Canon Software on Windows

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
ShutterPlane

Canon Software on Windows

Post by ShutterPlane »

Hello chaps, bit of an issue which I've been trying to figure out, but I can't.

My old Windows 7 computer which I love is out of disk space, until I can sort that out, I thought I'd save the images on the networked drive, but Zoom Browser EX just won't see the network drive for some reason......

So I went to my W10 computer which isn't really set up for anything to do with photos, but I could use it to transfer photos. Zoom Browser EX isn't available anymore, but Image Browser EX is, but won't work on W10....

So, try EOS Utility, open it, it just sits there doing nothing.

Ok, so what can I do now?

I must add, that I know I can copy the files directly in Explorer, but I don't want to. I want the use of downloading image where dated subfolders are created and already imported images are omitted.

Thanks for any help!
Collecting Avometers

Lighning Fan

Re: Canon Software on Windows

Post by Lighning Fan »

Are you using the correct version of EOS Utility for your OS ?

ShutterPlane

Post by ShutterPlane »

Yes, the Canon website lists the OS and the version which is compatible. It installed, I can open it, but it goes no further than 'connect an EOS camera'.
Collecting Avometers

Lighning Fan

Post by Lighning Fan »

My only other suggestion if you haven't tried it is to uninstall and then reinstall EOS utility in case it got corrupted

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

ShutterPlane wrote:
Wed 15 May 2024, 3:43 pm
Yes, the Canon website lists the OS and the version which is compatible. It installed, I can open it, but it goes no further than 'connect an EOS camera'.
Both EOS Utility version 2 and version 3 are still available. v2 only works with older cameras and v3 only works with newer models. Can't remember exactly where the line is drawn! In theory you can have both on the same computer (if you need to) but I have know that to cause problems.

It should open automatically when you plug the camera in and switch it on.

Are you sure you have downloaded the correct one?

ShutterPlane

Post by ShutterPlane »

I'll try and download V2 and see if that helps, it may well be the case that I have v3 and therefore having compatibility issues.
Collecting Avometers

ShutterPlane

Post by ShutterPlane »

I've taken a look, I can't download version 2, I can only download updates from the Canon website, so looks like it's a no go.

I really am stuck.
Collecting Avometers

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Have you tried using a card reader instead of trying to download straight from the camera?.
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

ShutterPlane

Post by ShutterPlane »

Yes I tried that too, but it didn't work either.

Though I have thought of something, in a box in the loft I have the installation CD of Zoom Browser EX which came with both of my cameras, so what I could do is install W7 on my newer computer, but inside a virtual machine like VM Box (I think EOS utility is only compatible with my 1Ds Mk3 anyway and not the 5D).

A bit long winded, I know, but it's a way of keeping going with older cameras. Yes the cameras are old, but a new version of these aren't cheap and not really necessary, but would be nice I suppose!
Collecting Avometers

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

ShutterPlane wrote:
Sun 19 May 2024, 4:59 pm
Yes I tried that too, but it didn't work either.

Though I have thought of something, in a box in the loft I have the installation CD of Zoom Browser EX which came with both of my cameras, so what I could do is install W7 on my newer computer, but inside a virtual machine like VM Box (I think EOS utility is only compatible with my 1Ds Mk3 anyway and not the 5D).

A bit long winded, I know, but it's a way of keeping going with older cameras. Yes the cameras are old, but a new version of these aren't cheap and not really necessary, but would be nice I suppose!
This seems way OTT if you will forgive me saying so.

Are you sure if you look on the Canon site for the software available for say the 40D, EOS Utility 2 is not available? It certainly was not that long ago.

I have an old 40D which will only work with EOS Utility 2 as well as newer Canon Cameras (6D and 80D) which need EOS Utility 3.

Zoom browser, from what I remember of it, was fairly dreadful!