RAF Display North America

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
aceyone

RAF Display North America

Post by aceyone »

Seeing as an RAF Typhoon is set to display in Canada next month,I wondered if an RAF Fast jet has ever dispayed over the pond ( inc Canada ) before ?
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

CJS

Re: RAF Display North America

Post by CJS »

That's a good question, which for once Google doesn't answer immediately!!

It seems almost unbelievable if it's never happened?
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I’ve never seen one before in the states or one advertised but I’m sure it’s happened. I’ve seen RAF fast jets on static though (Typhoon Miramar 2010, Typhoon Nellis 2014, F-35B Edwards 2022) and I saw the Army Air Corps Apache solo display at El Centro in 2015

verreli

Post by verreli »

Is a Hawk T Mk1 a fast jet?

CJS

Post by CJS »

verreli wrote:
Sun 19 May 2024, 2:22 pm
Is a Hawk T Mk1 a fast jet?
It's certainly a 'fast' jet, whether it's a 'fast jet' or not though I'm not sure. How slow is 'fast'? I guess that's the question... :upside_down: :thinking:
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Mach 0.88 level and 1.15 in a shallow dive - certainly seem fast if most of us were allowed to play!
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

aceyone wrote:
Sun 19 May 2024, 10:05 am
Seeing as an RAF Typhoon is set to display in Canada next month,I wondered if an RAF Fast jet has ever dispayed over the pond ( inc Canada ) before ?
Lightnings did in 1968 at Toronto Airshow.

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

For clarification I meant a fast jet ( afterburning ) solo display !

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

GeeRam wrote:
Sun 19 May 2024, 2:47 pm
aceyone wrote:
Sun 19 May 2024, 10:05 am
Lightnings did in 1968 at Toronto Airshow.
Thanks for that !

st24

Post by st24 »

4x Tornado F3 carried out a world tour in October 1988, heading to the far east and the Aussie bicentennial show. They came back via the states though their only display was at the Harrisburg air show. The display crew (Grundy/Parker) flew a 29Sqn jet. I also have a dim distant memory of a GR1 displaying in Canada.
As said, there have been several static displays, usually coinciding with a Flag or other exercise; 2 xGR1 plus VC10 support were at Nellis in 1997 for the USAF anniversary show for instance. Navy carrier borne SHARs, Phantoms, Buccs and Gannets have all appeared at East Coast USN shows - Cecil Field, Jacksonville and Mayport amongst others.
Vulcans were regular attenders as they performed solo Lone Ranger jaunts and other exercises and bombing competitions, Nimrods too. Tragically both types were fatally lost during air show appearances in North America (Glenview 1978 and Lake Toronto 1995 respectively)
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Berf

Post by Berf »

The Harrier landing in New York in 1969 Transatlantic Race I guess almost counts (there appears to be a grandstand with people in it in one picture)! This article shows https://www.warhistoryonline.com/guest- ... rrier.html is quite interesting. The number of rules and regulations 'overcome' or ignored would never happen in today's PC world let alone the logistics.

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

st24 wrote:
Tue 21 May 2024, 9:35 pm
4x Tornado F3 carried out a world tour in October 1988, heading to the far east and the Aussie bicentennial show. They came back via the states though their only display was at the Harrisburg air show. The display crew (Grundy/Parker) flew a 29Sqn jet. I also have a dim distant memory of a GR1 displaying in Canada.
As said, there have been several static displays, usually coinciding with a Flag or other exercise; 2 xGR1 plus VC10 support were at Nellis in 1997 for the USAF anniversary show for instance. Navy carrier borne SHARs, Phantoms, Buccs and Gannets have all appeared at East Coast USN shows - Cecil Field, Jacksonville and Mayport amongst others.
Vulcans were regular attenders as they performed solo Lone Ranger jaunts and other exercises and bombing competitions, Nimrods too. Tragically both types were fatally lost during air show appearances in North America (Glenview 1978 and Lake Toronto 1995 respectively)
Thanks very much much for that info,I well remember Fred Grundy and his F3 displays !

NeilPearson

Post by NeilPearson »

Yeah, RAF fast jets have definitely crossed the pond for displays in North America before.