Re: A-W Meteor NF.14 WS788 Restoration Project

Post by Archer »

Oh dear.... the Yorkshire Air Force is arming their jets..... :wink:

Another great update!

Brenden S

Post by Brenden S »

Just WOW.
Well done and that slipper tank does look the part doesn't it.

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Archer, we do have to take precautions against the dark forces of Lancashire! :laughing:
Brenden, the tank does make a huge difference. she looks "right" with the triple tank fit, like she's actually off to do something!
Speaking of doing things, it's another one of those weeks where events at the paid work have played into 788's hands, as they have given me more time on the old girl. Just when I need it, too! So again, I'm trying to keep the forum updated as I go along, in bite sized chunks.
John and I were in yesterday, and we decided our first job would be to get the overwing roundels painted and seen off. I took the repositioned port one, John the starboard. Soon all you could hear was the sound of masking tape being pulled off the rolls, and being cursed at as we tried to mask up the roundels!
We cracked on though, I did my blue portion then passed the roller and tray over to John so he could do his blue bit
I then broke out the red paint, and applied my roundel's centre
Again passing the red tray and roller over to John, before demasking my roundel. I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with it!Image
John had by now got his red roundel centre painted
So I watched him nervously demasking his work. No pressure John!
I think he's done a spot-on job of it!
In fact, all the national markings have come out better than I anticipated. I never ever want to paint another roundel again though!Image

Another job we did using John's home machined door keys was locking down the ammo doors. The wings look so much tidier as a result

In the afternoon, the fun of measuring, marking, then masking the rear sections of the nacelles for painting awaited me, while John was finishing the prep of the engine doors.
Fortunately these sections have a convenient row of rivets down the centre line to use as a datum! With the masking on I applied the silver paint to both nacelle tops
I also hung on the jet and painted the starboard jetpipe cover
Using the jet as a painting stand makes a lot of sense! Soon the silver bits were done and demasked
This silver paint dries really quickly in the current weather conditions, so after I had had a brew I was able to mask for and apply the dayglo to the nacelles. I was a bit busy to get pictures of this process, but here are the nacelles after being demasked and the jetpipe covers refitted

She's looking good!
I also got the starboard engine doors in paint too. With silver paint running low, getting the starboard set painted is the priority as these will be staying on the jet on her big day
So after another busy day the jet was looking better again!
She needs a good wash though. That'll be happening next Friday, all being well.
On to today, I was in by myself with yet another list of jobs to do. First up was fitting the engine doors to the starboard engine
priming and painting the barrels of the cannons was next
I didn't think the wings could look any better than when we put the cannons in the jet last weekend; I was wrong!

With this done, the rest of my morning was spent prepping the aileron for paint. After lunch, I got it in primer
I then retrieved the main undercarriage doors from the container, and gave them a clean off
I figure these may as well go back on the jet for her birthday do, so I fitted them. Then, we had a visiting Meteor Boy! Brian was an airframe fitter on F.8's and NF.14's, and as is traditional we got him to sign the jet. You'll notice we have had to move on to the port JB door, as the starboard one is now very full!Image

After reacquainting Brian with the old Meatbox, I got back on with painting. Scraping just enough paint together to paint the port aileron

Fortuntely Gary had ordered me another tin, which will come in tomorrow for some last bits including the port engine doors and that bit of the nacelle that's really annoying me because it's still dark green! The jet really is looking good though. A couple of last shots of the jet from a couple of different vantage points as I was leaving tonight;

She certainly doesn't look like the knackered old relic in the corner she looked like up to only a couple of weeks ago!

More next time folks...
Meteor WS788/ Chippy WK640 Restoration Project, YAM
Shack WR963, Coventry
Other types meddled with by request!

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

Fabbo! Will you have the canopy on for the party?

Triffic- helluva week’s work!

TT

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Sadly not. That's a problem we are still resolving.
Shack WR963, Coventry

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Stunning work over the past couple of weeks mate, Jaffa Cakes & beer all round I say :thumbsup:

As for the roundels (you may have already mentioned it and I've missed it) nut did you mask by eye or scribe lines from the centre point?
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Cheers Tony!
Regarding the roundels, only the starboard wing roundel could be replicated where it was. The port one and fuselage ones had to be drawn and measured from scratch. String, tape measure and pencil, the old fashioned way!
Shack WR963, Coventry

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Blue_2 wrote:
Sun 14 Jul 2024, 5:29 pm
Cheers Tony!
Regarding the roundels, only the starboard wing roundel could be replicated where it was. The port one and fuselage ones had to be drawn and measured from scratch. String, tape measure and pencil, the old fashioned way!
:thumbsup: thanks Graham, who needs modern technology, the old fashion way is usually the best or probably more reliable :grinning:
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

Archer

Post by Archer »

Theoretically you could come up with a laser level derived gadget that can project a set of circles on a curved surface with the required relative sizes and correcting for wing/fuselage skin curvature... Development costs would be huge, customer base quite limited.... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

So, string, pencil, tape measure it is then!
Shack WR963, Coventry