All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
CWS

Re: RIAT 2024 - discuss most things thread

Post by CWS »

RIAT Air Ops wrote:
Sat 08 Jun 2024, 9:47 pm
CWS wrote:
Fri 07 Jun 2024, 3:48 pm
They added a fake tree line last year so none of us 'plebs' had a view of the western end! I also position myself on the 'western' side of the 'Eastern end'. Might need a rethink on where to set myself up
Genuinely curious to what you're referring to here, as it's not something I remember ever ever having discussed at work or seeing at the show? I had a look at the aerial photographs today, and can't find anything at either end of the crowd line?
Sorry it is the other end of the 'Eastern end', it was at the end of the line of marquees etc that are too the left side (looking at the runway) of the Eastern end. It may have been 2022 not 2023 now thinking back that the 'tree/tall plant' decor was added to the side. But it is very hard to see anything low and left of show center if you don't manage to get near the front. Like I said it has never been a problem before and those main marquees have always been there but having the worst timing/luck getting in last year just meant that some displays like the year before become a bit obsolete. Anything that stayed middle or mainly left (some heli displays) I either didn't catch any of it or barely a few seconds. I am moaning I know, but I am putting it down as a one off. It is 99% completely fine and is the time the best event of the year for me! Counting down the days for this year!
Airshows 2024 - Duxford VE day, Duxford Summer show, RIAT, Duxford The Americans, Eastbourne, Miramar, Pacific Airshow

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

CWS wrote:
Wed 12 Jun 2024, 4:28 pm
Morgangalley wrote:
Wed 12 Jun 2024, 4:23 pm
I can actually see the Bulgarians attending this year as they’ve been ongoing for ages. (Doesn’t mean anything ik, India last year for example) but realistically a C-27 is all they would send as much as we would love a frogfoot or fulcrum or even hind. Albeit I’d like to be wrong. Chinook is a good shout and maybe Finnish nh90. The updates still to come are, so I’ve heard, apparently could be big in size. Judging by the amount of aircraft we have currently and how many they expect.
Yeah I honestly don't see how it gets to 250 from where we are now, but fair play if we get near that. In today's climate that is a great effort.
Word was nearer 220-230 from official sources for this year.
If you add in likely spares and supports and stuff already self confirmed (Chinook, Saudi Hawks and support - I dunno either if they are coming, USAF B-52, F-16, C-17, KC-46, U-2 (weekly updates and home based), RAF Atlas, you are in the mid 190s already.

Add in some Army helicopters, a couple more RAF heavies, something Irish, Italian statics, more USAFE stuff F-15, F-35, MC-130 and some general GA light stuff, you can easily get to another 30 from here without being unrealistic, I'm sure its all under control.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

CWS

Post by CWS »

capercaillie wrote:
Wed 12 Jun 2024, 4:46 pm
CWS wrote:
Wed 12 Jun 2024, 4:28 pm
Morgangalley wrote:
Wed 12 Jun 2024, 4:23 pm
I can actually see the Bulgarians attending this year as they’ve been ongoing for ages. (Doesn’t mean anything ik, India last year for example) but realistically a C-27 is all they would send as much as we would love a frogfoot or fulcrum or even hind. Albeit I’d like to be wrong. Chinook is a good shout and maybe Finnish nh90. The updates still to come are, so I’ve heard, apparently could be big in size. Judging by the amount of aircraft we have currently and how many they expect.
Yeah I honestly don't see how it gets to 250 from where we are now, but fair play if we get near that. In today's climate that is a great effort.
Word was nearer 220-230 from official sources for this year.
If you add in likely spares and supports and stuff already self confirmed (Chinook, Saudi Hawks and support - I dunno either if they are coming, USAF B-52, F-16, C-17, KC-46, U-2 (weekly updates and home based), RAF Atlas, you are in the mid 190s already.

Add in some Army helicopters, a couple more RAF heavies, something Irish, Italian statics, more USAFE stuff F-15, F-35, MC-130 and some general GA light stuff, you can easily get to another 30 from here without being unrealistic, I'm sure its all under control.
Yep agree, and I think that is realistically the biggest the show can be at the minute!
It mentions it in the Hub that was launched that 250 is expected, but like you said I reckon it will be closer to 220/230
Airshows 2024 - Duxford VE day, Duxford Summer show, RIAT, Duxford The Americans, Eastbourne, Miramar, Pacific Airshow

henk99

Post by henk99 »

Thanks for that one. It seems the only restriction on that road is the closure for the airshow (being the purple route, I suppose)
Brevet Cable wrote:
Wed 12 Jun 2024, 9:36 am
henk99 wrote: For my piece of mind (and planning ahead), can someone tell me what the status is of that roadwork? Perhaps a link with updated info so I can plan ahead?

In 2023 there they had temporary bridges on that route, but it could still be used as per normal.
Don't know if this website is any use to you : https://one.network/
Set the period option to 'Next 3 months' and it should show all the road closures / restrictions in force for when RIAT's on.
| Erlanger Bergkirchweih | RIAT 2024 | Sanicole 2024 |

Jdwood39

Post by Jdwood39 »

How many updates are left? There’s 6 Thursdays but I don’t know if 18 July counts or because it’s arrivals it’s part of the show and there isn’t one that day?!

Riat_guy

Post by Riat_guy »

They won't have a planned Thursday update during arrivals unless there's a late confirmation, I expect either 4 or 5 updates left

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

What is the tally of aircraft confirmed at as it stands? Also I’ve seen a lot of mention of Saudi hawks again but must have missed a source or something?

Danhaz

Post by Danhaz »

153 is my counting but i may be out by a couple

Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

UKAirshowTour wrote:
Wed 12 Jun 2024, 10:20 pm
What is the tally of aircraft confirmed at as it stands? Also I’ve seen a lot of mention of Saudi hawks again but must have missed a source or something?
This was posted on Facebook back in early February.

Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Jdwood39 wrote:
Wed 12 Jun 2024, 10:08 pm
How many updates are left? There’s 6 Thursdays but I don’t know if 18 July counts or because it’s arrivals it’s part of the show and there isn’t one that day?!
Definitely won't be an update on the 18th July but sometimes there are very late additions, Israeli C-130 and Ukraine SU-27 confirmed a couple of days before arrivals back in 2017 if I remember correctly?

Last update will most likely be the 11th July.

hazzanad

Post by hazzanad »

Dreadnought wrote:
Wed 12 Jun 2024, 12:23 am
hazzanad wrote:
Tue 11 Jun 2024, 11:37 pm
Starflyxxl wrote:
Tue 11 Jun 2024, 11:30 pm
I believe the F-22 is due to be in Oshkosh that weekend so we sadly won't be seeing her.

PlanesTV a couple weeks back did say on a stream that the B52s are coming back for statics so there will be atleast something.
Ahh gutted to hear no F22, although I wasn’t expecting one to be honest!

Defo keen on seeing B52’s at least, hopefully they might chuck in a B2 as well for good measure!
Sadly I don't think we are getting any flying acts from the US but there will definitely be some on static as they did mention this a few weeks back when the weekly update was released.
Happy to hear that mate! Pleased we’ve got some US stuff on static at least.

Biggsy

Post by Biggsy »

Morgangalley wrote:
Wed 12 Jun 2024, 10:27 pm
Biggsy wrote:
Wed 12 Jun 2024, 9:51 pm
I do feel the air display is lacking a few heavys, think just 2 so far, plus 1 uncertain.
2 heavies is usually what we get in the flying display. In terms of actual displays that is. What’s the uncertain one?
I have marked down Germany A400M and Italian C-27 both displaying Sat and Sun but also theres the Polish C-130H which all 3 days are in yellow so uncertain if and when it may display?

Looking at past couple of years, 2023 had 6 heavy displays, 2022 had 5 though I believe most will probably come from US

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Polish Herk is support aircraft so might not even be on the deck at RIAT.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Once again, we've had to delete a number of posts that are hoping, wishlisting, wanting and nothing to do with the show thread. These are all posts that should go in the wishlist thread. If you're hoping something comes, wishlist. If you're talking about something that there's no indication it's coming, wishlist. There's no indication - yet - that things like the Hurjet or the French Navy are coming and until there is, they don't belong in this thread.

This thread is for discussion of the show and confirmed participants only. Given how many times it's been laid down here what has to go in the wishlist thread, and how many times things have been deleted to that effect, it's getting to the point where we're going to have to start handing out warnings to repeat offenders, or blocking them from posting in this subforum altogether.

It's our time and effort we have to spend policing this and frankly, none of the mods actually care to anymore. People need to learn how to manage their emotions in this thread. It's been brought up far too many times now.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

chrisward123

Post by chrisward123 »

Well said, thread has been a lot harder to follow recently with so many pointless posts.
Looking forward to todays update, let’s hope it’s a good one

Christian
Lakes Lightning Collection

JMC

Post by JMC »

Apologies mods.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Danhaz wrote:
Wed 12 Jun 2024, 10:21 pm
153 is my counting but i may be out by a couple
Currently on the website its 151, however in most cases you are missing flying spares - RAF Typhoon, Canadian CF-188, Swiss F-5, Finnish Hawk etc, not all will carry a spare eg Czech Gripen usually turns up singly. But there is around 15 to add.

In addition many of the flying assets and some statics will see a support - Turkish, Swiss, Finnish, Czech, Spanish Navy, maybe even Spanish AF, so around another 8 easily expected there.

So on that basis 151 +15 + 8 = 174 listed realistically at present without counting self confirms and stuff hinted at on the website. Note this includes 5 BBMF aircraft which may turn out to be not coming by showtime.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

The "official figure" seems to count support aircraft before and after the show too, remember.

Be careful comparing "250 aircraft at the show" to "250 aircraft attending".

JMC

Post by JMC »

KC-390 flying display! (Friday only)

:clap:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

no Bulgarians or Finnish Army.

Morgangalley

Post by Morgangalley »

This week we're pleased to confirm participation of aircraft from the UK's Joint Aviation Command (previously known as Joint Helicopter Command). In the flying display we'll be welcoming the Chinook performing a combat role demonstration on Saturday & Sunday, including the carrying of an underslung load and deployment of troops. We had previously been notified this will use a HC.6 airframe, however we're seeking information from the crew about which airframe they'll bring to RAF Fairford as we noted that a HC.5 airframe was used for their appearance at RAF Cosford Air Show last weekend. We will keep you updated..! On static display we'll be welcoming Apache & Wildcat helicopters from the Army Air Corps, both of which will be arriving on the Friday morning. We will also have a rare appearance from a Puma HC2 helicopter, which will be parked near the RAF Experience.

Another fast jet for the static line-up, the Italian Air Force will send one of their Tornados! We understand their aspiration is to bring a specially painted aircraft, marking 50 years of the Tornado, which will be a fantastic addition to our NATO 75th Anniversary static line-up. The Reparto Sperimentale di Volo will also send their Piaggio P.180AM Avanti into RIAT for VIP transportation, but we are not sure if it'll be available for public viewing over the weekend at this time.

Visitors on Friday will be treated to a special flying display appearance by the Embraer KC-390, flown by the manufacturer, using their company demonstrator airframe.

This week we have added nine civilian aircraft to the static displays, including a Auster J/5F Aiglet Trainer which was previously used for Flight Test by Cranfield College of Aeronautics, plus a host of aircraft used by RAF Flying Clubs across the country.

With the show rapidly approaching, this is a busy period for our Air Operations team, with key planning events such as 'The Longest Day' coming next week, where we'll be planning all the arrival slots for circa 250 aircraft coming into RAF Fairford. This means in the coming weeks we should be able to provide more information about which aircraft will be viewable on the Friday, and which will be parked at the western end of the showground which is only open on Saturday & Sunday.

JMC

Post by JMC »

Kuwait, South Africa, Pakistani Air Force and Navy declined too.
Last edited by JMC on Thu 13 Jun 2024, 12:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Morgangalley

Post by Morgangalley »

Pretty good update for those visiting Friday. With the JHC stuff arriving and the KC-390 display. Chinook role demo we knew was coming. It’s an interesting (not bad) update by any means

Peregrine

Post by Peregrine »

Call me boring, but I'm really pleased with the addition of the RAF Puma, that was on my wishlist for this year.
They'll be missed when they're gone and they seem to have become quite a rare sight these days, so I'm glad to have the opportunity to shoot one again.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Very good, very nice.