A Bridge to Shetland...(photo heavy)...

Photos that are not aviation related
Slinger65

A Bridge to Shetland...(photo heavy)...

Post by Slinger65 »

That'll be the camera - for now, it's a loooong ferry trip but worth it for wildlife and scenery...

Starting off point for the ferry is Aberdeen - not a city I've visited before, but some impressive architecture in way more than just 50 shades of grey...

First stop was Kirkwall in the Orkney's, at approx 1130pm...

After a slightly bumpy night, we arrived in Lerwick around 730am...more grey, this time the weather...

Time to fill before heading north to our accommodation, so down to Sumburgh - some flying objects, but with an easterly gale blowing not much birdlife to see...

Next morning, close encounter with an otter just a few hundred yards from our base in North Roe (or "Nort Trow" as the locals call it)...

On to Eshaness - stunning scenery and plenty of birdlife too...

I'd packed a bird feeder not knowing quite what might turn up - as the "usual" garden birds we get in the rest of the UK are mainly absent. A good number of starlings and house sparrows, but this was the most impressive visitor...

The sun did shine...briefly...

And even more unexpected than sunshine was this...just a few hundred yards up the road...

A few more pics of Fethaland (just at the very northern tip of the mainland and once a busy fishing port) and local bird and sea life / traffic...including one of the "star" species on the island of Fetlar, Red Necked Phalarope. Barely much bigger than a starling, but stunning views of it from the shore...

Finally back to Lerwick and our journey home...for whatever reason the ferry went out through the north channel of the harbour and round the island of Noss, giving us one last and spectacular view of the gannets...and before that, interesting watching razorbills herding shoals of sandeels into the shallows and then hoovering them up...

Last edited by Slinger65 on Thu 11 Jul 2024, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slinger65

Panasonic Lumix FZ1000

FarnboroJohn

Re: A Bridge to Shetland...(photo heavy)...

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Cool. Very familiar landscapes to me, especially around North Roe and Esha Ness but also Sumburgh (btw the layby next to the runway is great for shorebirds, seabirds and porpoises in the bay).

Nice female Red-necked Phal and Otter, too.

Hope you enjoyed the trip and will maybe repeat it at another time of year.

Slinger65

Post by Slinger65 »

Thanks John - I'd imagine spring migration season up there would be something pretty special. There were reports (and photos) of bee-eater, waxwing and golden oriole among others while we were there - but plenty to keep us going and lots of "lifers" for a part-time birder like myself. Noticeable absence of raptors, but the bonxies seem to have quite happily taken their place at the top of the avian food chain.

Sadly we missed the orcas, but there's only a few of them and an awful lot of sea. A brief glimpse of a fin-whale (or similar) from the ferry just off Aberdeen was the closest we got...
Slinger65

Panasonic Lumix FZ1000

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Somewhere I've never been but looks delightful, especially if it was sunny.

Lovely shots of the otter, phalarope and Bonxies.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Slinger65

Post by Slinger65 »

Thanks - we were a bit unlucky with the weather by all accounts, but it's not wall to wall sunshine at the best of times. Daylight is in plentiful supply though...
Slinger65

Panasonic Lumix FZ1000

helired3

Post by helired3 »

Nice Set thanks for sharing.
Ian Harris https://www.flickr.com/photos/ian_harrisuk/

Nikon D750
Nikon D500
Nikon 500mm pf
Nikon 300mm pf

Slinger65

Post by Slinger65 »

Thx - just spotted (and fixed) a broken link to the Golden Plover image...
Slinger65

Panasonic Lumix FZ1000