Next round of Group Builds- Ideas?

A forum for UKAR Group Builds
Seamus

Next round of Group Builds- Ideas?

Post by Seamus »

OK, I realise there are still 6 months of Group Builds planned, but I'm bored so thought I'd get the ball rolling for themes of future builds. The recent builds seem to have reinvigorated the section, which was lulling for a time, so I have no worries about future builds receiving the same levels of interest.

So, here's how I reckon it should work. As before, people who have an idea for a GB can propose them here- lets say a maximum of three in order of preference. In doing this, you'll be committing to hosting the build. Feel free to propose ideas as broad or as specific as you like, though of course those builds tailored to a smaller theme will inevitably gain less interest. Once we've got a few ideas knocking about, perhaps Scott would be so kind as to allocate them as before :D

So, to kick off, here's three ideas from me

Foreign Service- Aircraft in any colours other than the country of it's origin
Fleet Air Arm- Any Royal Navy Aircraft from Sopwith Pup to Sea Harrier
Harrier- Self explanatory really, a build dedicated to the greatest aircraft to have ever flown (I'd have put this first, but I fear you lot don't quite share my enthusiasm for the Harrier :D)

OK, over to you guys

Cheers

Shaun :)
My shots on Flickr and Airliners

strangelookingalien

Re: Next round of Group Builds- Ideas?

Post by strangelookingalien »

How about cold war bombers? Could be some really tasty builds in that!

Monty

Post by Monty »

Experimental aircraft? That would produce some other than usual builds.
Canon EOS 50D
Canon 18-55mm IS
Canon 70-300mm IS USM F-4.0/5.6

1094 (Ely) Sqn ATC

flying_medic

Post by flying_medic »

How about Trainers? Any aircraft from basic initial training to operational conversion as long as it is in training colours (or OCU, or equivalent, markings). Could produce some quite unusual two seaters.

F_M

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

I've got to be honest Shaun I think there have been some GB's that have been responded to well (Allied Aircraft WW2 GB and Luftwaffe & 46' GB to name two) whereas there have been others that have struggled to generate any interest. I suppose that is the nature of the beast.

I will gladly join in on any UKAR GB as I don't want to break my record of entering everyone so far.

So, you've already stolen FAA :grin: . Taking a leaf out of STL's book, how about Cold War Fighters? The Arab/Isreali Wars would be another good one. Finally a helicopter build.

Deacon

richj

Post by richj »

How about special markings? ie. Anniversary paint schemes, CAG birds, etc. Get some colourful aircraft getting built on that.

Like the idea of the Harriers. But how about Phantoms as well, as they are always a favourite.
Last edited by richj on Sat 03 Apr 2010, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A40-BP

Post by A40-BP »

How about European Jets? Ie-Mirage's, Tornado, Typhoon, C-101 Aviojet etc etc, oive certainly got a few kits tucked away that would go well in here...

A revival of the transports thread might be a good idea too? Sooo many things that could be done.

Airliners?

What we think?

With dumb bombs and retarded bomblets, why don't they just use stupid missiles?

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

Mmmm, a quick think and these are some of the themes I would like to do.

1/ Arab Air Power
2/ Phabulous Phantoms
3/ It ain't Grey :grin:

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

I think that the GBs that have been quite general have had the most participants. Those that are narrower in their scope have had limited involvement. My own personal rule is that if I have a kit in the stash that fits then I'll do it - I won't buy especially for a GB.

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

How about a build around a manufacturing company e.g Hawker Siddely, North American. Each person builds a model of what the company have made. I don't know if you like the idea, though I think it'll be interesting to see :biggrin: Especially Hawker Biplanes if you do them :drool: Just an idea.

James
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

davidm

Post by davidm »

I like the idea of these two

richj-- special markings
A40-BP--European Jets

And also your Harrier on Shaun. I've got many Harrier kits that need building.

And an idea of my own to put forward is aircraft with nose art. I'm sure variety can be found there!

David

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Another, though this one could be a bit hard, trying to find the right 'special markings'. A 'Tiger Meet' style GB?? As I said before, the only problem is getting the right markings, though you can get the jets. Can you even get Tiger Meet markings for specific jets??

James
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

ianf

Post by ianf »

Hi
I like the idea of an experimental build also the helo idea and the trainers. My suggestions would be Desert storm and Operation telic. I know another forum is doing storm but it would be good in here too. Harriers are another I like, My only concern would you get 7 of 8 folk building the same subject be interesting enough?
One concern I have is the amount of participation on the last 2 builds, The Afghan one had very few and the lufftwaffe one only had 5 builders. Looking at the builds outside the Gb most appear to be modern jets and WW2 fighters. so is there sufficent interest to build any other subject? I hope so, I do think the original idea was a good one. I'm only wondering can we sustain it?

Ian
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

jimbob1194 wrote:Another, though this one could be a bit hard, trying to find the right 'special markings'. A 'Tiger Meet' style GB?? As I said before, the only problem is getting the right markings, though you can get the jets. Can you even get Tiger Meet markings for specific jets??

James

Tiger Meet/Scheme decals are freely available as Aftermarket purchases, you even get a lot of kits with them supplied as standard both in 72nd and 48th.

ianf wrote:Hi
I like the idea of an experimental build also the helo idea and the trainers. My suggestions would be Desert storm and Operation telic. I know another forum is doing storm but it would be good in here too. Harriers are another I like, My only concern would you get 7 of 8 folk building the same subject be interesting enough?
One concern I have is the amount of participation on the last 2 builds, The Afghan one had very few and the lufftwaffe one only had 5 builders. Looking at the builds outside the Gb most appear to be modern jets and WW2 fighters. so is there sufficient interest to build any other subject? I hope so, I do think the original idea was a good one. I'm only wondering can we sustain it?

Ian

Unfortunately with such a small member base we are going to struggle to sustain the GB's, they work over on forums like ARC and Britmodeller as they have member numbers into the 10's of thousands all into modelling. I feel that for the next GB we should go with a narrow margin, ie one type of a/c that served with a lot of forces that way we can all relate to it a bit better but still have a bit of diversity to it in way of colour schemes/ markings. The F4, F5, F104 all come to mind as suitable candidates

flying_medic

Post by flying_medic »

scotthldr wrote:Unfortunately with such a small member base we are going to struggle to sustain the GB's, they work over on forums like ARC and Britmodeller as they have member numbers into the 10's of thousands all into modelling. I feel that for the next GB we should go with a narrow margin, ie one type of a/c that served with a lot of forces that way we can all relate to it a bit better but still have a bit of diversity to it in way of colour schemes/ markings. The F4, F5, F104 all come to mind as suitable candidates

The main reason I post on the modelling forum here at UKAR is because it is a small member base, rather than the "10's of Thousands" on ARC or Britmodeller. I don't have a problem with small numbers of entries to GBs here. Like some others I will only enter a GB if I have something suitable in my stash, or it fits into my overall "flying career" theme (until I run out of subjects, that is). I like watching other modellers increasing their skills and trying new things, and feel that we have a nice little group of friendly modellers on here who encourage and help each other.

I also like GBs that introduce me to new subjects, and while I might not participate in each one, I think we should continue to do them. Certain GBs appeal to me - I will have at least three entries in the SAR one. If my suggested Trainers GB goes ahead, I will have more than a few for that. Seamus's Harrier GB also appeals, as there are so many different variants and colour schemes (I fancy doing a Spanish one) and like most people I have a couple of Harrier kits in my stash.

F_M

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hi all,
Having had a great time getting involved with the GBs on here, im glad the topic for the new themes has been brought up. I also dont agree with Scott as one of the reasons i take part is because we are a small group. I even have the intention of buying new kits for a future GB as i dont have my chosen subject in the stash. I also am on the look out for a kit for one of the current GBs so if someone has a spare 1/72 Revell A-26 Invader, get in touch!

As for new topics, im behind Shaun with the Fleet air arm as its one of my themes anyway. CAG birds and Phantoms is a good way to head as well and Tiger meet, is there a Fregate available in 1/72nd???

So here are my nominations for the future of the UKAR GBs
1/ Fleet Air Arm - Fighters, but there are a couple of other directions here, eg helicopters and surface attack.
2/ Phantoms - i was brought up on em!
3/ Trainers - If the one i want appears!

But why stop at 3? Cold war fighters, Tiger Meet, Helicopters, KUTA(ok i did that one myself!), im sure there is more i will think of!

Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

ArabJazzie wrote:Hi all,. I also dont agree with Scott as one of the reasons i take part is because we are a small group.

Not sure what you're disagreeing with me about. I was only answering to a post that asked if we could sustain the GB's to which I answered " it will be a struggle" and that an idea would to be more specific but at the same time with wide ranging options. As Ianf states, if you do have a Harrier GB (I have nothing against Harriers) you would have several RAF GR7's and maybe a couple of USMC/Spanish/Italian/ and probably no Indian or Thai a/c. As numerous people on here have said in the past, they wouldn't buy a kit specific to a GB, or will build anything rather than OOB which then limits the variety of finished builds. I don't mind how or what people build, but in order to sustain the GB's we need to inject more thought into what would produce more interest. The Tiger Meet idea is good as it would produce a lot of colourful builds rather than Grey on Grey, but how many kits actually come with Tiger marks? (I can think of 4 off the top of my head) Although if you decide to use AM decals you then have 100's of options.
Another problem we are facing is that a few hosts that wished to host a GB haven't supported their chosen GB for whatever reasons, this has happened twice maybe three times since the GB's started and does nothing to drum up interest, infact it has the complete opposite effect. I know I haven't entered the SAR GB yet, this is because I'm trying to finish off the F16 in time for Perth in less than 2 weeks, then I'll be entering it.

Scott

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Nice to see so much interest in a Harrier GB, I sort of wish I'd made it my number 1 now :win: Some good other ideas being thrown around also :)

I can see both arguments for running more general and more specific GBs, so perhaps it would be an idea two run one of each concurrently? Just thinking aloud.... :dunno:

ianf

Post by ianf »

Having read the thread one thing is certain there is enough interest to keep the GB going, as there are just over a dozen people taken the time to reply to this thread, from that its apparent it is a success. There have been some very valid points concerning the subject matter, maybe as shaun suggests for the first of the next round of subjects we have a specific aircraft and a general topic build and see where we go from there. I also agree with Scott, Whilst the majority of those hosting the builds were excellent at what they did, and I'm sure it increased communication either on here or by Pm between members. Just a few did nothing more than start the GB, that was disappointing. As I've been aware the last few months real life can cause time taken to build in a GB to be very restricted, so no doubt some who originally express interest will eventually take part. If I've learnt anything about this section of the forum, is its a friendly bunch of folk in here :wave:
So shaun can you list the suggestions in one post please and we can try to put them in sort of order? I would be willing to host one if that would help.

Ian
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

ianf wrote:Having read the thread one thing is certain there is enough interest to keep the GB going, as there are just over a dozen people taken the time to reply to this thread, from that its apparent it is a success. There have been some very valid points concerning the subject matter, maybe as shaun suggests for the first of the next round of subjects we have a specific aircraft and a general topic build and see where we go from there. I also agree with Scott, Whilst the majority of those hosting the builds were excellent at what they did, and I'm sure it increased communication either on here or by Pm between members. Just a few did nothing more than start the GB, that was disappointing. As I've been aware the last few months real life can cause time taken to build in a GB to be very restricted, so no doubt some who originally express interest will eventually take part. If I've learnt anything about this section of the forum, is its a friendly bunch of folk in here :wave:
So shaun can you list the suggestions in one post please and we can try to put them in sort of order? I would be willing to host one if that would help.

Ian

If everyone that wishes to take part list 2 choices each, one specific and one general. Then we can sort them out so at any one time there is one specific and a general one running side by side or another idea is to revert back to the 4 monthly timescale and overlap the GB's with a new one starting every second month, this way it will keep things fresh, but will allow more time to participate.

Here's my input

Specific= Phabulous Phantoms. Any nation, any colourscheme, any variant, any scale as long as it's a "Toom"

General= Arab Air Power. Any a/c that is or has been operated by any Arab nation as defined by the Arab League of Nations
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_League

richj

Post by richj »

Here's my 2 options for GB's

Specific = Phantoms (as per Scotthldr - Any nation, any colourscheme, any variant, any scale as long as it's a "Toom" )

General = Tiger Meet (anthing so long as it has tiger stripes and is/was capable of flight)

davidm

Post by davidm »

My options that I would go for.

Specific= Harrier

General= Arab Air Power

David

flying_medic

Post by flying_medic »

For me it would be:

Specific: Harriers.

General: Trainers. (Any aircraft, any nation, from basic training through to operational conversion, but must be in training colours or relevant OCU livery.)

F_M

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Specific- Harrier (of course! :love: :love: :love: )

General- Foreign Service (any aircraft in any markings other than the country of it's origin)

A40-BP

Post by A40-BP »

here's mine

Specific-Harrier

General-Would agree with Flying Medic with Trainers. I have a few in my stash which would go nicely in here. :worship:
With dumb bombs and retarded bomblets, why don't they just use stupid missiles?