Advice for improving my airshow photography

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
SidewaysPengwin

Advice for improving my airshow photography

Post by SidewaysPengwin »

So im looking for some advice / feedback for upping my airshow photography.

About me iv been doing photography as my hobby for around 10 years. Around 2 year ago I sating to do a lot more airshow after moving to the midlands making lot of show day trips.
I like my photos to have movement in them and I feel this is working ageist me in my airshow photography. Getting prop blur in my photos is impotent to me.
Some good examples of movement in my photos

My airshow photography kit
Cannon 90D and 800D
Sigma 60-600mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM
Canon EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

I typically us shutter priority and exposure compensation. Thinking of going to manual and setting the aperture to f8 and setting shutter speed and exposure compensation. To try and get a bit more sharpness out of my photos.

I pick up a scanner this year and that help me at least be looking in the right place and the right time.

As you can see from my flickr lots of different types of photography.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96470577@N02/

Orion

Re: Advice for improving my airshow photography

Post by Orion »

I think you've already cracked it. You don't need advice

Thoughtful_Flyer

Re: Advice for improving my airshow photography

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

I don't think you should be disappointed with the images you have linked.

The biggest single factor in getting good photos of prop driven aircraft, at a lowish shutter speed, is the ability to pan the camera keeping the plane rock steady in the frame. A bit like (clay) pigeon shooting. Some people are better at it than others but like some top sports stars have said "the more I practice the better I get"! If you can pan well enough you will get the best results with the stabiliser turned off.

The second thing to remember is that you are using a (relatively) cheap 60 to 600 mm lens. Many of the best photos you see on here are taken with Canon L series / Sony G master etc lenses costing perhaps four or five times the price. A bit like high end hi-fi, you pay a lot more money for a little extra quality.

Even then, when you look at other people's photos you don't see the 98% they discard!

Monopods or better still a tripod mounted gimbal can also help (with practice)!

But, to repeat, you have nothing to be disappointed about!