UKAirshowTour

Re: Festival of Flight - 29th & 30th June 2024

Post by UKAirshowTour »

A lot calmer today

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

A very good day out today!

Let's get the, very few, quibbles out the way first - the commentary system needs sorting. It cut in and out the whole afternoon and if they needed to make any emergency announcement to the whole crowd having it cut in and out isn't great and it's been the same at every show I've been to at Shuttleworth this year.

Also I would have preferred the Eurofighter to display and then there had been a break until the usual starting time as I thought 12 was a bit early.

If I'm being very picky the Stampe team flew quite a way out in comparison to the rest of the display aircraft, that's where the negatives end though. The first pass from both PR Spitfires' was pretty epic. The Curtiss Hawk 75 combation with the Spitfire Mk.V was fantastic. Loved the Huey and Birddog combination. I also enjoyed the Titans, thought it was much better with the Yak 50! The Corsair and the Spitfire stole the show for me. Superb display. 👏

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

I was getting something out my car as the mew gull landed but from a distance that looked like a rather twitchy bum landing but the hawk 75 was nice to see again, the typhoon was punchy, the corsair and spitfire display was ace as was the pr spitfire set, mustang looked punchy today, Huey and bird dog also a nice combo

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

The Friday was a strange day really as there were long periods when not much happened. It worked out fine me though, as I was able to leave home as a sensible time and get to Old Warden about 1pm.It also gave me a chance to have a leisurely look around the hangars. Some arrivals and practice displays but the lighting for the 8pm air display was worth staying for. I did enjoy the show on Saturday. I normally go to the evening shows and it was the first time I'd been to a "normal" show for a while.
It was pretty busy but it was a slick flying display with little or no gaps and lots of great topside passes. The superb weather helped a lot.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Also I will mention I thought the swordfish was excellent aswell today and the rolls Royce spitfire put in some excellent passes towards the campsite end. Can’t fault the flying I have really enjoyed the two days of flying and hope we get an annual event like this now

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Likewise - hopefully this becomes a permanent fixture. I really enjoyed my weekend, and would probably say this was the best Shuttleworth airshow since some of the ones before COVID

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Well having not got the better of the weather days by choosing Sunday, it was still far better than what the forecasts initially were predicting with some decent sunny breaks. I chose the Sunday as I wanted to see the Hawk 75 in the display. It has to be said that although the pairs routine was well choreographed, a couple more photo passes from such a rare attendee would have been more than welcome.

The French pair were certainly entertainers, loved the low open cockpit pass from the Spitfire, and fitted right in at the venue, looked liked the pilots defintely enjoyed it. Star act for me were the Bird Dog and Huey, a very well put together routine, hope its taken up more on the circuit. Titans were energetic especially following the very lazy display from the Stampe trio. I was only just arriving on site as the Typhoon was going through its "paces" but its repoistioning at times seemed a long way out for a modern fighter. Swordfish showed how it should be done!

Good to see so many visiting acts used over the weekend, hope its worked out financially and a similar event can be staged next year, I may even consider both days if the display is going to be so varied.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

st24

Post by st24 »

Like lazy arse MrC I arrived at the same time, completely oblivious to the 12 pm start - thinking the Typhoon would do his bit then the main flying start at 2 as normal; I messed up. Only a phone call from the aforementioned man of knowledge also reminded me of the airshow road closures and the resulting tour of Bedfordshire villages which added (what felt like!) another hour to the journey. I get that, Hill Lane runs along the airfield and is obviously in the live zone but I don't get why the Ickwell to Upper Caldecote lane was closed, being some way off the display area. Furthermore the main "new" entrance was still the only way in and we stragglers were stopped very close to the gate meaning traffic was backing up on the B658 and causing some consternation to other road users. Consequently even though we were diverted a very long way off to avoid travelling through the display area, we all still entered the airfield directly under the display area and landing zone...!?!
I guess where my waffle is going is - when the road closure is in place and the flying about to commence why not open the "old" entrance from old Warden so as the last few punters don't have to add extra traffic to the local populace, avoid issues on the B 658 and also negates anyone driving under the display area?

As for the show, assisted by yet another much better day's weather than forecast and esteemed company, a great day out at OW with some great displays and I can't add anything to what others have said - the 'nam act was innovative and just shows what's possible with a bit of thought and effort. Great stuff.

I believe it's been a bit of a difficult gestation for this event, weather thwarting the expected fly-in participants (which was actually a real draw for me - the sight of OW crammed with historic and vintage aircraft has always been a driver), presumably the RAF dictating the earlier start each day, notable cancellations, the whole 3 day show thing - I can imagine what a drain that must be on the large volunteer staff base and insurance, display and support costs. As said, I really hope it's worked out financially - a brave move by the team that's deserved success.
But no earlier than a 2pm start....! :wink:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Varkfan

Post by Varkfan »

Great show yesterday, even though Saturday had the better weather, I was especially delighted to finally see the Ryan STM. It really is a beautiful plane, even in the dull light. Photographed it to death, absolutely chuffed to bits :blush: :thumbsup:
Chinon CE-4
Prinz 200mm
Prinz 35 - 150 zoom

Tobyone1985

Post by Tobyone1985 »

Having had a few days to reflect on the weekend's shows I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed both days of flying (Sat and Sunday) highlights for me have to be the french pair especially the Spitfire final pass, Swordfish for what has to be one of the best displays I have seen of it, Ryan STM, Gnat and Vietnam pair. The home team seemed on good form over what was a very busy weekend.

My only real criticism was the early start times for the flying displays. While I'm sure there are many good reasons for this from an organisational point of view, it goes against the best features of old warden displays and on both days it felt like a bit of a missed opportunity (especially the Saturday which would have made a fine evening show)

I hope this becomes a regular feature for one show a year and can help bring new visiting acts to this very special place.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Tobyone1985 wrote:
Wed 03 Jul 2024, 10:54 am
My only real criticism was the early start times for the flying displays. While I'm sure there are many good reasons for this from an organisational point of view, it goes against the best features of old warden displays and on both days it felt like a bit of a missed opportunity (especially the Saturday which would have made a fine evening show)
As has been said before, the start times were dictated by the slot times allocated by the RAF for the Red Arrows and Typhoon - completely outside the control of the organisers.

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Attended Saturday, thoroughly enjoyable day , loved the French pair. Lots going on, and the positioning of the items for the younger visitors seemed to work well. I always have a soft spot for a Tiger Moth, so seeing the Tiger 11 was great, some really good flying in such a large formation, and Tim Emrys-Roberts always raises a smile with his commentary.

I'm not one for hugging the fence, but was interested to see a large section of the flightline devoid of aircraft, which must have allowed for some excellent landing/take off shots for many. I wonder if this will be repeated?

The one disappointment personally was not seeing any Edwardians, particularly as there seemed to barely any movement in the windsock at the end of flying, but others know better than me about the direction of any wind that there was, and future shows will no doubt feature them soon.

I hope it has been a success for Shuttleworth, although I couldn't make it to Sunday it was good to have a number of different displays on the two days, together with lots of ground-based attractions, so I do hope they repeat it.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Mike wrote:
Wed 03 Jul 2024, 7:09 pm
Tobyone1985 wrote:
As has been said before, the start times were dictated by the slot times allocated by the RAF for the Red Arrows and Typhoon - completely outside the control of the organisers.
True the RAF assets would dictate slot times. However Shuttleworth didn't need to start the show straight away, they could have had a break after the RAF assets and before the main show.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Ryan. wrote:
Thu 04 Jul 2024, 9:58 pm
Mike wrote:
Tobyone1985 wrote:
True the RAF assets would dictate slot times. However Shuttleworth didn't need to start the show straight away, they could have had a break after the RAF assets and before the main show.
What would that gap achieve? The road has to be shut for the flying now. It makes no sense whatever to split the flying in the way you suggest.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Mike wrote:
Fri 05 Jul 2024, 9:46 am
Ryan. wrote:
Thu 04 Jul 2024, 9:58 pm
Mike wrote:
Tobyone1985 wrote:
What would that gap achieve? The road has to be shut for the flying now. It makes no sense whatever to split the flying in the way you suggest.
It's just what I, personally, would have preferred. Even just 30 minutes, I just found it more rushed than usual, to look around, eat and setup before the flying started.