RIAT 2024 - discuss most things thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
verreli

Re: RIAT 2024 - discuss most things thread

Post by verreli »

Canberra TT.18 wrote:
Fri 17 May 2024, 7:12 pm
How long did the talentless wannabe journalist talk to the F-35B.....
Just be impressed he understands what all those whistles and screeches mean. Must bring a whole new experience to the hovering display.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

I bought the first ever AFM. Now there's a fact you didn't know you needed in your life.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Tommy wrote:
Fri 17 May 2024, 7:04 pm
Readers of this month’s Air Forces Monthly will find an interview with him...
Well thought questions along with interesting and honest answers. Just a shame it was only 2 pages.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

I don't want to be the Grinch but, others have been told off for being "off topic"
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

verreli

Post by verreli »

The article is about RIAT 2024 so very much 'on-topic'. Even the more generic F-35 article is about a display that is attending RIAT and what to expect in July.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Apologies, didn’t intend to start a discussion; just thought it was relevent to flag a RIAT interview (in response to someone who said they wanted to hear a bit more from Peter), the same way I’d share that interview here if it was done by someone else.

That can probably be the end of it, but wanted to draw people’s attention to it insofar as they’re interested.

Any thoughts/feedback, let me know by DM rather than clogging this thread.

(Jason, the latest issue. Second of the two links you posted).

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

:wink: Autographed copies available in the FRIAT stand on ? between ? and ? ????
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

rdchawk wrote:
Sat 18 May 2024, 9:24 am
I don't want to be the Grinch but, others have been told off for being "off topic"
+1

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

Starflyxxl wrote:
Thu 25 Apr 2024, 11:09 pm
And the static Hellenic F-16s too, have we ever had them purely be on statics? On terms of Zeus though, I'm surprised too see it's not been announced yet, (doesn't mean it isn't coming I'd hope, its my personal faveroute) you would think they would be all pit together in one package if it were to come though.
Guess we'll have to wait for the squedule however.
We specifically asked for F-16s from 335 or 336 Mira on static display from the Hellenic Air Force at RIAT 2024, for their blue colour scheme, as it's something different and I think they look fantastic! As others have suggested, we worked to ensure we didn't have five or six F-16 solo displays in the flying display as part of the F-16 theme, and instead we have focused on building a unique static line-up of many aircraft from across Europe. I'm very pleased with how this strategy has worked out, and the 'Viper Line' is going to be quite the sight come July. I can confirm, that Demo Team Zeus are not expected at RIAT 2024.
capercaillie wrote:
Thu 02 May 2024, 4:10 pm
Apologies, a new leader has emerged, the massive 1991 show had 17 F-16s on static plus 7 on the flightlines.
static Belgian 1, Danish 2, Dutch 7, Norwegian 2, USAF 5 (Torrejon, Ramstein and Spang)
Nice target to try and beat... :thinking:
MiG_Eater wrote:
Thu 09 May 2024, 12:02 pm
Nice update... but of all the Serbian aircraft they could have sent its the CASA that ends up on the list!
Maybe it's the only thing they can send... we're very pleased and grateful to the Serbians for their commitment to attend RIAT 2024 with the C-295MW. Never know, as others have suggested might lead to additional (more exotic) airframes accompanying it in the future?
vulcan57 wrote:
Thu 09 May 2024, 12:07 pm
Austrian AF now declined so no QRA Demo.
Personal view; people should view the Austrian QRA Demonstration from 2022 with the rarity status it deserves as one of those Air Tattoo special one-off participants. I believe it's only been performed outside Austria twice in the last decade. Statistically, it's a rarer RIAT participant that the Black Eagles.
Canberra TT.18 wrote:
Thu 09 May 2024, 2:17 pm
AARDVARK wrote:
Thu 09 May 2024, 1:43 pm
Can i ask, aside from distance , why have the Snowbirds never been to Europe, (or as far as i recall they haven’t, at least in my lifetime)!
I always understood the CT-114 doesn't have the legs to cross the Atlantic. And the wings can't be separated from the aircraft because of the construction so can't be flown in a transporter aircraft.
That's our understanding too.
Tommy wrote:
Thu 16 May 2024, 12:19 pm
Morgangalley wrote:
Thu 16 May 2024, 12:11 pm
But I would have thought some people on here (and everyone on Facebook) would’ve thought they would have been a flying update after 4 weeks.
…would they?
At any event, you can’t think something into existence. If stuff isn’t there to confirm, stuff isn’t there to confirm. Again, it’s the time of year where statics get confirmed.
I find it a bit boring that people might value, say, a flying Italian M-346 over a rare last chance Lithuanian Mi-8T, or Portuguese F-16s for the first time in 18 years. Idk. Perhaps I’m in a minority.
I can assure everyone there's plenty more flying display participants to come, just waiting on paperwork before we list them online. I do feel some of the comments about 'too many statics' have short memories, as there's already a plethora of flying display items announced on the website, including Spanish Harrier, Canadian Hornet & Patrouille Suisse. Also it's not like we've been announcing static Chipmunks and Bulldogs in recent weeks... Lithuanian Hip & Portuguese Vipers haven't been seen at Fairford for nearly 20 years!
capercaillie wrote:
Thu 16 May 2024, 12:21 pm
boff180 wrote:
Thu 16 May 2024, 12:16 pm
And Caper - you have your Vinka :-)
Yes, very much a welcome surprise. Nice work. :star_struck:
We aim to please! :innocent: Going to be a long old flight for them, but hopefully an enjoyable adventure.
OscarM wrote:
Fri 17 May 2024, 10:34 am
Btw: it's long time we had some information/post from Peter (RIAT AirOps). Guess he is extremely busy with the preparations. Would be nice to hear from him again (maybe after the show). Always nice, if possible, to get some inside information for example: how serious was India this year. Can imagine that not all the info could be shared with us and, of course, that wouldn't be a problem but if it could be shared it would be nice to hear.
For now: great work by DBH and all the volunteers! :clap: :clap: :clap:
The team and I are just a tad busy at the moment... :sweat_smile:

Only 60 days until those first aircraft land, lots of work to be done!

Cheers,
Peter

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

👍 Cheers for the update, might keep a few quiet (for now!) Roll on July.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Thanks for the update, Peter. Really looking forward to the show again. Just hoping any umbrellas needed this year are to block the sun from roasting us lol.
Last edited by jasonT1981 on Sat 18 May 2024, 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AirshowsNI
2024 shows - Duxford D-Day (both days) Cosford, Armed Forces Day NI, RIAT (3 days) Portrush & Duxford BoB

JMC

Post by JMC »

I’m sure someone posted on here recently that the F-35 demo team have a RIAT 24 patch, but didn’t include a link, anyone know anything about this?

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Which F35 demo? The UK one or the USAF one?

JMC

Post by JMC »

Also just seen the post from Peter. Thank you!

JMC

Post by JMC »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Sat 18 May 2024, 11:37 pm
The USAF one. I’m 99.5% someone posted it, but can’t find the post (in other words i’m too tired to go rummaging through the threads)

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

JMC wrote:
Sat 18 May 2024, 11:39 pm
bobby 1211 wrote:
Sat 18 May 2024, 11:37 pm
The USAF one. I’m 99.5% someone posted it, but can’t find the post (in other words i’m too tired to go rummaging through the threads)
this is the post I assume
AARDVARK wrote:
Thu 16 May 2024, 1:00 pm
Nice update with Portuguese F16,s , been a while..

Oddly I stumbled on a patch on a U.S site saying F35 RIAT 24, not to read anything into that i guess, especially as similar patch was made for last year!

My only niggles I have at present is the lack of anything being announced for the flying display for a number of weeks now, especially as we are not being graced with the Rafale or Mirages from the French this year, hoping the Polish F16 comes thru at least!

USAF F35 is at the Cold Lake Canada show RIAT weekend though as part of the heritage flight.

Maybe a possible (not confirmed) static USAF F35 crew bringing patches?
AirshowsNI
2024 shows - Duxford D-Day (both days) Cosford, Armed Forces Day NI, RIAT (3 days) Portrush & Duxford BoB

Jakevulcan

Post by Jakevulcan »

Great to hear from you Peter, you and the team are doing a great job as usual and its looking to be shaping up to be another great year as always.

CWS

Post by CWS »

Yep appreciate any comments from Peter , it’s not expected but appreciated! 2 months to go and counting down the days
Airshows 2024 - Duxford VE day, Duxford Summer show, RIAT, Duxford The Americans, Eastbourne, Miramar, Pacific Airshow

linco33

Post by linco33 »

This is my first ever RIAT, and I've gone for a FRIAT package, so I'm really looking forward to it. So many aircraft I've not seen before. My last airshow was Cosford 2019.

I've received my FRIAT lanyard in the post which I didn't think I was getting. I'm struggling to confirm which parking colour we use, blue, is that correct? I'm traveling down from the north early on Thursday morning so don't want to spend too much time in the que. Any tips on this front? Thanks.
80D/M6 MkII, 70-200f4/100-400MkII/18-135/15-45/10-18/50/22mm

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Linco33
Welcome and make sure you put your seat number into the FRIAT stand spreadsheet when it appears on here. Mine is H78 if you want to say hello.

On show days (Fri-Sun)you can park in any of the red, blue or green carparks; blue is the one at the centre of the showground and is the one to use for Thursday and Monday. Blue is the car park from which the fast-track FRIAT queue runs - that's assuming it happens this year as the police are putting up objections (and that will be and is being a very big bone of contention.) Depending on where you are coming from will depend on specific routes in and your route in on show days will also depend on where you are staying. PM me with those details and I'll go into more detail.

linco33

Post by linco33 »

Thanks very much. I'm G36. I'll drop you a PM.
80D/M6 MkII, 70-200f4/100-400MkII/18-135/15-45/10-18/50/22mm

NeilDC

Post by NeilDC »

Photography Questions

I'll be shooting from the FRIAT grandstand (D186 give us a wave) and I'll be using a Sony 200-600 on FF camera. Will this be enough reach for decent close-ups? Also, I've never shot video at something like this, so if anyone can pass on some advice for video settings and how they differ between prop and jet a/c I'd be really grateful.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

There’s a section on Fighter Control under photography q and a entitled Shutter priority vs Manual you might find useful.

OscarM

Post by OscarM »

Thank you for getting back with us Peter and thank you for taking you're time to post! Really appreciate this! :punch_tone2: We all can imagine you and you're team are extremely busy so don't feel obliagted to post and/or react.

Looking forward to all the highlights next July. There are quite a lot if you ask me. It will be my 23rd (R)IAT, coming from Holland, and every year it's a great joy to enter the showground and seeing all those fantastic and exotic aircraft. Great work! Every year again! :clap_tone2:

Morgangalley

Post by Morgangalley »

100% Thankyou Peter. Some great quality in this years flying display so far. And the static has some very tidy highlights in there. I look forward to the future flying and static updates.