DerekF

Re: Next round of Group Builds- Ideas?

Post by DerekF »

And that is what exactly?

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

A quick "google" returned this

GSFG= Group of Soviet Forces in Germany of which the 16th Air Army was part based at Zossen.

I think it may be to specific a subject to be covered on here, but out of curiosity what subjects would we be looking at?

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

The Channel dash
Battle of the Atlantic.
Korean War
Vietnam war
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

sig226

Post by sig226 »

scotthldr wrote:A quick "google" returned this

GSFG= Group of Soviet Forces in Germany of which the 16th Air Army was part based at Zossen.

I think it may be to specific a subject to be covered on here, but out of curiosity what subjects would we be looking at?

MiG21's...23's...25's '27's & 29's....Sukhois 17's (22's) 24's 25's 27's.... and assorted Yaks, Antonovs , Illyushins and Mils
the 16th Air Army headquarters were at Zossen-Wunsdorf, whilst the a/c were based at Eberswald, Finow, Juterbog Gross-Doln etc

Regards Simon

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

8674planes wrote:The Channel dash
Battle of the Atlantic.
Korean War
Vietnam war

Both the Korean and Vietnam Wars have been covered within the last two years, so wouldn't make sense to cover again.

Channel Dash what's that when at home?

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

sig226 wrote:

MiG21's...23's...25's '27's & 29's....Sukhois 17's (22's) 24's 25's 27's.... and assorted Yaks, Antonovs , Illyushins and Mils
the 16th Air Army headquarters were at Zossen-Wunsdorf, whilst the a/c were based at Eberswald, Finow, Juterbog Gross-Doln etc

Regards Simon

Plenty of choice there then, is there plenty of reference material for these subjects though? You'll have to excuse my ignorance but WarPac/Soviet forces isn't my strong point :oops: .

sig226

Post by sig226 »

scotthldr wrote:
sig226 wrote:

Regards Simon

Plenty of choice there then, is there plenty of reference material for these subjects though? You'll have to excuse my ignorance but WarPac/Soviet forces isn't my strong point :oops: .

There should be plenty these days (WAPJ) had 3 issues dedicated to the Soviet withdrawal from Germany and there are a few books around dealing with the a/c based in East Germany, and to be honest most Sov a/c were fairly anonymous during those days with the exception of Guards badges.

Regards Simon

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

The Channel Dash I believe was the breakout out into the North Sea by the Bismark and Prinz Eugen.

Actually, looking at Wiki it was the breakout from Brest in France to Germany by the Scharnhorst and Gneisenau along with Prinz Eugen. I should have guessed as I already said that the Bismark went through the North Sea. :oops: :whistle:

Some of the aircraft involved in the operation were, Fairey Swordfish, Hudsons, Beauforts, Spitfires (not sure what type), Me 109's, FW 190's and Me 110's to name a few. RAF, Bomber Command, Coastal Command and FAA were all involved at one stage or another.

Even if we had one of each aircraft mentioned above made, that would be a lot higher total than some of our GB's :whistle: , but it still might be considered too specific an event.

Alan

davidm

Post by davidm »

Hello all. I just realised that I was down for a GB soon. I've been having a break from the models mainly helped by lots of work. So hoping to get back on it soon.

ianf

Post by ianf »

An obvious choice for the back end of this year would be a 30th anniversary Falklands build, It topical and there are now quite a few decent kits covering the subject. I was sceptical that individual aircraft subjects would work. However I think I was proven wrong, so maybe a few more? F3 tornado, F-18, Warbird wise maybe a mustang or P-47? I'm sure we can come up with more GB providing that folk want to continue of course :dunno:

Just my two pennyworth anyway

Ian
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

Craig

Post by Craig »

ianf wrote:An obvious choice for the back end of this year would be a 30th anniversary Falklands build, It topical and there are now quite a few decent kits covering the subject. I was sceptical that individual aircraft subjects would work. However I think I was proven wrong, so maybe a few more? F3 tornado, F-18, Warbird wise maybe a mustang or P-47? I'm sure we can come up with more GB providing that folk want to continue of course :dunno:

Just my two pennyworth anyway

Ian

If you're going for an individual aircraft surely tornados would be a good shout? Seems to be plenty of interest in them, may even drag me out of my modelling malaise! :whistle:

james solomon

Post by james solomon »

Futuristic aircraft i think

Jamesv9820

Post by Jamesv9820 »

james solomon wrote:Futuristic aircraft i think

UAV'S? Define futuristic? Are we talking "Gerry Anderson" type kits or the F-35? Massive scope for interpretation there

james solomon

Post by james solomon »

SCI-FI?

Craig

Post by Craig »

I doubt you'd get many entrants, we'll need something that'll interest as many people as possible. The "twin engine" one has been pretty good and well supported :smile:

james solomon

Post by james solomon »

I tried the experimental build on another forum using my PM models floatplane mk5 Spitfire which was a nasty kit from Turkey. I also have my Australian Lockheed Hudson in a group build of the same name plus entered it in a pacific war one that ones actually interesting as im seeing a lot of stuff like Dutch East Indies fighters and such. There was a mosquito one but I decided to enter my cut up Tamyia one on a queen Mary trailer on a mates crashed diorama i never finished that looked sweet nearly won that group build but lately they have been drying up. Im in more vehicle ones than planes but there are some good group builds out there that atteact different things rather than just loads of the same country and colour schemes

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

So..... as a certain Spike Milligan used to say....

What are we going to do now?

Are we going to have another vote? Take a break from GBs?

Any ideas?

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

The USAAF GB was supposed to start the 1st November and I posted that I wasn't able to run it and could anyone step in................. :tumbleweed:

I don't build aircraft so much these days, so I'll join in as and when a GB takes my fancy.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

I forgot we had done that. I can't really complain as I have been a poor supporting of the forum recently.
Since we re-invigorated the GBs a couple of years ago, I think the support has gradually faded away. I wonder what we coud do to inspire further participation?

funkygib

Post by funkygib »

Hi all,
I've been out of plastic modelling for a while now due to other commitments and lack of spare time but I have still got some great kits to build and all the gear, I just need a decent motivator to get me going again.
Has the next GB content been decided?

I was lucky enough to win a kit with my last build on UKAR.
If an incentive would help others to take part or at least to motivate in finishing a build then I'll gladly pay it forward by offering up a kit to the winner of the next GB inc postage?
I'm not sure how the winner would be chosen or if a voting poll would be beneficial to this end? perhaps the mods can look into it?

PM me if you need anything and I look forward to the next GB as my comeback build!

Thanks
Nikon D5100, 18-55mm VR, 55-300mm VR
These are my photos, there are many like them but these are mine.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

I think the USAAF was next from this poll that we did last year

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=49390

We just someone to volunteer to look after it. Any ideas?

funkygib

Post by funkygib »

USAAF it is then !
The nearest kit I have in that category is a P-38F Lightning "Galcier Girl" which most will know never actually made it to Europe in 1942.
It was forced to land in Greenland on its way over and was subsequently lost in the snow along with many others later being found under many layers of ice.
The squadron became known as 'the lost squadron'
Its a bit tenuous but I'll give it a go over Christmas if that's OK?
Hopefully somebody can monitor the GB.

All the best.
Nikon D5100, 18-55mm VR, 55-300mm VR
These are my photos, there are many like them but these are mine.