All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Mantog

Re: FRIAT Stand Location 2025

Post by Mantog »

As Arnie once said “This is getting better by the minute” 🙄

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Berf wrote:for example a RIAT campsite as suggested - it is all aimed at making more money. You can forget any benefits that are going too be free and any that already are will be squeezed.
Wissam24 wrote: Oh, they may offer camping for FRIATers...cool. Cause that's never been an option for people who want to camp before. And it's not like it'll be free...
You never know....it might be....... :grinning:
Maybe they're going to make a deal with Kempsford campsite, as there are planty of FRIATers in there! :rofl:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

JW22

Post by JW22 »

Another kick in the teeth for us FRIAT members and this time only a week out from the show. Massively frustrating them dropping bad news about next year this close to the show. So that’s the fast track and the grandstand location being taken away in back to back years. Hopefully we will eventually start seeing some benefits of the FRIAT package

wdg

Post by wdg »

To be honest, I'm more annoyed about it moving to the left than moving backwards, it does seem a bit too close to the VV grandstand now.

With regards the "dedicated" crowdline, this seems like a poorly-thought-out token gesture. It looks like a narrow path leading to a thin strip of grass, 90% of which is presumably going to be (quite rightly) reserved for disabled members. All this will do is make the existing tiny amount of space more sought-after, resulting in more hassle and aggro. Combined with the changes to bag checks, etc, you're just going to see a few people running in without bags and lying down to save the space for their mates when they turn up with a trolley full of gear, further fuelling the fights. The area between the stand and this thin strip of grass appears to be open to everyone, so I hope this is policed to keep out ladders, etc.

I wonder if they could consider some kind of raised platform or viewing terrace, say about 30cm off the ground, running along behind the disabled area and crowdline. If done right with enough space to set up chairs and stand in front of them if the people in front stand, this would provide a bit more space to help keep up with the demand they have created. You could potentially add several tiers at increasing heights, as long as someone standing on the back tier would still be below the eyeline of anyone sitting in the front row of the main stand.

It remains to be seen what the long term effect of these changes and DBH's intentions are. If they are sincere in their desire to "continually enhance the offer for aviation enthusiasts at RIAT", and these changes are genuinely about enhancing safety and improving the visibility from the control tower, it is self-evident that the area around the control tower will be kept clear of any structures or enclosures. If this is just a smokescreen or excuse to claim more prime real estate for corporate interests, then this will also be self-evident if the space is re-used for such interests.

The most immediate indication of their intent will be when we learn the price to renew membership next year. Given all that has been taken away, with nothing added, it would be unconscionable to demand more money, so if the price of 2025 membership is any higher than 2024, that would just be a giant middle finger up at us and they should seriously consider renaming the package if they are no longer willing to treat their long-term supporters as "friends".

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Very well said
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Prices for 2025 have been frozen, with discounts for early confirmed; on the FRIAT website.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

bishbashbosh

Post by bishbashbosh »

Moving back doesn't really bother me, and it might even make it easier to capture some of the larger items during departure. Additionally, the background could look nicer if it avoids that new hangar.

If the FRIAT grandstand is level with the Viewing Village grandstand, I don’t see it being an issue. It’s basically like the FRIAT stand extending a bit further. I usually sit at the far east end of the grandstand, and my view of the runway isn’t blocked by the rest of the FRIAT grandstand, so why would it be obstructed by another grandstand next to it? I doubt I'll even notice it.
2024 shows: Cosford, Sywell, RIAT, Zeltweg with a couple of Duxford and Shuttleworth shows thrown into the mix.

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

Was considering restarting FRIAT again next year but will certainly skip it now.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

'Get to the choppa!'

This has all the makings of a cluster cluck!

I for one think it's almost the FRIAT swansong this year!
Last edited by HeyfordDave111 on Wed 10 Jul 2024, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Got to love Russianhardware

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

I noticed last year and perhaps the previous year that on departure days, there were Friaters spread out along the very front, not just in front of the FRIAT stand but also spread out in front of where the stand will be next year to the left. Won't apply to Friday to Sunday though.

To the left of the current FRIAT stand is the general public disabled area. It is reasonable to assume that from 2025 the general public disabled area will be moved to the right of the new FRIAT area but who knows. Perhaps on departure days at least that area, Friaters could use that area as well right up to the fence.

One thing is for sure. The fact that the FRIAT stand will be moved back from 2025, there must be no motivation to place official camera/video towers or any other tall obstruction in front or to the immediate area either side of the FRIAT stand enclosure. I do know from major air shows that I have been to including spotter enclosures that would be particularly annoying if your view of the display is blocked by such whilst an aircraft coming right to left or vica versa.
Last edited by SEMAE on Wed 10 Jul 2024, 1:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RichPittman

Post by RichPittman »

I’m not so sure they were Friat members 👀
Always remember "If you cannot turn tight...you cannot fight!"

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Ever year people do their Violet Elizabeth Bott impression and proclaim to all and sundry that they are never, ever, not in a million years ever going to buy a FRIAT ticket ever again, ever.
Come the next year? Surprise, surprise, they admit to having booked FRIAT again.
아직도 숨어있다

Dr_Q

Post by Dr_Q »

Nots so much 'Friends' of the Royal International Air Tattoo these days, as 'massive inconvenience, although we welcome your money' at the Royal International Air Tattoo!

RIAT (Mach 2)
Wings over Houston

er, that's about it this year I reckon.

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

RichPittman wrote:
Wed 10 Jul 2024, 1:22 pm
I did try out that area to the left for a short while but I agree to a certain extent they were not all Friat members. Some were FRIAT because I saw their badges. I did not think it was a good place for take offs as most of the aicraft where even more too high on the Monday departures so I went back in to the enclosure itself.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Dr_Q wrote:
Wed 10 Jul 2024, 1:38 pm
Nots so much 'Friends' of the Royal International Air Tattoo these days, as 'massive inconvenience, although we welcome your money' at the Royal International Air Tattoo!
As others have posted elsewhere, if you look at the prices it costs more to do the whole RIAT period ( Wednesday-Monday ) for non FRIAT tickets than if you buy the FRIAT package, and that's before you include booking even the cheapest enclosure/grandstand.
They sell out most - if not all - days, so it could be argued thar FRIAT is somewhat of a loss-leader.
아직도 숨어있다

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Wed 10 Jul 2024, 1:48 pm
Dr_Q wrote:
As others have posted elsewhere, if you look at the prices it costs more to do the whole RIAT period ( Wednesday-Monday ) for non FRIAT tickets than if you buy the FRIAT package, and that's before you include booking even the cheapest enclosure/grandstand.
They sell out most - if not all - days, so it could be argued thar FRIAT is somewhat of a loss-leader.
Not if you buy super earlybird tickets, then it's considerably cheaper.

RichPittman

Post by RichPittman »

SEMAE wrote:
Wed 10 Jul 2024, 1:39 pm
RichPittman wrote:
I did try out that area to the left for a short while but I agree to a certain extent they were not all Friat members. Some were FRIAT because I saw their badges. I did not think it was a good place for take offs as most of the aicraft where even more too high on the Monday departures so I went back in to the enclosure itself.
How did you get there!
Just leave the Friat stand and walk along the rope?

I’d love to go that way for the Turks
Always remember "If you cannot turn tight...you cannot fight!"

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

jalfrezi wrote:
Wed 10 Jul 2024, 1:58 pm
Brevet Cable wrote:
Wed 10 Jul 2024, 1:48 pm
Dr_Q wrote:
Not if you buy super earlybird tickets, then it's considerably cheaper.
Plus please advise how to get a midway along the runway ticket for the Monday in the ordinary packages, as I've never seen it advertised?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

I sincerely hope that they put an announcement out in the FRIAT stand when the team visit the enclosure so people can go and voice their thoughts directly.

In terms of moving the grandstand, I'm sure I'll survive, but it means that I'm basically going to be restricted to takeoff shots. There's the potential for heat haze to ruin anything on the runway, and even at 400mm it's a struggle to get anything dynamic from the flying displays, particularly anything smaller than a fast jet.

I don't much fancy paying £390 to scrum for a spot on the crowdline, and I worry about even more obstructions between the "dedicated crowdline" and the grandstand.

I remember when they used to remove the display centre marker so that it didn't ruin photos of departures, now we're lucky there's not a giant screen in front of the stand, playing vox pops of YouTubers sitting in a plastic Chinook on a loop, though I'm sure that'll come in time.

Peter has brought in some of the most exciting aircraft for the enthusiast in a long time yet the rest of the organisation seems to look upon FRIAT as a nuisance to be managed out of existence.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

rockfordstone wrote:
Wed 10 Jul 2024, 11:36 am
Berf wrote:
Wed 10 Jul 2024, 11:33 am
Jetnoise wrote:
Wed 10 Jul 2024, 11:17 am
Will they also be moving display centre to match the new stand location?
Nah, that's reserved now for the Centre Enclosure - a premium product for you and your guests so don't forget: 'Be at the Centre' in 2025.
100% this is what is going to happen
Absolutely bang on.

Sneezy24

Post by Sneezy24 »

Perhaps we should all wait and see?
Anything that flies!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

My thoughts too. Perhaps I should care more (and in the context of price structure, covid goodwill payments, and removal of the blue queue priority, I can definitely see why people do care), but it seems ok to me.

£350 is a lot to pay for a “let’s wait and see”, but strikes me that there’s little other choice, tbh.

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

RichPittman wrote:
Wed 10 Jul 2024, 2:00 pm
SEMAE wrote:
Wed 10 Jul 2024, 1:39 pm
RichPittman wrote:
How did you get there!
Just leave the Friat stand and walk along the rope?

I’d love to go that way for the Turks
I cannot remember exactly. Either the partition fence bit near the rope was opened up or more likely I just waked out of the FRIAT enclosure entrance and then down again towards the rope without going too far. There was plenty of space and people well behaved but it was departure day only. I do not know if it was officially allowed so one may not be able to do it again. I went to that area after noticing that there were more people in that area than usual and assumed that they must be Friaters who moved in to there. Some definitely were FRIAT members.
Last edited by SEMAE on Wed 10 Jul 2024, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

capercaillie wrote: Plus please advise how to get a midway along the runway ticket for the Monday in the ordinary packages, as I've never seen it advertised?
Simple.
Ask a FRIATer to pass their ticket through the fenceline ( after they've already entered the showground ) for you to use.
Or don't they do that sort of thing any more?
:speak_no_evil:
아직도 숨어있다

linco33

Post by linco33 »

FRIAT for me is all about the grandstand seat close to the runway for photography. That's why I bought it. If I wasn't interested in photography, I'd buy another package or day tickets. With the stand being moved back, that will really effect photography. I'm not one to bully my way through a crowd to stand against a rope for 8 hours. It's a shame I've left it so late to get onboard with RIAT/FRIAT, it seems I'm coming in as a first timer at the wrong time.
80D/M6 MkII, 70-200f4/100-400MkII/18-135/15-45/10-18/50/22mm