Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Nwalch

Re: Best of British - 12th May

Post by Nwalch »

bishbashbosh wrote:
Sun 12 May 2024, 9:15 pm
Tom105 wrote:
Sun 12 May 2024, 8:56 pm
The fury was high and unfortunately not the greatest display.
The Fury got a warning for being too low! But yes, after that was quite high. A cracking day overall, glad I made the last minute decision to go. Swordfish was the highlight for me but I thought the vast majority of the displays very well flown.
Although a decent display, I thought the Fury was a bit high so was surprised when he was told too low. Must have been a stray low pass.

Agree some stunning displays with the exception of the home based Spirfire. Thank god the MkIV finished off the show with some superb top side passes otherwise I think it would have been a dull ending to an otherwise decent show.

Stand out displays were the Blenheim and Anson and enjoyed the JP which I was looking forward to and yes I think that scheme does make it more photogenic than the Vampire (but historically not as significant).

wdg

Post by wdg »

The flying and weather combined for a thoroughly enjoyable day. Although it was disappointing to lose the Vampire from the programme, the Jet Provost made up for it with one of the best displays by a jet aircraft that I've seen at Old Warden. The Blenheim and Swordfish were also displayed particularly well - although it was odd (though not unwelcome) to see the latter without its usual underslung torpedo.

I have to echo the sentiments of several posters above regarding AR501 - one of the most lacking displays I have seen from this aircraft at Shuttleworth. Aside from the absence of topside passes, it just felt flat and lacking enthusiasm, especially compared with the Mk.XIV that flew afterwards.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

I rather enjoyed the Hawker Fury's display. Don't know if it was dependant on where you were standing. (I happened to be close to where it was parked)

The commentary system at Shuttleworth proved a little annoying where I was, cutting in and out for a lot of the show. And as echoed on here, the Spitfire Mk.V didn't do a great showing considering. I didn't see a single topside and from a home based Shuttleworth aircraft, that's not something you'd expect, or want!

That's where my niggles ended though. Gladiator was superb. You really get a sense of how manoeuvrble the aircraft is. The Blenheim was the standout display, then again when isn't it when it's at Shuttleworth? Pleasently surprised by the Jet Provest which I expected would fly miles away but did a very nice and elegant routine. The Spitfire Mk.XIV was absolutely top stuff.

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

wdg wrote:
Sun 12 May 2024, 11:48 pm
The Blenheim and Swordfish were also displayed particularly well - although it was odd (though not unwelcome) to see the latter without its usual underslung torpedo.
Perhaps someone overslept yesterday and they needed the extra speed to make it in time! :rofl:

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

I know they get a lot of practice but impeccable organisation as we have come to expect. It was as busy as I have seen it yet getting in and out works well and a big shout to the volunteers and the very family orientated stalls and attractions.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

I'm not sure the criticism of the Spitfire V being poor is correct, it was very well flown, just not particularly well presented. As others have mentioned you sort of expect topside passes at OW especially from the home fleet. The bend wasn't very well used at all yesterday, have the "locals" issues raised their heads again?

That said, the Spitfire XIV was superb, Blenheim and Gladiator epic. Glider displays also highly praiseworthy.

Surprised by the Fury too low comments as well, it never was, too close perhaps on a couple of the passes seemed over the parked aircraft, but again would have benefitted from a good low bank around the bend. Certainly was not low compared to the Gladiator display!

Enjoyable day as well with fine company.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Orion

Post by Orion »

I also had a great afternoon at Old Warden, my only complaint being that the resident pilots don't display down the entire runway, The visitors did, but the resident pilots need to know that everybody, not just the spectators around the control tower, have paid their £38.

st24

Post by st24 »

A typically enjoyable start to the season at OW - a place where you can just step effortlessly back into the groove with no major dramas; even the M1 and the weather played ball, in the main...

A good, varied, solid programme with some cracking visitors though as m'learned colleague has hinted at, the "bend" didn't seem well used at all, a real "must have" at this splendid place.
Agree entirely about the flying display comments and am a little shocked too by the low warning re the Fury, it must have been given as at a couple of stages it was flying along the crowd line - very bizarre. I'd have been less surprised if it had received some warnings from Stansted or Luton for entering their control zones during those big, high repositioning turns! A little disappointing as it was for many no doubt, the absolute star of the show and rightly so, such a beautiful machine that sounds as good as it looks. Hope it comes back.

JP was the stand out display for me - perfectly positioned for every pass, no rivet popping high g turns or unnecessary aeros with inevitable dot in the sky consequences. Top sides were bang on and irrelevant if you have a camera, phone, tablet (anyone do that now - it was becoming quite the annoyance I recall!) or just the good old Mk1 eyeball, seeing the upper surfaces and being able to gawp at the driver(s) brings an aeroplane to life (see Spitfire V display!) in my opinion.
The MkXIV looks fantastic and was displayed beautifully. Graham Saw is a legend in a glider, love his displays.

A very worthy first full display since it became "under new management". Stirling effort sir, I hope you got your horrendous looking Blue slushie before the flying and a deserved pint or several after it. Bravo.
capercaillie wrote:
Mon 13 May 2024, 11:31 am
Enjoyable day as well with fine company.
I wish I could say the same! :wink:
Good to see you both, not too long for the next one hopefully.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

st24 wrote:
Mon 13 May 2024, 5:27 pm
even the M1 played ball
The amount of middle lane hoggers on the M1 ruined my whole day
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

It may be of interest to some who weren't there yesterday that the Southern Martlet, Blackburn B-2 and English Electric Wren are the aircraft being rested this season as per the normal rotation.

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

Nwalch wrote:
Sun 12 May 2024, 10:45 pm

Although a decent display, I thought the Fury was a bit high so was surprised when he was told too low. Must have been a stray low pass.

Agree some stunning displays with the exception of the home based Spirfire. Thank god the MkIV finished off the show with some superb top side passes otherwise I think it would have been a dull ending to an otherwise decent show.

Stand out displays were the Blenheim and Anson and enjoyed the JP which I was looking forward to and yes I think that scheme does make it more photogenic than the Vampire (but historically not as significant).

Airshow review and photos - https://warbirdaviation.co.uk/shuttlewo ... tish-2024/