FRIAT 2024

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
iainpeden

Re: FRIAT 2024

Post by iainpeden »

IIRC (and only done FRIAT every time since 1983) the daily movements sheet are limited to FRIAT and not to the public. Its the checklists which are available from stalls in the showground.

Anyway, sure it will work out, it usually does.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Berf

Post by Berf »

Bodz156 wrote:
Fri 17 May 2024, 11:11 am
Mike wrote:
Fri 17 May 2024, 11:07 am
Where did you used to collect them from in previous years, when the enclosure wasn’t open on Wednesday either?
They had/have merch sellers in P&V, who you handed your vouchers to - no vouchers anymore, so as I say, I assume you just show them your FRIAT pass....
I had this question last year - the sellers had been advised that some FRIAT members would not have vouchers and you simply had to show them your FRIAT ticket - they also noted down your name... I did not get my hands on the vouchers until Friday

Adam the gardener

Post by Adam the gardener »

Berf wrote:
Fri 17 May 2024, 12:24 pm
Bodz156 wrote:
Fri 17 May 2024, 11:11 am
Mike wrote:
Fri 17 May 2024, 11:07 am
Where did you used to collect them from in previous years, when the enclosure wasn’t open on Wednesday either?
They had/have merch sellers in P&V, who you handed your vouchers to - no vouchers anymore, so as I say, I assume you just show them your FRIAT pass....
I had this question last year - the sellers had been advised that some FRIAT members would not have vouchers and you simply had to show them your FRIAT ticket - they also noted down your name... I did not get my hands on the vouchers until Friday
That will be fun as this year (for the first
time) my name is on both mine and my friend's passes as I was the applicant/payee.

Sneezy24

Post by Sneezy24 »

It does state on the sheet that comes with the lanyard that information will be posted on the FRIAT members area of the website, including 'what is included with your ticket' - and presumably how to claim what comes with the ticket.
Anything that flies!

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

I'm surprised you still get a (cheap) lanyard with the pass tbh.

I don't want to be hyper critical, but they asked us for more money and many stumped up the cost.

One would think that benefits would roll on each year (yes, I know, never assume) OR they'd tell you at the point of renewal so you can decide if it's the ticket for you.

Whether intentional or not, there are now questions marks over the Fast Track access, the free gift, and the movement sheets, all perks of FRIAT.

I'm not assuming that we're losing all of the above, but the fact that it's not known what is included in our tickets when we've all already booked them, is surely worrying?

Are they trying to kill off FRIAT or something?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I’m quite sure it’ll work out - now that they’ve harmonised all FRIAT packages into the full whack, perhaps it’s easier to give everyone the same stuff on presentation of a FRIAT pass (which makes things easier tbh)

Though, once again, FRIATers are left with questions about changes that could have been raised at the FRIAT forum.

A simple “we won’t send your vouchers out anymore, but rather you just present your FRIAT pass and you’ll get a copy on the gate” would have stopped the speculation.

That’s on the assumption that they are, indeed, still included in FRIAT, as they ought to be.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Also if it's just on presentation of the pass what's to stop me claiming my free gift from a P&V merch seller, then claiming another each day of being in the FRIAT enclosure?
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

danspuggti

Post by danspuggti »

The show programs & gift would be easy enough to sort as they can have a list of all the seat numbers and just cross you off as you collect your items (and it’ll save on voucher printing costs).
They could do the same for the flying lists but it'd certainly slow everything down each morning (and the P&V stand doing the flying lists would have to have a list of FRIAT seat numbers too).
It'll have to be something like that as like stated in an earlier post the FRIAT passes all have the lead bookers name on them.
Same old sh*t.............just happening on a different day!!!

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

I spoke to Wendy on Friday; she confirmed that FRIAT members just need to show their FRIAT pass to collect their daily flying programmes and the free gift will be issued from the FRIAT marquee using the same methodology. Both are still included in your FRIAT ticket.

Cheers,
Peter

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

RIAT Air Ops wrote:
Sun 19 May 2024, 6:31 pm
I spoke to Wendy on Friday; she confirmed that FRIAT members just need to show their FRIAT pass to collect their daily flying programmes and the free gift will be issued from the FRIAT marquee using the same methodology. Both are still included in your FRIAT ticket.

Cheers,
Peter
Thanks for the reassurance, Peter. Apologies if I was a little dramatic.

Sneezy24

Post by Sneezy24 »

Question ref. parking.
I've not done FRIAT before, I will be doing Thursday, Sat and/or Sun (weather dependent!) and Monday.
Sat/Sun I will be doing the shuttle bus from Swindon (got my tickets).
On Thursday and Monday I assume we use the Blue car park? Ignore the P&V signs on the way in, and head for Blue? I will be coming from M4 westbound so skirting around Swindon.
Anything that flies!

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

Sneezy24 wrote:
Mon 20 May 2024, 9:30 am
Question ref. parking.
I've not done FRIAT before, I will be doing Thursday, Sat and/or Sun (weather dependent!) and Monday.
On Thursday and Monday I assume we use the Blue car park? Ignore the P&V signs on the way in, and head for Blue? I will be coming from M4 westbound so skirting around Swindon.
If you want to use the FRIAT enclosure/grandstand on those days then, yes, Blue Car Park.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

RIAT Air Ops wrote:
Sun 19 May 2024, 6:31 pm

Cheers,
Peter
not going to lie, i much prefer it all being attached to the pass than having to carry additional bits of paper round which always seem to end up lost in a pocket when you actually need them

Sneezy24

Post by Sneezy24 »

Bodz156 wrote:
Mon 20 May 2024, 9:37 am
Sneezy24 wrote:
Mon 20 May 2024, 9:30 am
Question ref. parking.
If you want to use the FRIAT enclosure/grandstand on those days then, yes, Blue Car Park.
Great! Thanks!
Anything that flies!

Sneezy24

Post by Sneezy24 »

Following on from this, there seems to be some confusion as to whether we need car park passes on Thursday/Monday. Not a problem for me on Sat/Sun (shuttle bus), but what about non-show days? I intend being in the grandstand Thurs/Mon, do I just head for blue car park and show my FRIAT pass??
Anything that flies!

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Years back FIAT members got a pass for the car windscreen - which was quite handy for hoodwinking the police that you actually could go down that restricted route!
Last year was the first mention of car park passes. The line was that it was needed for the general public so the number of cars attending could be calculated. They were not deemed necessary for FRIAT members as DBH knew roughly how many of us would be arriving in cars.

Sneezy24

Post by Sneezy24 »

Thanks, I assumed that was the case, but have queried it with Wendy.
Anything that flies!

frank

Post by frank »

I took Wendy’s email as written and as requested asked for parking Wednesday to Monday though I did as her to clarify if this was indeed required as I will be hopping between P&Vs and Blue over the days.
Await response.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Sneezy24 wrote:
Sat 25 May 2024, 5:14 pm
Thanks, I assumed that was the case, but have queried it with Wendy.
would be interesting to see what comes back. we had the same confusion last year

Sneezy24

Post by Sneezy24 »

Sneezy24 wrote:
Sat 25 May 2024, 9:28 am
Following on from this, there seems to be some confusion as to whether we need car park passes on Thursday/Monday. Not a problem for me on Sat/Sun (shuttle bus), but what about non-show days? I intend being in the grandstand Thurs/Mon, do I just head for blue car park and show my FRIAT pass??
From RIAT Customer Enquiries:-

Car Passes are not required for Thursday and Monday.
Anything that flies!

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Which doesn't actually answer the question!
If the fast track lane goes from.blue I will.use green and dontvwant yo be arguing the toss at 6 in the morning

yunglee

Post by yunglee »

Sneezy24 wrote:
Thu 30 May 2024, 4:25 pm
Sneezy24 wrote:
Sat 25 May 2024, 9:28 am
From RIAT Customer Enquiries:-

Car Passes are not required for Thursday and Monday.
I got an email saying this "parking is already included for the Park and View days. Its just the Friday, Saturday and Sunday that we need to know if you required parking". So FRIAT members parking on site on the show days will need a parking pass. Lee
2024 shows: Duxford Summer Air Show, Cosford and RIAT
https://www.flickr.com/photos/leeadc/

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Okay then, I am currently looking through the RIAT website and can find nowhere to obtain a parking pass. Any clues please?

I've tried ringing customer services this morning twice on 01285 713 456 and it just rings out (yes, I am calling inside the office hours they specify on the website).

EDIT - further to add; I've checked back on the three most recent emails I have received from FRIAT and can see nowhere in those as to where to obtain a car park pass from.

From the main website FAQ -
IS PARKING INCLUDED WITH MY TICKET?
If you have purchased a general admission ticket you can also add into the basket with this a car pass for your time here. However, if you have purchased an admission ticket with either the Swindon Shuttle Bus or Cheltenham Park & Ride you will not be able to park at the showground. For these tickets, you will need to park either in Swindon or at Cheltenham racecourse. These bus tickets are only valid for the pedestrian entrance which is not accessible from the car parks.

EDIT 2 - I've been able to book a car park pass by attempting to purchase a general admission ticket. In the basket before checkout, I have deleted the general admission ticket for all three days leaving me with just 3 car park passes across the show weekend. It says it will email the passes to me before the show.

So, what happens when general admission is sold out? Riddle me that RIAT.

--
There'll be an abandoned car if I have to 'argue the toss' at 6am.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

yunglee

Post by yunglee »

I replied to the "FRIAT members update" email on the 24th May, and hence the reply above. That's probably the right way to do it (replying to the email on the 24th May (friat@rafcte.com)) and request car parking passes for Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Lee
2024 shows: Duxford Summer Air Show, Cosford and RIAT
https://www.flickr.com/photos/leeadc/

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

Had a nice email back from the team today regarding car passes for FRIAT on the show days. If you email the team, they will send out the necessary passes. However, they won’t be checking them on the day, it’s used only as a reference to see how many cars they are expecting. Hope this helps.
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripenjetphotos/