Cosford Airshow 2024 - 9th June 2024

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
IP1960

Re: Cosford Airshow 2024 - 9th June 2024

Post by IP1960 »

Underwhelming lineup so far. I'm an hour down the road, and have probably been to most of the shows since it started, but haven't yet purchased a ticket, and likely that I won't barring late surprises.

I find it strange that the Flying Bulls aren't there, but that said, the vast majority of the large crowd will be happy with the Red Arrows etc.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Fri 29 Mar 2024, 7:13 pm
Typhoon of course hasn't been 'in service' for 30 years - Instead Typhoon first flew 30 years ago - remember DA2s first from Warton a couple of weeks later. Also EAP in 86

It feels like Cosford have been putting out hyped announcements for 30 years too- it's quite painful....

purple_95

Post by purple_95 »

Really embarrassing for an official RAF account to get mixed up between the first flight and the in service anniversary of its frontline fighter, I was actually optimistic when the weekly updates started for this years Cosford but it seems my optimism was misplaced. I still see people on social media saying Cosford will announce the likes of the Draken (it seems some think its doing Midlands so Cosford can also get it) and Swiss F-18 soon but unless they and the organisers know something we don't I think its people just clutching at straws to be honest.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

A reply to a post asking about any international participation this year has hinted something will be announced soon
FB Poster
Not to sound too harsh, but do people have to imagine some foreign participants this year? So far it's been devoid of any international visitors.

RAF Cosford Air Show (Official)
You won’t have to imagine soon

Phil T

Post by Phil T »

It’s quite a painful process watching things unfold with such underwhelming announcements each week. I would have thought after the mediocrity of last years efforts that the team would have upped their game somewhat. Their social media and official www page are somewhat lacking.

Sad….

A neighbour of ours has recently upped sticks and now lives next to the base almost. You can see the CW museum from his paddock. We have an invite for show day, I’m unenthusiastic about going, we see lots of stuff from here anyway.

bedfordshirevulcan

Post by bedfordshirevulcan »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Sat 30 Mar 2024, 11:01 pm
A reply to a post asking about any international participation this year has hinted something will be announced soon
FB Poster
Not to sound too harsh, but do people have to imagine some foreign participants this year? So far it's been devoid of any international visitors.

Bet it will Jordanian falcons again or Irish swallows

purple_95

Post by purple_95 »

Cosford posted a picture of one of the Jordanian Falcons a few days ago and this was the caption "Throwback to the RAF Cosford Air Show 2023...It's not long now until our display teams will be returning to the skies above Cosford See you there? Sunday 9th June 2024".

Of course that does not mean the Falcons are coming again, but given the person(s) who run the social media like to drop hints, it does lead me to think its fairly likely.

That said whoever is doing the social media really needs to get their act together, telling people who ask questions or offer feedback to go to Midlands Air Festival (and nothing against Midlands, I'm attending all 3 days myself), replying to people with txt speak and getting mixed up between things like the Typhoon first flight and in service dates hardly inspires confidence does it.

bedfordshirevulcan

purple_95 wrote:
Sun 31 Mar 2024, 9:27 am
Cosford posted a picture of one of the Jordanian Falcons a few days ago and this was the caption "Throwback to the RAF Cosford Air Show 2023...It's not long now until our display teams will be returning to the skies above Cosford See you there? Sunday 9th June 2024".

Of course that does not mean the Falcons are coming again, but given the person(s) who run the social media like to drop hints, it does lead me to think its fairly likely.

That said whoever is doing the social media really needs to get their act together, telling people who ask questions or offer feedback to go to Midlands Air Festival (and nothing against Midlands, I'm attending all 3 days myself), replying to people with txt speak and getting mixed up between things like the Typhoon first flight and in service dates hardly inspires confidence does it.
Sadly their social media is very unprofessional almost like it's a student ding it in the evening as a bit of experience not something professional,in terms of promoting what's coming personaly think they like or offer suggestive comment on anything I'm sure they would reply positive if someone suggested a Vulcan flying almost

bishbashbosh

Post by bishbashbosh »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Sat 30 Mar 2024, 11:01 pm
FB Poster

Plenty of space in the car park for international participants
2024 shows: Abingdon, Cosford, Sywell, RIAT, Zeltweg with a couple of Duxford and Shutteworth shows thrown into the mix.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

purple_95 wrote:
Sun 31 Mar 2024, 9:27 am
"Throwback to the RAF Cosford Air Show 2023... ".
Merely using throwback and Cosford 2023 in the same sentence is not only truly desperate in reference to one of the most slated displays in modern times but a throwback? I'm salivating at the prospect of RAF camo Phantoms in the display and Harriers operating from the grass!
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

Theres one thing I really cannot understand for Cosford this year. Set aside the lack of information, the lacklustre line-up (so far) and the problems of the last two years. But why, oh why, are they withholding publicizing of their RAF display assets? Almost all other airshows seem to announce the Red Arrows as soon as they can, as the impact on their ticket sales and public interest is extensively referred to as being very important to airshows. But Cosford haven't yet announced them, or put them on the website. For reference, most other airshows announced them on 8th March. Surely they would want to announce them as soon as possible? Same for the Falcons, Tutor and possibly Chinook? My only conclusion is that they don't have anything else booked which they can announce, so are forced to eek out the RAF aircraft over many weeks to continue their 'Takeoff Friday' concept. Its a shame to see what was becoming a premier airshow in pre-COVID times fall from grace in recent years. Excuse my ignorance, but there seems to be plenty of interesting civilian aircraft available for other airshows, countless warbirds etc, so why do Cosford apparently struggle to secure aircraft?

Phil T

Post by Phil T »

One only needs to have a browse of the official www Cosford Airshow page to see how awful things have become.

Firstly at a quick glance the Typhoon isn’t worthy of a mention, regardless of how long it has been flying.

And secondly, and horrendously we are having a “Lighting” display.

Will that entail turning it off and on again, over and over until the fuse or the bulb blows.

I despair….

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Spotty_Jag wrote:
Tue 02 Apr 2024, 6:37 pm
Theres one thing I really cannot understand for Cosford this year. Set aside the lack of information, the lacklustre line-up (so far) and the problems of the last two years. But why, oh why, are they withholding publicizing of their RAF display assets? Almost all other airshows seem to announce the Red Arrows as soon as they can, as the impact on their ticket sales and public interest is extensively referred to as being very important to airshows. But Cosford haven't yet announced them, or put them on the website. For reference, most other airshows announced them on 8th March. Surely they would want to announce them as soon as possible? Same for the Falcons, Tutor and possibly Chinook? My only conclusion is that they don't have anything else booked which they can announce, so are forced to eek out the RAF aircraft over many weeks to continue their 'Takeoff Friday' concept. Its a shame to see what was becoming a premier airshow in pre-COVID times fall from grace in recent years. Excuse my ignorance, but there seems to be plenty of interesting civilian aircraft available for other airshows, countless warbirds etc, so why do Cosford apparently struggle to secure aircraft?
I think I said this earlier, but it goes to show how thin the line-up is or how thin talks with other operators are if they have to dripfeed one a week.

Truthfully, for the vast majority of the public... they won't have seen the Red Arrows schedule so when Cosford announce them it will mean big traffic on their FB and ticket sales. I don't understand why shows like Cosford have people asking "Will the Red Arrows be there?" at a paid show, when you can see them for free at any seaside show most of the time.

Cosford has become a free seaside show, at a premium cost.

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Red Arrows, Tutor, Chinook, Falcons and imo the Black Cats will fill the Friday updates until May. That leaves 4 more Takeoff Fridays. Most of the demo team schedules are already out none at set to display at Cosford. They might get lucky and get the Swiss F/A-18C or the French Rafale but I doubt it. Continuous poor line-ups with poor communication since Covid hit might really cause the end of Cosford Airshow.

purple_95

Post by purple_95 »

Phil T wrote:
Tue 02 Apr 2024, 6:45 pm
One only needs to have a browse of the official www Cosford Airshow page to see how awful things have become.

Firstly at a quick glance the Typhoon isn’t worthy of a mention, regardless of how long it has been flying.

And secondly, and horrendously we are having a “Lighting” display.

Will that entail turning it off and on again, over and over until the fuse or the bulb blows.

I despair….
The entire website is sloppy at best, for example in the FAQ one question is "I bring my own food and drink ?",

When it should be "Can I bring my own food and drink ?" or "May I"

Mistakes happen and the odd one you could overlook, but the website is full of them, and its just a sign of how much Cosford has declined over the past few years. The comment made above about a seaside show with a premium price about sums it up really.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Cosford might not be what it was to enthusiasts, but I daresay to the members of the public who attend, they probably don’t mind. If that’s the direction the show wants to go, they’re welcome to - and if it sells out, then they’re justified in doing it.

I’m not sure about the “seaside show, premium cost” - you’re possibly judging a participation list in March compared to what the show might be in June. I suppose, it’s also worth remembering that many seaside shows this year won’t get the Reds, due to their tour.

And, of course, it all changes if some sort of foreign participant is announced. I’ve heard gossip about the French, for instance. If, for example, Couteau Delta turned up, suddenly it’d be a huge turnaround based on one item (and people will be in the RIAT threads pining for them to go there instead).

Indeed, Cosford still manages gems that RIAT doesn’t. In 2022, the French Rafale solo, in 2023 Patrouille Suisse, and so on. It adds vibrancy and variety to the airshow circuit which, in my book, can only be a good thing.

Enthusiasts know the score with Cosford by now - if nothing on the list excites them, then they ought not to buy a ticket until it does.

That’s not to say there aren’t criticisms, but is strikes me as unfair to write the show off completely in March.

CWS

Post by CWS »

Yeah I'm not in any way able to really comment on Cosford as I have never been. The lineups in the past look decent, not so in recent times. It would take something very special to tempt me to go. If Couteau Delta for example do come .. after what I've been saying in the RIAT threads .. I think I would be tempted.
Airshows 2024 - Duxford VE day, Duxford Summer Airshow, RIAT, Duxford The Americans, Miramar, Pacific Airshow

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

Tommy wrote:
Thu 04 Apr 2024, 8:30 am
And, of course, it all changes if some sort of foreign participant is announced. I’ve heard gossip about the French, for instance. If, for example, Couteau Delta turned up, suddenly it’d be a huge turnaround based on one item.
I've heard on the grapevine that Cosford didn't send their invitations to international air forces until January, so if they do get any foreign participants this year, it'll be down to well meaning supporters in Europe assuming they're wanted, rather than them actually asking for the displays people want to see. I'll eat my hat if Couteau Delta are overhead Cosford in June. More chance of an Irish helicopter dumped in a car park, maybe a Belgian A109, and Dutch NH90.

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Looks like they announcing the reds today

JonG96

Post by JonG96 »

BossMann wrote:
Fri 05 Apr 2024, 11:09 am
Boring. Wait a week for them to announce a guaranteed act we see every year.

bedfordshirevulcan

JonG96 wrote:
Fri 05 Apr 2024, 11:52 am
BossMann wrote:
Can't believe how much their stringing their announcement of raf assets with tone of their replies to international participation it makes me wonder they have nothing in the pipeline as reminds me of the poor responses last year regarding the b1

JonG96

Post by JonG96 »

bedfordshirevulcan wrote:
Fri 05 Apr 2024, 12:23 pm
JonG96 wrote:
Fri 05 Apr 2024, 11:52 am
BossMann wrote:
Can't believe how much their stringing their announcement of raf assets with tone of their replies to international participation it makes me wonder they have nothing in the pipeline as reminds me of the poor responses last year regarding the b1
One or two weeks ago I was going to make a post defending them but I left it a bit longer to see. Stringing out the red arrows and typhoon etc which are always there no matter what is a bit underwhelming. The RAF assets should just be one big update. Definitely not posted over a 4 week period. Lineup so far isn’t making me want to pay the increased price of a ticket.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Quite amusing on their Facebook page they’ve responded to a comment saying the best way to sell tickets is to withhold information on international aircraft coming to the show. It’s actually quite depressing how bad the show is run now much like farnborough

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

I saw that too.

To the shock of no one, todays announcement is the Red Arrows. Much to Joe Publics delight.