RIAT 2024 - discuss most things thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Mr Benn

Re: RIAT 2024 - discuss most things thread

Post by Mr Benn »

Danhaz wrote:
Fri 31 May 2024, 6:17 pm
Planes TV currently streaming at Duxford have just showed their teaser for RIAT24 and have mentioned that B52s will be on static at RIAT again this year?!
Please dont tease me ! Ive never seen a B52 fly, and along with the B2 its the 2x planes Id love most to see.
Which brings me to a question Ive always wanted to ask. As an example, Im guessing majority of the spectators would love to see a B52 flypast, more than on static. So could it take off, circle and land , if its not allowed to do a 'display' as such ? And then park up somewhere else other than the static area ?

Luke-84

Post by Luke-84 »

Pretty much what it did last year.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Mr Benn wrote:
Sun 02 Jun 2024, 5:38 pm
Danhaz wrote:
Planes TV currently streaming at Duxford have just showed their teaser for RIAT24 and have mentioned that B52s will be on static at RIAT again this year?!
Please dont tease me ! Ive never seen a B52 fly, and along with the B2 its the 2x planes Id love most to see.
Which brings me to a question Ive always wanted to ask. As an example, Im guessing majority of the spectators would love to see a B52 flypast, more than on static. So could it take off, circle and land , if its not allowed to do a 'display' as such ? And then park up somewhere else other than the static area ?
Pretty much what happened with last year's b52 flypast. Great to see though. Took off, circled fairford for an hour, flypast and landed
AirshowsNI
2024 shows - Duxford D-Day (both days) Cosford, Armed Forces Day NI, RIAT (3 days) Portrush & Duxford BoB

CJS

Post by CJS »

There have been areas at the east and West end of the showground where live aircraft have been available to view although not as close up as the regular static park. Flying display fighters for example are often parked at the far west end and can be viewed from c.20 metres or so I would guess.

So in short yes, it's possible. I've seen the Vulcan in the East end area too (I think) so larger aircraft have been included in this way in the past at least.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

JMC

Post by JMC »

Tbh, take off aside, the B-52 last year was a let down.

Took off, circled north of Fairford for about 3 hours, done 2 very high passes which were not one after the other and that was it.

As much as it was lovely to see it, it’s no show on Saturday and meh appearance on Sunday hasn’t really got me chomping at the bit for it to come back in the flying display.

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

Yep, take-off & landing aside I've always struggled to understand the clamour to have a flying B-52. It makes plenty of noise, but it's always high, straight and level & blink-and-you-miss-it....because that's basically all it can do at a public show in the UK. 🤷‍♂️

Seeing 2 arrive last year was great, but they could both have been static and not detracted from my enjoyment of the event....

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Bodz156 wrote:
Sun 02 Jun 2024, 6:29 pm
Yep, take-off & landing aside I've always struggled to understand the clamour to have a flying B-52. It makes plenty of noise, but it's always high, straight and level & blink-and-you-miss-it....because that's basically all it can do at a public show in the UK. 🤷‍♂️

Seeing 2 arrive last year was great, but they could both have been static and not detracted from my enjoyment of the event....
The flypasts were better when it was alternate with the b1b.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Mr Benn wrote:
Sun 02 Jun 2024, 5:38 pm
Danhaz wrote:
TBH if the Global Strike Command send the B-52 only on static display this year, I will feel a bit underwhelmed as I am still hoping to see it in the air some day. Also the B-1B/B-2 have been a much rarer sight over the last few years, so I was hoping for one of them to attend instead. At least the BUFF crew last year allowed the public to go into the bomb bay, which was fantastic, I am hoping they will do the same this year (or even allow people in the cockpit :D), if they are confirmed ofc.
Last edited by bobby 1211 on Sun 02 Jun 2024, 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Love to see the B52 flying even if it is 'just' a flypast. As for circling 'for about three hours' - just maybe it was on a training exercise - one way of getting around US aircraft not attending airshows unless they are involved in an operational task...

and does a B52 it really do much more at a US airshow? - not at most of the recent show videos I have seen nor has the B2 (and you don't even get the smoke with that)

JMC

Post by JMC »

I remember in 2007/09/10 it was a lot slower and faster!

Also, last year I cut my head on the B-52, they had like a cargo hold in the bombay area and I managed to clip myself on the corner of it!

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Polish F-16 Tiger demo have a new routine which involves a very similar take-off to what the USAF F-16 demo did in 2019.

JMC

Post by JMC »

Footage for anyone who's interested.

Jesus christ!

gano54

Post by gano54 »

NeilDC wrote:
Sun 02 Jun 2024, 1:12 pm
Time for a couple of technical questions I think. I'll be residing in the FRIAT enclosure and I was wondering about lens length. I have picked up a nice used Sony 200-600 on a FF A7iii; is this a useful range for the flying display or overkill? Also, I've seen people talking about ear plugs. I've been to airshows for years and not felt the need, but is the runway / display line closer at RIAT? Are they recommended or even necessary? Thank you!
I think this is a very good focal range. The wide end is good for teams and bigger planes, while as you get closer to 600 it obviously becomes better for individual planes. I used to shoot with a 150-600, and always found the ability to zoom extremely helpful. There are times I wished I had something wider, or something longer, but usually this covers it. Lately I found myself using the 400-500mm range quite a lot, as that allows for a "safer" shot I can crop later. All of these said, if I were to choose another lens to complement a 200-600 it would be something wider, maybe a 24-70 or similar, for teams and statics.

CJS

Post by CJS »

JMC wrote:
Sun 02 Jun 2024, 8:01 pm
Well make your mind up 🤣

The B-1b, now that was a proper display 😎🤯

Last one in 2007 I believe, and I'm very glad I managed to see it!
Last edited by CJS on Mon 03 Jun 2024, 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

NeilDC

Post by NeilDC »

gano54 wrote:
Mon 03 Jun 2024, 12:38 am
NeilDC wrote:
Time for a couple of technical questions I think. I'll be residing in the FRIAT enclosure and I was wondering about lens length. I have picked up a nice used Sony 200-600 on a FF A7iii; is this a useful range for the flying display or overkill? Also, I've seen people talking about ear plugs. I've been to airshows for years and not felt the need, but is the runway / display line closer at RIAT? Are they recommended or even necessary? Thank you!
I think this is a very good focal range. The wide end is good for teams and bigger planes, while as you get closer to 600 it obviously becomes better for individual planes. I used to shoot with a 150-600, and always found the ability to zoom extremely helpful. There are times I wished I had something wider, or something longer, but usually this covers it. Lately I found myself using the 400-500mm range quite a lot, as that allows for a "safer" shot I can crop later. All of these said, if I were to choose another lens to complement a 200-600 it would be something wider, maybe a 24-70 or similar, for teams and statics.
That's great, thank you. All I have to do now is build my biceps before July :-) I also have the 24-150 as a walk around lens, so I guess that'll be about right for the static.

NeilDC

Post by NeilDC »

iainpeden wrote:
Sun 02 Jun 2024, 4:29 pm
Also, it’s hard to take decent pictures with your fingers in your ears. :wink:
Haha, yeah, indeed.

NeilDC

Post by NeilDC »

RAF4EVER wrote:
Sun 02 Jun 2024, 3:54 pm
NeilDC wrote:
Reference ear protection,I would suggest you take ear plugs/defenders,as
once your hearing is gone, it's gone, never to come back.

Spent most of my working life around aircraft and always used ear protection.
Good call, thanks

georgemac

Post by georgemac »

The last time a b1 was listed to display was the great was out of 2008 .2007 was the last time it displayed , performed a fast pass and roll on the saturday .b52s used to fly lower , but still only make a few passes , the b2 a few years back flew from America ,stayed in the hold for ages ,then made a single pass with two f15,s .

anpe

Post by anpe »

have been attending with my eldest Grandson for a number of years, last year took also took the youngest ( now 7 ) on the Friday as a taster, who loved it apart from nearly drowning in the rain, and drove back to Leicester, and then returned on the Saturday morning so this year have planned to take them both for the Sat & Sun and camping over from Friday, can anybody advise as to the timings on when the one way traffic for the exit on Saturday, reverts back to normal, in case I need to take him home and then return to the campsite on Saturday evening

Morgangalley

Post by Morgangalley »

JMC wrote:
Sun 02 Jun 2024, 10:36 pm

Footage for anyone who's interested.

Jesus christ!
I watched it the other day, could be a contender for best solo jet demo. The quality in the F-16 displays this year are incredible. Soloturk danish and polish. All great

JMC

Post by JMC »

CJS wrote:
Mon 03 Jun 2024, 6:34 am
JMC wrote:
Sun 02 Jun 2024, 8:01 pm
Well make your mind up 🤣
Oops! I meant lower hahaha

JMC

Post by JMC »

Polish F-16 looks a fantastic display.

Gone up a notch on my things I can’t wait to see.

It was only a few years back the display was average, kind of like Zeus! It has improved tenfold!

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

anpe wrote:
Mon 03 Jun 2024, 7:42 am
have been attending with my eldest Grandson for a number of years, last year took also took the youngest ( now 7 ) on the Friday as a taster, who loved it apart from nearly drowning in the rain, and drove back to Leicester, and then returned on the Saturday morning so this year have planned to take them both for the Sat & Sun and camping over from Friday, can anybody advise as to the timings on when the one way traffic for the exit on Saturday, reverts back to normal, in case I need to take him home and then return to the campsite on Saturday evening
You should be clear to get out from about 3 pm, but definitely by 4. Slightly depends on which car park you are in.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

anpe

Post by anpe »

Thanks for the response, however the question was, at what time does the traffic change from being a one way system away from FFD, to allow us to return to the campsite

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Changes about 3.
Depends on which campsite because if you are down near Marston Mersey and in blue car park there’s a 70/30 chance you will be sent out via Kempsford to Swindon and have to come north again.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)