Airpower24 - Zeltweg, Austria

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
SEMAE

Re: Airpower24 - Zeltweg, Austria

Post by SEMAE »

I have had my confirmation from Airpower as well so everything okay.

Martin

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

9. Patrouille Suisse

…and regarding the Czech Gripen I am not sure what list is correct. It is included in the list at www.europeanairshows.co.uk
But not in this recent list here: https://www.air-shows.org.uk/2024/04/ai ... z2LWP4eTtD

Shame about the Rafale but there is a gap in the schedule on that very date so maybe there is still a chance….(same for Frecce)

I guess we can expect something from the Swedish Historic Flight, maybe another F-16 (Greek, Turkish) and Gripen (Sweden, Hungary) and hopefully something French / Italian RSV. Then it’s not too bad in terms of fast jets…

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

p2philip wrote:
Thu 02 May 2024, 10:50 am

…and regarding the Czech Gripen I am not sure what list is correct. It is included in the list at www.europeanairshows.co.uk
But not in this recent list here: https://www.air-shows.org.uk/2024/04/ai ... z2LWP4eTtD
This has now been updated and the Czech Gripen is on both lists so we can count this one in I guess :-)

Sall

Post by Sall »

I hope there will be Couteau Delta from France. :)

tmattias

Post by tmattias »

Any idea what the departure schedule usually looks like_ Thinking about flying out of Vienna later the same day.

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

tmattias wrote:
Thu 23 May 2024, 7:10 pm
Any idea what the departure schedule usually looks like_ Thinking about flying out of Vienna later the same day.
Not sure I understand that question correctly. Are you asking about the departure of participants after the show or the quickest way to get out ?

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

tmattias wrote:
Thu 23 May 2024, 7:10 pm
A fair amount of departures happen on the Sunday, usually between 9am-5pm. Don’t expect everything to leave though as some participants will depart on the Monday.

jh45

Post by jh45 »

Hi Re the Spotter places - where do I find more info on the headshot portraits required to register ? eg require dimensions/size etc ?

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

You need your mugshot and scan/picture of passport as png or jpg file. Measurement does not seem to be specified but I’d try to keep the file size as low as possible to keep upload time short as you need to be quick.

JW22

Post by JW22 »

Participants are now showing on the website , looking like a cracking show as per.
The Austrian Armed Forces’ “Argonauts” flying display will also be a real premiere. For the first time, 25 aircraft will simultaneously show all the capabilities of the air forces in combination with ground and special vehicles of the land forces in one display. - from the news article on the website from this morning. That sounds brilliant !
Last edited by JW22 on Fri 14 Jun 2024, 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

USAF F35 flying and Serbian Galeb on static.

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

Some of the more interesting stuff in the participants list:

- Czech Gripen (already known) and new: Hungarian - both flying
- F-16s: from Poland (already known, flying), Belgium (must be static), Greece and Turkey. Hope the latter two are also flyers. Denmark unfortunately not mentioned.
- 3x Mustang „Horseman“, nice! In addition the first AirPower for the Flying Bulls Mustang.
- RSV flyers (not previously specified): Eurofighter, M346 and Spartan.

Shaping up nicely, a bit weak in terms of teams though. Still hoping for another Jet team … Turkish Stars or something like that. I‘d also expect something from Swedish Historic flight, they never missed a Zeltweg show so far.

eire247

Post by eire247 »

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I have never been to an airshow before and I am interested in attending Airpower24. I understand that entry is free. But do I need to pre-book or can I just show up?

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

Just show up, there is just a security check and you’re in. The only thing you need to buy in advance is a parking ticket if you arrive by car. Be early if you want to avoid traffic jams and queues.

eire247

Post by eire247 »

Thank you. I am planning on flying into Vienna and getting the train down. Does anybody have any experience of making this journey? I see that there are special trains on the days of the event.

JMC

Post by JMC »

I do!

You have to ensure you book the special train ticket in advance (it sells out quick iirc).

If you can't get that train, you have to get a train to Knittelfield and then change for a train to Zeltweg (which is about a 10 minute journey).

All fun and games on the way there, but the train journey back to Vienna is hell on earth.

Overcrowding, feels never ending and there's not many trains back to Vienna after the show, so you have to get on one of the said trains.

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

Happy memories squashed up against the door of that train standing in the vestibule for 3 hours a few years ago…a great first airshow experience for my girlfriend (who quickly realised that a romantic long weekend in Vienna was not all that it seemed!)
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?

eire247

Post by eire247 »

I was thinking it would be busy, I will prepare for the worst. I want to attend both days. I will probably book the special train.

Pablo Zibi

Post by Pablo Zibi »

eire247 wrote:
Sat 15 Jun 2024, 10:51 pm
Thank you. I am planning on flying into Vienna and getting the train down. Does anybody have any experience of making this journey? I see that there are special trains on the days of the event.
JMC wrote:
Sun 16 Jun 2024, 12:20 pm
All fun and games on the way there, but the train journey back to Vienna is hell on earth.
Overcrowding, feels never ending and there's not many trains back to Vienna after the show, so you have to get on one of the said trains.
eire247 wrote:
Sun 16 Jun 2024, 10:00 pm
I was thinking it would be busy, I will prepare for the worst. I want to attend both days. I will probably book the special train.
Speaking from my experience, I would avoid long distance trains at all (coming from Vienna, Salzburg and Innsbruck I believe) as You have to use a particular train. In 2022 I was sleeping in Graz, and using local trains (and weekend ticket working as well on Friday on that week), and...well they were no problems with getting there (at least very early morning), but way back :-( Friday was doable, but on Saturday I ended up standing in like 500 meters queue to even enter the station and literally nobody cares if this is your only one connection, or you can catch next train. Fortunately, my colleague with a car was still in the area, and dropped me off a few stations away at Bruck an der Mur, where I was able to enter the train. Zeltweg is small local station, completely not adjusted to such number of passengers.
If You tacking it easy and consider not watching whole program, and simply leave 2 hours before end to get to the station with time/queue margin, it may work, otherwise I highly recommend not depend on one particular train, and if you do not have other options available and must use public transport, just commute from Graz with local trains -> in worst case scenario you will miss one or two trains, but still can catch next one, with long distance trains you won't have such option.

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

That would be my recommendation too. When I attended in 2016, I flew to Vienna, then a really picturesque train journey to Graz where I stayed at a reasonable hotel (near the main train station), then it's just local train journeys to Zeltweg on the two days.

sylvancatharsis

Post by sylvancatharsis »

They're also running special bus service from most cities. I'm staying in Graz and thinking about taking one, but my hotel is also close to the train station, so if a local train from there is an option, might be an alternative worth considering.

eire247

Post by eire247 »

Graz seems like a good idea then. Also not too far from Zeltweg. I think I will do the same.

benko286

Post by benko286 »

Dear all,

like many me and my friend didn't get the spot ticket. The previous once we missed and one on 21.06 I got timeout error.

Since this is our first airshow we are learining and reading a lot.

Does anyone knows where the free spots will be, can somebody point where the free areas are?
I have marked two areas in paint, does anyone know will people without tickets be able to access these areas ?

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

There is some information and a video for the area on the right on page 2 of this thread as I asked about that area after the farce with round one of the spotters tickets. Seems like a decent bit of it has been accessible in the past but not the closest farmers field which is reasonable.