - Private Owner - USA
C-41A “Hap*penstance” (N341A) - The RM Group, LLC- USA
DC-3 “Chalair” (F-AZOX) - Private Owner - France
C-47 “Night Fright” (N308SF) - Night Fright Promotions Ltd - UK
C-47 “Drag ‘em Oot” (N473DC) - Aero Legends - UK
C-47 “Pegasus” (G-ANAF) - Aero Legends - UK
DC-3 Western Air Private Owner - USA

https://www.ddaysquadron.org/24lt-parti ... g-aircraft

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

i'd be very surprised to see a lineup of Dakotas. if we do see them, i suspect it will be "night fright" or the UK based ones with a stand. i can't see the american ones still being here by then

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Talking about it with UKAR staff, and whilst the new web page looks good, perhaps there’s scope for RIAT to merge and update their “latest updates” and “confirmed aircraft” page. It’sgreat as is, but starting to feel very 2010s-era.

I’d merge the two pages, scrap the “invited nations” list - it’s 90% dead space and barely changes each year. Keep latest updates (which are much better quality recently) and the ongoing list at the top. Drop the traffic lights.

Then just stick the full confirmed aircraft participation list below. New additions each week in bold. I’d also have the “aircraft in the spotlight” as small embeds that open when you click/tap that particular aircraft, rather than separate pages.

Declined nations/cancelled participants merged and located at the bottom of the page.

IMO it’s not bad as it’s now, but feels a bit clunky and perhaps that would be much better than jumping between two pages (and one page is probably less of a headache to update than two).

ThatDutchDude

Post by ThatDutchDude »

Spanish Harrier flying, Finnish on static with a F-18 and a British Survey Twin Otter, primarily a good first takeoff thursday!

wdg

Post by wdg »

Nice first update. I had been hoping the Finnish update would include the special-livery Hawk, but that thing seems cursed never to make it to RIAT.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Of course all my talk of the website is redundant as an increasingly large audience solely check social media now (I spoke to some last year who didn’t even know the participation list web page existed)

Great first update!

Morgangalley

Post by Morgangalley »

honestly a very good first update, but its surprising that a Finnish hornet isn't flying. maybe later confirmation?

JJC

Post by JJC »

Good first update.

As it’s static - it would be nice to see a D model Hornet, rather than the usual C.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

It’s quite rare(?) to get the chance to get an up close look at the Finnish Hornet to be fair. I hope they bring some tat!

BAS Twotter is genuinely lovely.

Healthy list of “ongoing” too. 👍🏻

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Good to see they’ve dropped those weird little video-clip updates for social media updates, too.

Not sure of the colour palette, but much easier on the eyes.

JMC

Post by JMC »

Brilliant first update!

Serbian Air Force, Indian Navy and ACC ongoing is promising!