Best of British - 12th May

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Professor_M

Re: Best of British - 12th May

Post by Professor_M »

Jet Provost T3 XM479 replaces Vampire WZ507...

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

Disappointing but not unexpected. Is the JP still in that scheme as it does look well esp the design on the wings.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Really disappointed by that!

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Disappointing but fair play to the organisers, they've managed to get something to replace it with only a few days left.

Hopefully we'll get the Vampire at a show later in the year.

Mike

Post by Mike »

lynothehammer wrote: Hopefully we'll get the Vampire at a show later in the year.
It’s about as reliable as a chocolate fireguard with its airshow appearances, so I wouldn’t bank on it.

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

I was certainly looking forward to seeing the Vampire display - probably my highlight of the visiting line-up, but it's good news that they have got a classic jet replacement for it - has XM479 displayed at Shuttleworth before? I can't find any photos online of it visiting.

It's still a jet, and XM479 doesn't display all that frequently at that too - and they're certainly something to look forward to nonetheless (JP T5 XW325 was due for the Season Premiere last year, only to be withdrawn not long before the show), let's just hope it's not too high & distant.

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

lynothehammer wrote:
Tue 07 May 2024, 2:48 pm
Ryan. wrote:
Tue 07 May 2024, 12:00 pm
Still says more to be announced on the website.

I'm guessing that's the Swordfish, it hasn't been been added on the website yet. Still think that should be removed when everything has now probably been announced.
To be fair the website usually says that up until the show day.

Take it with a pinch of salt and if something else is there, then bonus ! :D
Website now updated, Petrel and Magister added too - https://www.shuttleworth.org/product/be ... tish-2024/

No longer says more to be added.

st24

Post by st24 »

Far more disappointing is the weather forecast. The typical thundery breakdown arriving bang on start of the flying!!.. :rolling_eyes:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Fingers crossed it may be sunny and not break down until the long drive home!
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Varkfan

Post by Varkfan »

st24 wrote:
Thu 09 May 2024, 3:54 pm
Far more disappointing is the weather forecast. The typical thundery breakdown arriving bang on start of the flying!!.. :rolling_eyes:
Oh I don't know? I've seen some fantastic post Summer storm light conditions, especially at OW. Slate grey skies illuminated by the emerging Sunlight.

Image_MG_0582 by Mark Lewis, on Flickr

Image_MG_0627 by Mark Lewis, on Flickr
Last edited by Varkfan on Fri 10 May 2024, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chinon CE-4
Prinz 200mm
Prinz 35 - 150 zoom

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Professor_M wrote:
Thu 09 May 2024, 3:23 pm
lynothehammer wrote:
Tue 07 May 2024, 2:48 pm
Ryan. wrote:
Tue 07 May 2024, 12:00 pm
Still says more to be announced on the website.

I'm guessing that's the Swordfish, it hasn't been been added on the website yet. Still think that should be removed when everything has now probably been announced.
To be fair the website usually says that up until the show day.

Take it with a pinch of salt and if something else is there, then bonus ! :D
Website now updated, Petrel and Magister added too - https://www.shuttleworth.org/product/be ... tish-2024/

No longer says more to be added.
Glad it's been updated.

Has the Swordfish flown this year yet?

NigeF-51

Post by NigeF-51 »

Swordfish flew yesterday for the first time this year.

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

NigeF-51 wrote:
Fri 10 May 2024, 9:31 am
Swordfish flew yesterday for the first time this year.
As did the Hurricane that’s booked for the flypast.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

...and the weather's taken a turn for the better too 😃

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Blackbird wrote:
Fri 10 May 2024, 10:58 am
Not necessarily. Met Office are saying basically cloudy all day with a few sunny intervals in the afternoon. BBC saying cloud/sunny intervals.

Its basically one of those pain in the arse forecasts of what to do for a 300 mile trip when there are two or three items you are really after with nice blue skies, ie Hawker Fury and that big engined Spitfire.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

capercaillie wrote:
Fri 10 May 2024, 2:26 pm
Blackbird wrote:
Not necessarily. Met Office are saying basically cloudy all day with a few sunny intervals in the afternoon. BBC saying cloud/sunny intervals.

Its basically one of those pain in the arse forecasts of what to do for a 300 mile trip when there are two or three items you are really after with nice blue skies, ie Hawker Fury and that big engined Spitfire.
Do it, do it ! :D

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

P&A Wood Sopwith Dove & DH Puss Moth added according to Shuttleworth's Facebook page.

https://www.shuttleworth.org/product/be ... tish-2024/

Orion

Post by Orion »

lynothehammer wrote:
Fri 10 May 2024, 2:52 pm
capercaillie wrote:
Fri 10 May 2024, 2:26 pm
Blackbird wrote:

Do it, do it ! :D
Personally I prefer broken bright cloud. It adds a sense of depth

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Army historic flight bringing there auster up tommorow landing on mid morning departing end of show
Thomas

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

A most enjoyable day with the weather far better than the forecast had predicted earlier in the week (though there was some sunshine-blocking cloud for most of the Blenheim display).

The souvenir program appears to have had a redesign since last year with more (better) photographs and seemingly more content, despite not being noticeably thicker. The substantial visiting aircraft profiles and engineering update being two welcome additions that I don't remember seeing last year (when the programs left me somewhat underwhelmed with their lack of content and sometimes poor/ pixelated photos).

The Sopwith Dove did make a take-off run but didn't make it into the air whilst the Tiger Moth taxied out only to taxi back in again and I didn't see the Tomtit even start. The wind stayed too strong for any Edwardians.

Jet Provost and Spitfire XIV were my particular highlights - the former, to me at least, not seeming excessively high or distant.

On the topic of Spitfire topsides, did AR501 make even a single topside pass today? Near the tower, I certainly didn't notice any, but I have plenty of underside shots of it. Last year its solo displays always seemed to be very fleeting after formation appearances but then today it had what seemed like a more substantial solo appearance, yet no topsides.

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

A really good day some brilliant displays - Blenheim, parnell elf, gladiator some of the highlights. The fury was high and unfortunately not the greatest display. The final spitfire mk 14 also a very good display! agree about AR501 was a very aero and flat pass display
Last edited by Tom105 on Sun 12 May 2024, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

bishbashbosh

Post by bishbashbosh »

Tom105 wrote:
Sun 12 May 2024, 8:56 pm
The fury was high and unfortunately not the greatest display.
The Fury got a warning for being too low! But yes, after that was quite high. A cracking day overall, glad I made the last minute decision to go. Swordfish was the highlight for me but I thought the vast majority of the displays very well flown.
2024 shows: Cosford, Sywell, RIAT, Zeltweg with a couple of Duxford and Shuttleworth shows thrown into the mix.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

AR501 was a very disappointing display. Underside after underside, it’s just not what I go to an OW show for and from the Collection’s star item, it fell flat and left the climax of the show feeling a little underwhelming. It was more like a BBMF display.

Blenheim was superb as ever, and agree that the Elf was a smashing little display. Also very much enjoyed the Gladiator that was darting around the sky impressively, and the Spitfire XIV was a perfect blend of power/aeros and photo passes. Anson also had a solid showing and the Swordfish is always nice to see.

Overall I had an enjoyable day in the sunshine. Only my second time back at Shuttleworth since the pandemic, but glad I chose the show rather than a day at Duxford, which was my original plan when I got up this morning.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Peregrine

Post by Peregrine »

I have to say I think that was one of the most enjoyable Shuttleworth shows I've been to. There were some real gems in there like the Spitfire FRXIV, Blenheim and Swordfish all in gorgeous light. Nice as well to see a jet aircraft display at Shuttleworth, in the form of the Jet Provost, which I (perhaps contraversially) think photographs nicer than the silver 2 seat Vampire. No issues getting in or out of the show either!

As others have said, my only disappointment was watching endless underside passes of AR501, made worse by the stunning light it was flying in. Seems odd to have such an icon being flown in such a difficult way to photograph. It's a shame it couldn't do what the FRXIV did after and tag a few topside photo passes onto the end of the Aerobatic display.

Post by 5944 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Sun 12 May 2024, 9:20 pm
AR501 was a very disappointing display. Underside after underside, it’s just not what I go to an OW show for and from the Collection’s star item, it fell flat and left the climax of the show feeling a little underwhelming. It was more like a BBMF display.
I'm not sure I've ever got a decent photo of AR501 in half a dozen shows - it always seems to be displayed high and distant with a lot of turns away from the crowd. Just fling it round the corner occasionally! Likewise the Percival Provost, never seems to be displayed close enough for a topside photo.