All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Gregson

Re: RIAT 2024 - discuss most things thread

Post by Gregson »

JMC wrote:
Thu 06 Jun 2024, 5:54 pm
CJS wrote:
Thu 06 Jun 2024, 5:44 pm
Am I the only one who isn't especially bothered about special schemes on flying display aircraft?

On the static assets I like to see the variety - the Moroccan F-16 camo for example (although I do realise that's operational rather than special) or the special tail Tonkas from a few years ago.

But in the air I'm really not fussed.

Maybe I'm in a minority there, I dunno 🤷‍♂️
You’re not into photography are ya?
Not sure why "being into photography" has any relevance, I am and I want to see operational schemes, not specials thank you.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

For me it’s all very vibes-based.

For stuff that’s quite rare, I’d like an operational scheme. For more standard stuff, specials are fab. Por ejemplo; this year a standard grey Swiss F-5 would be tops. Whereas those German Tiger/Anniversary specials would also be tops.

Depends on context, what the machine is, how often it’s seen etc. Best of all worlds is to have one of each, if that’s available.

Plus the special scheme itself. Some of them are awesome, some are interesting but don’t really work, some are just downright gaudy. The Greek F-4s in 2016 with the cartoonish droptanks were a little bit distracting from the otherwise lovely and dirty-looking Phantoms.

All entirely context/vibes-based. And highly subjective.

Peregrine

Post by Peregrine »

I tend to prefer more operational schemes, I'll make exceptions for a special few tasteful examples, but in general I'd much rather photograph a military aircraft looking like a military aircraft doing it's real job. That's just my take on it though...

AndyJohn68

Post by AndyJohn68 »

I'm not surprised people on here are anti the big screens, but everyone here is an enthusiast. If you an ordinary punter having a family day out then I would think the screens will be seen as a positive.

Morgangalley

Post by Morgangalley »

I like a variety, for example in the flying display I wouldn’t want just operational schemes or just special schemes. Especially for types that are to appear multiple times in the flying. I like a mix, like half the fast jets have specials half don’t. With static, I agree with Tom! Rare stuff like the Spanish F-5s/french mirages/Turkish phantoms I’d rather see in operational schemes but more frequently seen statics I like special schemes. Like when we had the d-day (I think it was d-day) f-16B from Norway and the Dannebrog f-16 from Denmark both on static at RIAT 2019. But the special schemes we are due to see in this years flying display are top notch. Especially that danish f-16.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

AndyJohn68 wrote:
Fri 07 Jun 2024, 10:53 am
I'm not surprised people on here are anti the big screens, but everyone here is an enthusiast. If you an ordinary punter having a family day out then I would think the screens will be seen as a positive.
Agree. And it’s not a new idea. Paul Bowen famously concentrated on it in Hurley’s excellent “Airshow” book re the 1998(?) show.

That book is highly recommended, by the way.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

It's not the first time they've had big screens though.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

RichPittman

Post by RichPittman »

One normal and one special job is a good un.

No pairs take off and landings and no taxying close together for heat haze and everyone will be happy 😃
Always remember "If you cannot turn tight...you cannot fight!"

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

German Typhoon demo did a practice on the 31st of May, using a special tail jet.
Not sure if they will use this airframe throughout the season.

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

Gregson wrote:
Fri 07 Jun 2024, 10:16 am
CJS wrote:
Am I the only one who isn't especially bothered about special schemes on flying display aircraft?

On the static assets I like to see the variety - the Moroccan F-16 camo for example (although I do realise that's operational rather than special) or the special tail Tonkas from a few years ago.

I will join you in the minority, however I will go further and include static items. I would much rather see operational jets in full unit marks any day of the week than special schemes, especially those ridiculous "RIAT" ones applied to the Spanish Harriers, Turkish F-4s etc. in recent years plus the Pakistan C-130 and P-3 from a few years back. You can keep your vinyl wraps, give me bog-standard markings please.
I'm the total opposite to that - if a squadron is coming & they have a special scheme I always hope for that. I don't see enough of any of these machines to get multiple chances at seeing them. They can keep the standard grey grey grey stuff for exercises & military ops is how I see it, at a public air show I'd also expect they'd want to show off the effort their teams have gone to on the paint/vinyl wraps.... #EachToTheirOwn

skyryze31

Post by skyryze31 »

Hi all, first post here so hopefully I'm in the right thread.
A couple of questions for the more initiated from a second-time RIAT goer. Last year was enjoyable but travel times and delays meant I missed the chance to see a fair bit of the flying and almost all of the static displays, so this year booked a hotel the night before in Oxford. I'll be on the red route, so in terms of getting in and beating the worst of the queues what sort of time is best to set off? Is 6:30 a fair bet?

Last year I took my camera to the public Grandstands but I lost a lot of shots because my kit (D3200 and a 300mm telephoto) just didn't have the reach to make the most of the stands (plus to a total newbie panning felt impossible packed together in those seats). With that in mind, this year I'm planning on either braving the unenclosed flightline or forking out the extra for the Viewing Village Garden as well as renting a 500mm telephoto. Would be great to hear from anyone who has used the Viewing Village and can comment on how suitable it is for the newer photographer (and from anyone who brawls their way to the normal flightline!)

2024 is shaping up to be fantastic - F-15QA/EX was my absolute dream display! Fingers crossed for the last announcements yet to come, and that I have time on the day to poach a patch from the E-3 crew...

JMC

Post by JMC »

Gregson wrote:
Fri 07 Jun 2024, 10:17 am
JMC wrote:
Thu 06 Jun 2024, 5:54 pm
CJS wrote:

You’re not into photography are ya?
Not sure why "being into photography" has any relevance, I am and I want to see operational schemes, not specials thank you.
I don’t do photography anymore, but from grey jet > grey sky is harder to shoot than say a red jet against one. Also grey on grey don’t make for the most stand out images. Another reason is because say the whole fleet is painted grey and there’s only one that’s in a special scheme, a majority will always want to see the one that’s a one off (always likely to be repainted) and it’ll be one for the picture album!

It surely depends on the scheme though right? As some that are ‘specials’ are painted in ex-operational schemes.

Danhaz

Post by Danhaz »

skyryze31 wrote:
Fri 07 Jun 2024, 12:33 pm
A couple of questions for the more initiated from a second-time RIAT goer. Last year was enjoyable but travel times and delays meant I missed the chance to see a fair bit of the flying and almost all of the static displays, so this year booked a hotel the night before in Oxford. I'll be on the red route, so in terms of getting in and beating the worst of the queues what sort of time is best to set off? Is 6:30 a fair bet?

Last year I took my camera to the public Grandstands but I lost a lot of shots because my kit (D3200 and a 300mm telephoto) just didn't have the reach to make the most of the stands (plus to a total newbie panning felt impossible packed together in those seats). With that in mind, this year I'm planning on either braving the unenclosed flightline or forking out the extra for the Viewing Village Garden as well as renting a 500mm telephoto. Would be great to hear from anyone who has used the Viewing Village and can comment on how suitable it is for the newer photographer (and from anyone who brawls their way to the normal flightline!)

2024 is shaping up to be fantastic - F-15QA/EX was my absolute dream display! Fingers crossed for the last announcements yet to come, and that I have time on the day to poach a patch from the E-3 crew...
Welcome!

I think everyone in here will tell you the same thing for arriving at the show and thats be there when the car parks open at 6-6:30am, traffic will start to back up pretty early on and with you having to drive from Oxford, its probably the earlier the better.

A friend of mine used the viewing village garden last year and got some great photos from there, you are still given a seat, its like a plastic garden chair, and you can get closer to the front fence than in the grandstand. Obviously its harder to get shots of aircraft on the runway when landed with it being lower down, but if you can get a gap between people im sure you will be fine!

ThatDutchDude

Post by ThatDutchDude »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Fri 07 Jun 2024, 12:17 pm
German Typhoon demo did a practice on the 31st of May, using a special tail jet.
Not sure if they will use this airframe throughout the season.
This 1 is from TLG31, there are 2 German typhoon displays this year, TLG74 will attend RIAT.

BluffPilot

Post by BluffPilot »

AndyJohn68 wrote:
Fri 07 Jun 2024, 10:53 am
I went to my first riat 2 years ago, going to my second this year.

I was pretty disappointed by the lack of view of the runway. Tickets are already very expensive and having to add another 20/30 quid on top of that, just to not have a view of the back of a marquee, tips it over to unaffordable.

So I'm very glad of screens, it might actually mean I get to see action on the runway.

Luke-84

Post by Luke-84 »

If you mean crowd center then that's always going to be busy but if you position yourself either side there is literally over a mile of unrestricted views of the runway. I always used to join the scrums of trying to get towards center but the past few years I've positioned myself further up the Western end and I find it much better.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Yep agree Luke. Every year I see people complaining people that its too busy at the front - and yet every year (even as a FRIAT member!) I spend a bit of time at the crowd line at either the Eastern or Western end.

CWS

Post by CWS »

To be fair, the last couple of years I haven't made it to the front and it is a big problem with the sheer amount of Marquees. For some of the heli displays, especially 2022 I didn't even see one single part of the display! I know they have to make their money to keep this running but it is becoming a joke. They added a fake tree line last year so none of us 'plebs' had a view of the western end! I also position myself on the 'western' side of the 'Eastern end'. Might need a rethink on where to set myself up
Airshows 2024 - Duxford VE day, Duxford Summer show, RIAT, Duxford The Americans, Eastbourne, Miramar, Pacific Airshow

Joey B

Post by Joey B »

Luke-84 wrote:
Fri 07 Jun 2024, 3:24 pm
If you mean crowd center then that's always going to be busy but if you position yourself either side there is literally over a mile of unrestricted views of the runway. I always used to join the scrums of trying to get towards center but the past few years I've positioned myself further up the Western end and I find it much better.
Couldn't agree more,also you're less likely to be verbally abused by the "Deckchair get out of my way " punters ,I totally understand that RIAT is a long day and having a fold up chair is handy ,but speaking from personal experience it shouldn't give the person a licence to hurl abuse because u chose to stand to watch a display !

AndyJohn68

Post by AndyJohn68 »

skyryze31 wrote:

I travel from just outside Oxford on the West side and usually leave sometime between 6:30 and 7:00. The traffic is usually fine then. You'll have a big queue at the entrance with the 100% bag searches, but I've always got in an hour before the display starts.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

skyryze31 wrote:
Would be great to hear from anyone who has used the Viewing Village and can comment on how suitable it is for the newer photographer (and from anyone who brawls their way to the normal flightline!)
The Viewing Village garden is excellent for photography. Good position on the crowd line, loads of room too. Just help yourself to a chair, and you can position your self where you want, on the rope if you like. Get there reasonably early and there will be room. Its never too crowded. In my opinion the best view of the airshow, FRIAT excepted.

On another subject, one more looking forward to the Norwegian team here.

ThatDutchDude

Post by ThatDutchDude »

skyryze31 wrote:

Viewing village is amazing for photography, first RIAT I immediately decided to book the viewing village (grandstand) seeing it opens a large open space to move around in, a open clear view of the runway, and although a bit left of show center amazing for the displays (primarily the helicopters back in 2022), tho keep in mind a 500mm focal length will be way too long for runway shots and then primarily on the rollout, myself I use a 150-600 and had to switch to a 75mm for the large airframes to capture them taxi out. The moment you're past security at both the gate and the ticket checking at the village you'll have an amazing day for both photography and the general enjoyment.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Yep, I did the viewing village garden last year and it's a good spacious area for photography etc with it's own facilities. I've booked to go in there again this year.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

BluffPilot

Post by BluffPilot »

Luke-84 wrote:
Fri 07 Jun 2024, 3:24 pm
Didn't see many places I could sit with chairs for the day without being in the middle of a walkway.

JMC

Post by JMC »

Is this the Typhoon display we're getting? Unsure whether this is the Bavarian Tigers.

Seems a bit of a flat display.