MCAS Yuma '24

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
Tangoringo

MCAS Yuma '24

Post by Tangoringo »

The first of a couple of shows in March with my old mucca @chrism Thankfully work and play coincided nicely after a bit of planning and Yuma was first on the list.
First thing to note... if you are driving East from say SoCal watch out for the cheeky timezone change as you pass over the nearby state border. Having planned to arrive just as gates opened we suddenly lost an hour and walked through the gates as the anthem was being played. Great timing but not strictly planned!
How to describe Yuma's show succinctly in one word? Brief!! The flying was all finished by 1pm having started at 10.30 with no civvy filler slots and a few no shows as described elsewhere. Thankfully that gave us time in the afternoon to wander around the static, time which had quickly disappeared in the morning. The flying was good but there was a post show thought of 'it could have been so much better'. The raised bleachers seating was around the corner from the flight line which didnt help so missed a few of the local F-35's taxying out and the showline was fairly distant but did give a good view of the F-22 display a/c refusing stubbornly to start so a quick hop in to the spare was req'd. Despite the brevity of the flying I would have happily gone just for the Snipers F-5E flypasts, the combined Marines KC-130/F-35-F18 flypast and the Raptor demo with plentiful flares. Despite the local team launching the MAGTF demo it was very much Miramar MAGTF lite and really missed the Osprey and Stallion contingent.
The static was, shall we say, compact with a lot squeezed in a very small area in complete contrast to Luke ( see seperate post ), but full of some real stars. A Mi24 that occasionally shows its size at WTI immediately grabbed our attention as did a VFA 151 'Vigilantes' CAG F-18E. A bundle of Planes Of Fame a/c inc Bearcat,Dauntless,Avenger and the beautiful P-51 'Dolly'/'Spam Can' gleaming in the Arizona sun. A cheeky little Whiteman based proficiency trainer for the B-2 crews was also lurking in the corner of the very crowded static but was incredibly difficult to photograph as was a local 'snipers' F-5N and the ine up of locally based F-35B units.
Anyway, here's my view of the static taken on a lowly iphone due to ongoing issues with metering on my Nikon so here go's.....Thanks for looking.

ImageYuma ‘24 by Tangoringo, on Flickr

Try and get a photo of that!!!......

And finally, even managed to catch the 2nd half of the Angels display at El Centro on the way back...

spellow3010

Re: MCAS Yuma '24

Post by spellow3010 »

Interesting set there. The VMX-1 Osprey special tail looks really nice. Saw it on the ramp later in the following week but not to photograph sadly. Would've been nice to see it airborne.

We opted for El Centro show - much more relaxed by the look of things and also had a surprisingly good static too given the lack of initial information on the website.

Nice context shot you have there of the Blue Angels.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

Tangoringo

Post by Tangoringo »

How was El Centro? There didn’t seem to be much info in the run up and I’ve seen no reviews since either. Did there happen to be one of the few remaining Harriers there as one was pencilled in for Yuma but ended up as a no show?
Last edited by Tangoringo on Wed 17 Apr 2024, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

Whilst it was a 'small' show, there were some gems in the flying.

ImageUSMC MAGTF refuelling demo KNYL by Chris Muir, on Flickr

ImageUSMC F-18 KNYL by Chris Muir, on Flickr

ImageUSAF F-22A KNYL by Chris Muir, on Flickr

ImageUSAF F-22A KNYL by Chris Muir, on Flickr

ImageUSAF F-22A & flares KNYL by Chris Muir, on Flickr

ImageUSAF F-22A & flares KNYL by Chris Muir, on Flickr

ImageUSAF F-22A & P-38 Heritage Flight KNYL by Chris Muir, on Flickr

ImageUSMC F-5N KNYL by Chris Muir, on Flickr

ImageUSMC F-5N KNYL by Chris Muir, on Flickr

ImageUSMC F-35B demo KNYL by Chris Muir, on Flickr

ImageUSMC F-35B demo KNYL by Chris Muir, on Flickr
Cheers

Chris

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Hi,
yeah, El Centro was welcoming, warm, sunny and delivered some great flying. I shall start with the Static, walking through the entrance gate onto the base we were greeted by two VFA-122 Super Hornets kind of nose to nose. Elsewhere, off the top of my head there were no less than two C-47/C-53 Dakota/Skytrooper, two RAF Chinooks (one on formal static display and open to the public, the other being re-constructed by RAF engineers in an open hanger who were happy to talk about their recalcitrant aircraft), NASA T-34, Beale T-38, US Army C-27 (open for visits), 2 x USMC Harriers (Ace Of Spades - including the special tail), a San Diego Seahawk (Wild Cards) and F-35B (from Yuma I believe). There was other stuff, including more warbirds but without checking my memory cards I can't remember at the moment.

There were some great Star Wars related cos-play and re-enactors walking the showground and with a very informative/interactive stall - an interesting and fun distraction from the aviation. Also some brave motorcycle stunt performers.

Flying Display -
US Navy Leapfrogs parachuting in from Fat Albert with the National Anthem pomp and ceremony.
USAF F-22 Raptor with P-38 Lightning - this was a big and welcome surprise to see as wasn't listed on the website other than some 'Heritage Flight' instance. Several wonderfully lit passes as a pair, then the F-22 did it's role demo, but of course without flares because of its appearance at Yuma. Still, a magical surprise for us really - and we got to see the flares the following week anyway at Travis.
USN F-18 Super Hornet role demo. Not the CAG jet (that was still on shed at Lemoore), but nice to have the demo at El Centro.
Couple of P-51 Mustangs also flew a routine.
(The T-33 was tech I believe)
Fat Albert role demo...
Blue Angels closed the show (number 4 having some in-flight issue that meant pulling out of the display part way through, but re-joining for the final flat pass and break. The Commentator was exceptional and not flustered by any of this at all).

All in all, a very nice show with nice highlights in the static - those Harriers were just unexpected and lovely to see.

We chose El Centro largely because of the 'un-welcome' we got from the USMC at Yuma show last year and also because we suspected some of the demos listed would be affected by the delays in getting the Ospreys back up and running. Yes, we missed the F-5 role demo, which would have been a great highlight, but we also wanted the Blue Angels in the 'best light' and we get that at El Centro.
Last edited by spellow3010 on Wed 17 Apr 2024, 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

And Chris, a very nice set of images you bagged at Yuma as well. Love them all. Nice to see the Death Rattler Hornets and those F-5s! A splash of colour under the bin lid of the Wake Island Avengers F-35B as well in the hover.

ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

Yuma was good, though quieter than expected. Next year I'll have El Centro on my list, primarily for the Blue Angels as it seems to be one of the few venues they display at (and that I can get to) where the sun is behind you.

Have to ask, as a 'regular' to El Centro over the last year. Where is 'Famous Dave's'??
Cheers

Chris

Tangoringo

Post by Tangoringo »

Thanks for the info @spellow3010 Sounds like a good show and it’s always strange they put El C and Yuma on the same day given their proximity.
Will have to give it a whirl next time.
And nice shots @ChrisM 👍🏻 See, it was easy catching the flares wasn’t it? 😂😂

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

ChrisM wrote:
Wed 17 Apr 2024, 2:15 pm
Yuma was good, though quieter than expected. Next year I'll have El Centro on my list, primarily for the Blue Angels as it seems to be one of the few venues they display at (and that I can get to) where the sun is behind you.

Have to ask, as a 'regular' to El Centro over the last year. Where is 'Famous Dave's'??
Famous Dave's - best barbecue food down that part of southern California. It's a great and popular barbecue pit restaurant/bar just off the Interstate 8 - close to the Olive Garden too. Recommended if you like that style of food. The RAF crew putting the Chinook back together in the hanger were really looking forward to trying it out. Hopefully they had a good time there.