RIAT 2024 - discuss most things thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT 2024 - discuss most things thread

Post by Tommy »

AARDVARK wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2024, 11:38 pm
Seems like this all came about with the Biden administration , prior to this it seemed business as usual..
I highly doubt it’s got anything to do with any particular administration.

One could equally say that an insular “we don’t travel” policy is rather more Trumpian, given his “America First” stance as well as disdain for NATO.

(I’m not arguing it’s his fault - I’m just drawing comparison to illustrate that it’s so vague as to be a bit meaningless to say it’s one administration or another)

airphotog19

Post by airphotog19 »

What gets me is that the F22 team was in Chile a couple weeks ago. Only 2 went down as well as a KC10 and KC135. Does that class as an operational stint then as surely Chile is further than the UK. Still amazes me how there's been no F35 demo in the UK yet though

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Maybe, but the F-22 is busy RIAT weekend anyway, so it’s a bit moot this year.

Whilst I do think the ACC demos *should* attend RIAT, I’m probably in a bit of a minority in that I’m not bothered that they don’t. The F-16 display is trounced by better European demos, the F-35 doesn’t really do much for me (plus if I’m that desperate to see it, I can pop over to Lakenheath). F-22s are cool, but they seem to break/go tech half the time they’re over here anyway.

The A-10 would be the only one I’m super excited about, but that’s soon to be gone anyway, and I’ve come to peace with not seeing that demo again.

But that’s just me, ofc.

airphotog19

Post by airphotog19 »

Yeah i wasn't saying the F22 should come over just trying to understand why a team could go to Chile and not the UK.

MorganBW

Post by MorganBW »

Just going through the QinetiQ list, shame their DA-42 isn't there, saw it earlier at Shoreham and it's a nice looking aircraft

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Finnish Hornet schedule is out, no RIAT.

Morgangalley

Post by Morgangalley »

The likeliest of the ACC demos imo is the F-35. Only one with a gap in the schedule that has permanent based aircraft in Europe. Would be nice to see how the RAF Role Demo with the B variant compares with the F-35A demo of the usaf.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Morgangalley wrote:
Wed 17 Apr 2024, 3:37 pm
The likeliest of the ACC demos imo is the F-35. Only one with a gap in the schedule that has permanent based aircraft in Europe. Would be nice to see how the RAF Role Demo with the B variant compares with the F-35A demo of the usaf.
Well lets hope if it does appear they won't try hovering!
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

CWS

Post by CWS »

Yep I would like to get the F-35A demo. If we then for fast jet participants have Typhoon, F-18, F-16, Gripen, Harrier, F-35B, F-35A and potentially a Rafale, it is still a great variety !!!
Airshows 2024 - Duxford VE day, Duxford Summer Airshow, RIAT, Duxford The Americans, Miramar, Pacific Airshow

Morgangalley

Post by Morgangalley »

See I think there’s still a chance for some more variety, from the likes of Couteau Delta, or those f-15s that are “displaying” in Beja. Potentially some soviet era stuff. (Trying to not sound too wishlisty) But I think from now on it’ll mostly be more of what we already have! In terms of fast jets.

gano54

Post by gano54 »

Having seen the US F35A demo twice (last year in Athens and this year in San Antonio), imo the novelty wears off quite quickly.. That said, it'd still be a welcome addition

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Kristin 'Beo' Wolfe flying the borrowed Lakenheath F-35 at Kleine Brogel in 2023 was absolutely amazing. That jet was maxed-out in all directions!

It's just possible my 'novelty' is case-hardened to resist wear? :wink: :smile:

gano54

Post by gano54 »

That was pretty much how I felt the first time. This year it didn't quite do it for me, and this was at an airshow where it was pretty much the only fast jet display (not sure if the Mig 17 counts :D). Maybe it's me getting bored easily, or maybe it was the display being slightly different (not sure if it was, but there's a new pilot).

Has there ever been an F15 *display* at RIAT? I've only attended since 2018, and certainly don't remember seeing one. Google seems to think that there was something in 2013. After seeing the Saudi F15 a couple of years ago (not at RIAT obviously), it's certainly something I'd like to see again.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

2013. I assume Heritage Flight as it flew with a P51

AirshowsNI
2024 shows - Duxford D-Day (both days) Cosford, Armed Forces Day NI, RIAT (3 days) Portrush & Duxford BoB

Skylinerworld

Post by Skylinerworld »

gano54 wrote:
Thu 18 Apr 2024, 1:44 am
That was pretty much how I felt the first time. This year it didn't quite do it for me, and this was at an airshow where it was pretty much the only fast jet display (not sure if the Mig 17 counts :D). Maybe it's me getting bored easily, or maybe it was the display being slightly different (not sure if it was, but there's a new pilot).

Has there ever been an F15 *display* at RIAT? I've only attended since 2018, and certainly don't remember seeing one. Google seems to think that there was something in 2013. After seeing the Saudi F15 a couple of years ago (not at RIAT obviously), it's certainly something I'd like to see again.
There was one at RIAT 2006 when I attended, which was also part of a heritage flight.
Search 'AirportsAroundTheWorld' on FB
Search 'airports_around_the_world' on Insta
http://blog.skylinerworld.co.uk/

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

There used to be USAF F-15C and F-15E demo teams, three in total - East and West Coast.

The last time the F-15C team appeared was 2006
The last time the F-15E team appeared was 2007

F-15C East disbanded in 2006 to make way for the Raptor Demo Team
F-15C West disbanded in 2009 due to the base transitioning to F-35
F-15E demo team were disbanded after the 2011 season as a victim of budget cuts that saw for a period only the Raptor and Thunderbirds displaying for the USAF and it never returned.

Their final appearance was by the F-15E team at Duxford in 2011.

I did however witness a “role demo” by a California ANG F-15C at Lemoore Airshow in 2019 (check out the UKAR review) but it was far from a display.

Andy

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

CWS wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2024, 3:31 pm
So the F-35A obviously ticks all the boxes for that, but it has done for the last two airshows and has not come to RIAT. Wonder why it has been to other events in Europe but not 'round the corner' to RIAT. I know this sounds like an entitled RIAT goer but I do find it odd that it has not done the full demo at RIAT. With ACC ongoing maybe this is the year?
It's "around the corner" for the aircraft they decide to use, it isn't around the corner for the pilot & the rest of the team that have to travel trans-atlantic for a week or more....plus the UK isn't an F-35A user/will be user, unlike most of the European countries where it has appeared recently.

On the current fascination with Eagles, if you spend almost any week day at LN fence you'll see as many 'flypasts', missed approaches & fast climbs as you want surely? Even at RIAT last year we got a 'flypast' & a missed approach off both F-15Es that LN sent (on the Thursday) 🤷‍♂️ Most years they do that I think...

Danhaz

Post by Danhaz »

I think the only see a F15 demo return back to the circuit would be for the EX, all other US demos other than the A10 are still exporting those aircraft to other nations where the E is not being exported and its and older airframe.

JMC

Post by JMC »

Bodz156 wrote:
Thu 18 Apr 2024, 7:44 am
CWS wrote:
So the F-35A obviously ticks all the boxes for that, but it has done for the last two airshows and has not come to RIAT. Wonder why it has been to other events in Europe but not 'round the corner' to RIAT. I know this sounds like an entitled RIAT goer but I do find it odd that it has not done the full demo at RIAT. With ACC ongoing maybe this is the year?
It's "around the corner" for the aircraft they decide to use, it isn't around the corner for the pilot & the rest of the team that have to travel trans-atlantic for a week or more....plus the UK isn't an F-35A user/will be user, unlike most of the European countries where it has appeared recently.

On the current fascination with Eagles, if you spend almost any week day at LN fence you'll see as many 'flypasts', missed approaches & fast climbs as you want surely? Even at RIAT last year we got a 'flypast' & a missed approach off both F-15Es that LN sent (on the Thursday) 🤷‍♂️ Most years they do that I think...
Although I understand where you're coming from with regards to just popping to LN to see Eagles, but not everyone has that privilege. I haven't seen an Eagle fly in afterburner since Duxford 2011 (😳) (mundane flypasts don't count). So any F-15 performing a demo would be a very rare treat. With the same viewpoint anyone could just pop over to Orange-Caritat Air Base to see Mirage's. Doesn't mean if one was added it would take away the rarity of such an addition.

RichPittman

Post by RichPittman »

Things should get better but for the last couple months you been lucky to see any F15 at LN
Always remember "If you cannot turn tight...you cannot fight!"

CWS

Post by CWS »

Bodz156 wrote:
Thu 18 Apr 2024, 7:44 am
CWS wrote:

yep planning on going to LN at some stage but still would like to see an actual display Eagle display at an airshow whilst I'm on the base.

All makes sense with the F-35A, agree with your points. Just still a bit of a surprise it hasn't been once properly, even in 2019 before the world went to s***. The fact that ACC is ongoing and it has that 'gap' in the schedule, maybe this is the year we get the demo.
Airshows 2024 - Duxford VE day, Duxford Summer Airshow, RIAT, Duxford The Americans, Miramar, Pacific Airshow

ThatDutchDude

Post by ThatDutchDude »

Belgian F-16 static, Soloturk, 2 Turkish F4s static, Belgian F-16 static and 2 Draken Europe statics

wdg

Post by wdg »

No actual update yet, but the list is updated. Soloturk flying and a pair of static Phantoms from Turkey is a great addition. Belgian F-16, Draken L-159 and Falcon 20 also on static.

Pretty good additions.

ThatDutchDude

Post by ThatDutchDude »

Also added to the ongoing list is Portugal, Morocco, Indian Air Force + Slovakia (out of my head at least)

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

Royal Moroccan Air Force added to the ongoing list.

(Others may have been added, but I've just about lost track of what's changed - flashing lights are much missed).