Dorset Holiday - May 2024 - Dolphins, deer and dogs........

Photos that are not aviation related
Airwolfhound

Dorset Holiday - May 2024 - Dolphins, deer and dogs........

Post by Airwolfhound »

My wife and I had a holiday last week down in Dorset. As usual, we based ourselves in Weymouth in a handy Premier Inn on the Seafront, and had quite a few day trips out and about the area.

We spent quite a few evenings around Heliops by the Castletown bay, and one evening had a lovely encounter with a couple of dolphins. They were quite a distance away, but even so, was great to witness the event.

Lots of dogs also enjoyed Castletown bay lol.....

Also went to Arne where we saw the deer and a stonechat. My wildlife fieldcraft is not that great, so didn't really spot much else on Arne except for lots of cabling for the Springwatch cameras lol..........

ImageDolphin by Tim Felce, on Flickr

ImageDeer by Tim Felce, on Flickr

ImageDog by Tim Felce, on Flickr

ImageStonechat by Tim Felce, on Flickr

Cheers for looking :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

FarnboroJohn

Re: Dorset Holiday - May 2024 - Dolphins, deer and dogs........

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Dolphin is a Bottlenose - good effort, not easy on the South Cost - deer are Sikas, looks like an adult female with a yearling fawn. Cracking Stonechat, too.

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Appreciated, thanks John. I think I saw one of your pics on Springwatch, or one of the Watchouts, at least it gave the credit 'John Dixon'. I assumed it was one of yours ?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Airwolfhound wrote:
Sun 09 Jun 2024, 3:32 pm
Appreciated, thanks John. I think I saw one of your pics on Springwatch, or one of the Watchouts, at least it gave the credit 'John Dixon'. I assumed it was one of yours ?
It was, thank you very much! Satisfying. I nearly missed it because I was looking at the Garden Dormouse picture next to it and puzzling about the fact I'd never heard of them occurring in Britain. Maz saved the day by actually recognising the Edible Dormouse pic as mine and only after that noticing my name on it.

It turns out Garden Dormouse has been found several times as a stowaway on lorries or ferries but is not yet established on this side of the Channel.