Handley Page Halifax at YAM; A Closer Look...

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
Blue_2

Handley Page Halifax at YAM; A Closer Look...

Post by Blue_2 »

As I covered in the Meteor thread, the Yorkshire Air Museum Halifax has made her annual excursion out of the hangar for the "We'll Meet Again" 1940's event. While she was outdoors, I had to pop on board to close the cockpit windows someone had left open. Well, it would have been rude not to make the most of the opportunity of getting photos of her interior in natural daylight, wouldn't it?! As it's something not everyone gets to see, I thought I'd share it here. Work to get the interior as accurate as possible is an ongoing process.

After boarding the aircraft and turning right like all good plebs (I know my place!), I started at the Boulton Paul rear turret
Moving forward to the mid-upper turret, currently turned 90 degrees to port

Moving forward, a view from the rear spar through the crew rest area, to the cockpit beyond
Moving forward again, looking forward from next to the Flight Engineer's position
Flight Engineer's position, astrodome above
The Flight Engineer's panels, one of my bits of COVID lockdown homework for the museum was restoring these and apart from one tiny error (jaffa cake if you can spot it!) I'm very proud of these
Moving forward to the cockpit
The view to port, dominated by 2 Bristol Hercules engines
A wider angle, out over the wing
t'other side, looking out of the starboard window
Then descending the walkway at the starboard side of the nose, past the Wireless Op's position to the Nav and Bomb Aimers' section
Part of the Nav's desk, and the Bomb Aimer's couch and Lewis gun
The view out of the nose, from one HP heavy to another!
Elvington's watch office, as seen from a Halifax
Heading back aft (it was red hot in there, time to get out!) looking up at the cockpit from next to the W/Op's position
Looking aft from next to the Flight Engineer's position. Batteries, ration flask and emergency hyd pump among the obvious equipment in the foreground
To the roof escape hatch just forward of the mid-upper turret

And then out for some fresh air! I hope you've enjoyed this look round the old girl; it's a privilege to share hangar space with, let alone climb aboard and occasionally work on, this machine.
Meteor WS788/ Chippy WK640 Restoration Project, YAM
Shack WR963, Coventry
Other types meddled with by request!

iainpeden

Re: Handley Page Halifax at YAM; A Closer Look...

Post by iainpeden »

Thanks Blue 2 - she looks ready to push the starter buttons and go. Having been inside a Lancaster your photos give the impression the Halifax is more roomy but I suspect that that is just photo perspective.
is the "couch" underneath the upper escape hatch an accurate fitting or did you just sneak it in to have a quiet 5 minutes away from the Meteor?
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Having been in both types, the Halifax is far roomier inside! Much easier to move around, certainly in the fuselage.
It is standard fit, not my secret napping space honest!
Shack WR963, Coventry

Mike

Post by Mike »

Is the couch not where the bomb bay would have been on a Halifax?

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

No, the bomb bay is under that. In the shot looking aft down the fuselage from the Engineer's station, before the mid upper turret you can see the end of the bomb bay.
Shack WR963, Coventry

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Excellent shots there Graham, mind if I add these to my Modelling Reference Library?

The old girl looks like she is in need of a repaint soon, while I also seem to remember reading, possibly on the old Flypast forum, that due to the way that she had been put together, YAM felt that the fuselage wasn't considered safe enough, to allow internal tours, is there any truth in that?

I'm guessing not, as she does get moved about quite frequently and I'd have thought that moving the airframe, would place additional stress on the airframe!
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

aviationanoraks

Post by aviationanoraks »

So glad you have posted these.
Having read the book ‘Home is the Halifax’ I have always hoped to see more images of the interior.
The aircraft is a wonderful tribute to the crews who flew them.

Thank you.

Varkfan

Post by Varkfan »

Fascinating post, I never realised that there were no dual controls in a Halifax cockpit (no co pilot?) :open_mouth:

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Tony, yes, feel free. I had in my mind that they would be of use to fellow modellers! She does need a bit of a tidy but she's not doing too bad. Near permanently living indoors does her the world of good!
She's plenty solid enough, and tours on board are not only available but very popular! Booked through the YAM website I believe.
AA, Varkfan, thanks, glad you like the post! I'm not sure if dual controls could be retrofitted like in the Lanc or not...
Shack WR963, Coventry

Mike

Post by Mike »

Most of the British bombers had a single pilot, an exceprion being the Stirling, which had two. The BBMF Lancaster was converted postwar to allow for two pilots.

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

The Lanc conversion isn't just a BBMF mod. It was a stock bolt on/off kit which could be used on any Lanc, or Lincoln for that matter as they were all built provisioned for it! Some of the HCU Lancs for example would have it fitted.
Shack WR963, Coventry

Archer

Post by Archer »

Blue_2 wrote:
Wed 15 May 2024, 8:16 am
The Flight Engineer's panels, one of my bits of COVID lockdown homework for the museum was restoring these and apart from one tiny error (jaffa cake if you can spot it!) I'm very proud of these
I love a challenge.... are the port and starboard captions mixed up for the contents gauges?

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Are there no Tanks Nos 2?