North Weald Diary 2024

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

North Weald Diary 2024

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Been a while, but two visits in the last week so might as well start one.

Sunday 19th May

Gnats were active last Sunday, so popped over to see them but sadly the second flight was scrubbed so only caught G-MOUR taxiing back.

"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Ryan.

Re: North Weald Diary 2024

Post by Ryan. »

The Gnat is such a beautiful little aeroplane, looks fantastic in that Yellowjacks scheme too. Wish I saw more of it!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Saturday 25th May:

Originally planned to visit Shuttleworth tomorrow for the Dakotas but thinking about it again yesterday, there wasn't any need as they were due to depart North Weald on Saturday morning so the market side of the airfield would be open.

Turned out to be much better than I'd hoped for, as Gnat G-FRCE was also active, and thanks to the very kind hospitality of the airfield team, I was driven over to the Dakotas in the fuel tanker for a few minutes walkabout with the camera. Huge thanks to the tanker driver, nice to know that there are still *some* friendly people on the team at North Weald.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Lovely shots with stonking light..

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

An excellent set of photos with plenty of sunshine by the looks of things.

Good to see some photos of the Gnats out and about - does G-FRCE fly much? I haven't seen many photos of it at all since it returned to the skies in 2021.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Great selection of shots from the best side & your 'lucky' trip to the static aircraft. Well-used opportunity in cracking weather.
I'm intrigued by shot 10 of Pegasus KP220 getting airborne as I've seen no reports of it going to Old Warden?
Maybe as it's got cargo doors the mission was to collect the replacement engine for 'Drag 'em Oot' ? :wink: :thinking:
Hoping to see more of the Gnats this year as the Vampire is gonna be u/s all Season.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

It’s the first time I’ve seen G-FRCE flying up close, but it has flown over me on my lunch breaks for the last two Fridays so I know it’s been more active. I saw on Instagram yesterday that they flew four sorties in it. I don’t think it is part of the Gnat Display Team though, it was restored in another hangar on another part of the airfield with their assistance.

KP220 left on its own about 45 minutes after the D-Day Squadron but ended up at Manston. I didn’t have the scanner on so i just assumed it was off to join the others at OW.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

A few more edits from a great Saturday at the local...

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Saturday 8th June:

Not too much going on. Couple of the Daks were about but no photos of those, and Lynx G-NCKS stopped by for a couple of hours before heading out to Duxford. No light and feeling very cold in the wind. June, apparently...